Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 04:08 PM

450 posts, read 5,010,419 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into switching to organic makeup. I'm getting increasingly concerned with the health effects of makeup and the toxic chemicals that are in a lot of these products.

For instance, take blush. When putting it on, since it's a powder, you inhale a lot of those particles. Does this worry anyone, what women are exposing their lungs to on a daily basis? Not to mention eating off lipstick, rubbing creams into the skin, personal care products, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,643,062 times
It is good that you brought this up. Almost no one has ever taken this problem into consideration. If only they knew what was in that stuff and how much of it is absorbed into their bodies.
Beware of those Organics. There is a big flap right now over the chemicals in them.
All creams need something to keep them from degrading.
If only we women didn't think we needed this stuff.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM

37,054 posts, read 42,002,003 times
Only allergic reactions. Everything else is on the same "worry" level as the air I breath.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM

317 posts, read 1,746,846 times
Good topic- I never considered what might be in makeup. Kind of scary when you think about it with so many items not being made in the US.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,696,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
It is good that you brought this up. Almost no one has ever taken this problem into consideration. If only they knew what was in that stuff and how much of it is absorbed into their bodies.
Beware of those Organics. There is a big flap right now over the chemicals in them.
All creams need something to keep them from degrading.
If only we women didn't think we needed this stuff.
Which "organics" and what chemicals are you referring to?
If you're going to make a statement like that, i think it's important to be specific and let it be known which brands and what chemicals you are talking about.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,762,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I'm looking into switching to organic makeup. I'm getting increasingly concerned with the health effects of makeup and the toxic chemicals that are in a lot of these products.

For instance, take blush. When putting it on, since it's a powder, you inhale a lot of those particles. Does this worry anyone, what women are exposing their lungs to on a daily basis? Not to mention eating off lipstick, rubbing creams into the skin, personal care products, etc.

My daughter and I recently did some research on make-up, as she has eczema on her face, that she never had before. We found some surprising information!! That make-up in some people actually causes eczema...And we noticed it seemed to be growning... she stopped using the face powder and its not as bad, and the eczema has stopped spreading!! I myself have never really worn make-up and I never knew about its health/skin effects until all this. We, as consumers need to know whats in make-up and all the possible side effects, Its not right that we are left in the dark about it and have to research it on our own. You see all those commercials on TV advertising medications with a list of side effects they rattle off!! I never hear anything on the effects of make-up, not on TV advertisments or on any make-up packaging.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM

92 posts, read 254,268 times
This is very interesting. I NEVER thought once about the health problems makeup might pose to women. I myself don't wear much makeup at all (some mascara and that's about it). So, naturally, it is not something that would have crossed my mind.

I know that makeup can cause more acne. For instance, if you use a pad to apply a foundation, that pad could be a host for lots of unwanted bacterial growth, thereby spreading bacteria into skin pores and causing acne. Likewise for semi-liquid foundations (like the mousse stuff). I never thought about inhaling powders, though! I can definitely see how that could cause skin problems.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,201,564 times
I have become concerned about the health effects of **anything** that I put on my skin. I use olive oil for moisturizer, wear no makeup, and use a carefully researched sunscreen only when necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness