Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times

Advertisements

If they can do the job and I'm comfortable around them, I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
I have been a patient at a Toronto hospital for over 10 years.

The Family Practice unit has a team system, that has a number of Doctors on three different teams.

I have a primary care Doctor, who directs two medical students , who are spending a year in Family Practice, as Residents. I usually like the way this works, as I get lots of attention and follow up by my main DR.

What I didn't like was when I was assigned a female Dr from Bahrain, who came in covered head to toe in a brown robe, with just her eyes uncovered. She took five minutes just to get her stethoscope into her ears, by threading it up from her feet, and into her head covering/veil. She asked me some questions and I could not understand a word that she was saying. After a few minutes of trying to understand her, I went out of the exam room and asked the secretary to find my primary Dr, and when he arrived, I explained that I didn't want this woman treating me. He said that I was not the only patient that had complained, and I would see him, in a few minutes.

I never saw her again. The fact that she was a woman was not important.... It was the communication barrier that caused the problem. Over the past 10 years I have had both male and female Residents take care of me at the Women`s College Hospital Family Practice unit, with good results.

Jim b

Toronto.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
I don't usually care what gender a doctor or dentist is -- except for my gynecologist -- for that I prefer a woman. Not just modesty issues, but because only a woman can really understand female body issues.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Wait until you're disrespected by a woman doctor.
not sure what you mean

Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
A female DR understanding a females body issues?

A Male or Female go thru the same medical training.

Last time I had a visit to the VA Hospital for my Prostate exam it was done by a Female Resident MD with NO complaints from me as she was young and pretty and well educated I'm sure.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
No one cares about the gender until the day their privacy is violated and they start to care.
They are not violating privacy. They are treating your illnesses with your consent. But I guess the above attitude is predictable from someone who is so wrapped up in hate for the medical industry that you go around suggesting that doctors want to KEEP you ill and sick and do not want to make you better.

I am not sure where the root of your hate for the medical industry stems from but it is leading to horrifically ill informed and even dangerous posts on this forum.

Also, still waiting for the citation requested in post #90 of this thread.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,138 times
Not violating privacy huh? I don't have to guess, I know your attitude is patronizing and predictable, like so many providers, who apparently consider patient rights nothing but empty words. Paternalistic medicine is dead; get over it. Being treated with dignity and respect isn't rocket science. The fundamental issue is who defines privacy and dignity and how it's implemented equitably for all patients regardless of gender. News flash, the patient defines it; we are after all the PATIENT and paying customer. I shouldn't have to ask, insist, or demand to be treated with respect. Yet my real world experience with healthcare providers has been exactly the opposite.

I prefer male physicians for male health issues for the same reasons many women prefer female physicians for female health issues. When seeing a physician for the first time, I can be sure of exactly three things; gender, board certification, and the true professional status they've earned that permits me to discuss extremely personal health issues with a stranger and drop my pants for the resulting exam or recommended procedure. My consent isn't a blanket authorization for the female nurse/assistant, who've I've never met, arriving in the exam room unannounced, with little if any introduction, and no explanation of why their presence is required.

Or the male PA for a full body dermatology exam, who walked into the exam room with a female (nurse, medical assistant, tech, chaperon, or receptionist for all I know), without my consent. There is a professional distinction and their failure to identify themselves correctly, is at a minimum, ethically questionable if not illegal.

Or the female charge nurse, after being prepped privately for a cardiac catheterization procedure by a female tech, completely exposing me from the chest down in the OR, and shaving from the waistline down to include my inner thigh and genitals, while numerous "observers" watched, because the tech did a "poor" job.

Or the female nurse who stated that she would catheterize me if I couldn't urinate (my first attempt immobilized flat on my back) in the next 10 minutes even though I didn't need to urinate.

Or the three female nurses who just walked in and observed while two other female nurses obtained x-rays requiring complete nudity from the waist down.

Our healthcare is not a spectator sport. Whatever happened to patient advocacy, welfare, privacy, dignity, and simple consent prior to the event? If the genders were reversed, these same female providers would likely raise hell, and well they should. In contrast we're labeled as difficult patients!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM

84 posts, read 123,799 times
I am a man and I prefer male doctors. Don't know why but I just do

Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524 View Post
Not violating privacy huh? I don't have to guess, I know your attitude is patronizing and predictable, like so many providers, who apparently consider patient rights nothing but empty words. Paternalistic medicine is dead; get over it. Being treated with dignity and respect isn't rocket science. The fundamental issue is who defines privacy and dignity and how it's implemented equitably for all patients regardless of gender. News flash, the patient defines it; we are after all the PATIENT and paying customer. I shouldn't have to ask, insist, or demand to be treated with respect. Yet my real world experience with healthcare providers has been exactly the opposite.
The disrespect for patients privacy is reaching unbearable levels. If someone brought students to watch me, I would leave right away and file a complaint. I'm the one who decides what's done or not done in regards to my body and privacy.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM

632 posts, read 932,674 times
It makes sense to me that a person would choose a doctor of their own gender. Male and female bodies are different so if the doctor has the same parts, they can relate more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness