Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times

Advertisements

Can I be knocked out while they take this test? I'm seeing the Dr tomorrow and I want to mention this test to him but I have heard it's very painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
I just had an EMG a few months back. What are you getting it for?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
It's somewhat painful, but the risks of general anaesthesia outweigh the benefits. Ask if you can bring some music to listen to.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,305 times
I had one a few years ago. It hurt, but was in no way unbearable. In my case, the temporary pain was well worth the test's diagnostic capabilities.

If I recall, each "stick" hurt quite a bit less than when you for instance have blood drawn.

I also do not recall being sore at all afterwards.

Best of luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
I had one a few years ago. It hurt, but was in no way unbearable. In my case, the temporary pain was well worth the test's diagnostic capabilities.

If I recall, each "stick" hurt quite a bit less than when you for instance have blood drawn.

I also do not recall being sore at all afterwards.

Best of luck!
Thanks. My mother had this test (years ago) and said it was painful and most people have said it is, so if they think so then I know it will be painful to me. I'd like to think positive but I don't want to be in there and make a fool of myself and have to ask them to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It's somewhat painful, but the risks of general anaesthesia outweigh the benefits. Ask if you can bring some music to listen to.
What about taking a pill to knock me out? I don't think music would help me but it's a good idea. Put it this way, I have to take a pill to get my teeth cleaned every six months, so I would imagine getting this test will be painful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I just had an EMG a few months back. What are you getting it for?
I'm not sure I am getting it. I have FM and chronic Lyme disease but I have always felt I have nerve damage as well. I'm in pain all the time and when I describe it to people they always say it's a nerve issue so I wanted to look into this test.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thanks. My mother had this test (years ago) and said it was painful and most people have said it is, so if they think so then I know it will be painful to me. I'd like to think positive but I don't want to be in there and make a fool of myself and have to ask them to stop.

What about taking a pill to knock me out? I don't think music would help me but it's a good idea. Put it this way, I have to take a pill to get my teeth cleaned every six months, so I would imagine getting this test will be painful to me.

I'm not sure I am getting it. I have FM and chronic Lyme disease but I have always felt I have nerve damage as well. I'm in pain all the time and when I describe it to people they always say it's a nerve issue so I wanted to look into this test.

I'm sorry to hear of your chronic lyme disease, I have a good friend that has been battling that for a few years now.

I had an EMG in my neck checking for nerve damage to my vocal chords (from thyroidectomy surgery)
I'm not going to sugar coat it, it was painful, but the irony of the whole thing for me was, when it was painful in a few spots, it was because there wasn't any nerve damage. However, on the side where I didn't feel any pain, just pressure, well....that's where the nerve damage is.

They did do a local for the needle insertion, if that's a problem for you.
And it also didn't take very long. I've had more painful things happen to me...

Last edited by bellalunatic; 02-28-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
You should definitely ask your doctor. I am not sure if medication could affect the results of the test.

I do not have a high pain threshold and I promise you, the test was not difficult to "get through." Truthfully, I spent the entire time wondering if the medical residents could see that I wasn't wearing any panties under my gown!

An EMG is a very useful test. In my case, the test was performed on my hands, feet, arms and legs.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
There is no pill to 'knock you out.' 'Knocked out' is general anaesthesia and that always carries risks. You might want an anxiolytic (like diazepam) but my guess is that the anticipation is worse than the reality of the actual procedure.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There is no pill to 'knock you out.' 'Knocked out' is general anaesthesia and that always carries risks. You might want an anxiolytic (like diazepam) but my guess is that the anticipation is worse than the reality of the actual procedure.
Yes, I would totally second that! I was way more concerned with the procedure itself. I had to keep reminding myself that at least now there would be something definitive, and then I could move on to learning how to deal with it, correct it or treat it.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Try asking your doc for a prescription for Neurontin. In layman's terms, it calms down the nerves so they don't transmit as strong a pain signal, or any pain signal. It's been a miracle for me and my sciatica from a bad spine. If it doesn't work, or if you've already tried it, that's different. Take it at night as it is quite sedating until you adjust to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness