U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 AM

153 posts, read 803,681 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with GERD, just off of symptoms such as nighttime heartburn. I was prescribed omeprazole, and it helped with the heartburn. Soon after I got different symptoms which were occassional and are now daily. I feel like my life is slipping away from me. It happens mostly at night (I dont sleep much because of it), I get an irritation in my throat that sometimes feels like a hair, then start gagging and sometimes vomiting. It happens almost all night long. I am nauseous most of the day and it happens about once a day also.
I went to my doc and she has now had me try Nexium, which is not working. I do not know if my doctor understands the severity of the problem, I cannot locate much about it on the internet. I need help. Does anyone else have these symptoms? If so what do you do for it. I feel like I am going to lose my mind soon.
Please Help. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,112,354 times
Have you tried sleeping up on those wedges? (so your head is propped) Have you tried diet change or having a glass of room temp water before bed?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 AM

153 posts, read 803,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Have you tried sleeping up on those wedges? (so your head is propped) Have you tried diet change or having a glass of room temp water before bed?
I have not tried any of those. What is the wedge? What should I change in my diet?

Do you have the same issues? I am so desperate, it is starting to make me crazy. I dread going to bed, then I am tired all day. Its nuts.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,112,354 times
For food guidance:
Acid Reflux Diet - Safe Foods for Heartburn Sufferers - Safe Foods for the Acid Reflux Diet

The foam wedges I am talking about:
Amazon.com: Prop-Up Pillow Memory Foam Bed Wedge Incline Wedge Pillow: Kitchen & Dining

^^^thats just an example. I did not buy from them so I can't speak for that store.
I just got my dad some extra firm pillows to stack and those worked too. (he hates foam stuff)

I don't have chronic heartburn but all the common foods can give me "hot neck" every once inawhile. I usually just drink water and it goes away. My father did not want to spend money on the pills so I helped him with the food,pillow drink water trick. He still sometimes takes a prevacid. But he does not have to live on it. He knows he is going to have to take it too, because its usually after a "overeating all the wrong things" couple of days.

I would eat some of that activa yogurt too for a couple weeks. Thats always good for digestion down the whole line so to speak as long as you can handle dairy. If not look for "good belly" fruit shots at whole foods.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,989,121 times
If nothing helps you, ask your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist. They can do a study called an EGD, in which a scope is passed down into your stomach, looking all the way as it goes. You are out, of course - this is done in a hospital, frequently in congunction with a colonoscopy if you have GERD and have never had ti done. However, doctors do it by itself all the time.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM

14,146 posts, read 26,214,219 times
Google the BRAT diet. It's a bland diet frequently used for people with ulcers. It might help you.

You have gotten some good suggestions already and I have a couple to add. Don't eat anything for 3 to 4 hours before you go to bed. Limit your dairy products, especially for the last half of the day. Also take a couple plain old Tums about an hour before bed.

There are many meds for this. If one doesn't work, try another. You might ask for samples of several different types to try. Have you tried Reglan at all yet?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,988,018 times
Default Gerd

SouthernBelleinUtah provided good advice but I would like to add my observations.

I was diagnosed then scoped about 2 years. I took every pill imageable/ prescribed and not one worked. Then, I went to a gas doctor (I'm not even trying to spell the official title) who recommended surgery but he allowed me to attempt a diet change. And the only thing that worked was that diet change.

What I did, I started with basic foods that are notorious for causing problems and then I added my own personal foods. A quick view, I cut sugar intake way down, absolutely NO tomato products and limit my coffee intake. And if its going to be a bad night, I 've noticed sleeping my right side helps significally. So much so, I cannot sleep any other way.

My opinion, go to a GERD doctor but in the meantime become your own doctor and start documenting problem foods.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:28 PM

35 posts, read 301,900 times
my husband used to live on rolaids and tums. we both ate what i now call SAD - standard american diet.

Since changing our diet and eliminating processed foods my husband never has heartburn or indigestion. We now eat the way our parents/grandparents did. Real food. That simple.

No fast food. Nothing from a box. Real ingredients. No added chemicals.

This certainly worked for us. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,151,366 times
There is a possibility you have LERD, I would get checked out by an ENT.
I have that and had no heartburn but I thought I had throat cancer my throat was so sore and my voice so hoarse and I would gag......

Everything you do for LERD is the same as for GERD but at one time my nexium dose was 80mg a day. The reflux here is not as acidic but it goes higher and damages your vocal chords and upper esophagous. ......... it would be worth researching and asking about.

One thing I have found is anything that helps sleep makes the problem worse. Do you eat at least 3 hours before bedtime? Sleep with your head up - you may need to get bed risers instead of a wedge.......

By watching diet and loosing weight I am down to 20mg omeprazole twice a day.......and hoping to get that down as I am getting ready to stop a BP med known to have reflux as a side effect [with doctors ok]. I was at one point eating about 8 tums along with the 80mg nexium.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,959,266 times
Our gastro did a scope and I had many,many polyps-he stretched my esofagus and never a problem-I used to gag,choke,etc-just Nexium every morning and 3 yrs I am fine. God luck and hope relief is yours as I suffered for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness