Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
The only time it matters to me is if it's a gynecologist. Then I prefer a woman, although my last one was a male and he was very good and professional. Put you right at ease. A relative also went to him, so I went on her recommendation.
I'm sorry we had to move. I've had both male and female gyn's and I found one (male) who like in the
Seinfeld episode: every patient of his felt at ease. Wish I had him when I was pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
I really don't care. If they are competent with a good personality and actually listen to me, I couldn't care less about gender or anything else. My longtime ob/gyn was male -- when we moved, I had to find a new doctor who is female. I like her, but not as much as my old doctor. I've had bad experiences with doctors of both genders, and truly great ones with both genders as well. Non-issue here.
Ditto. I don't care which gender. I just want someone who will listen, have experience and be thorough.
Let me stress......a doctor who actually listens to their patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Except for the pediatrician I had as a child, I've always had male doctors, but would like to have a female, ESPECIALLY for a gynecologist, which I've never had before yet.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM

76 posts, read 89,678 times
It would have to be a man. No female doctor will be laying her hands on me.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJack12 View Post
It would have to be a man. No female doctor will be laying her hands on me.
Have you ever checked the data on malpractice? The vast majority of malpractice suits -won- in the USA, have been won against male doctors.

The majority of doctors whose licenses have been suspended have been male.

The majority of doctors who have made medical mistakes have been male.

The majority of doctors who had taken various "perks" from pharmaceutical companies (ranging from free 3-martini lunches, free vacation trips, free golf, and even cash), back before the FDA cracked down on it, were male.

The majority of doctors who molest their patients are male.

You enjoy your male doctor. I hope your life insurance premiums are paid up

Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Have you ever checked the data on malpractice? The vast majority of malpractice suits -won- in the USA, have been won against male doctors.

The majority of doctors whose licenses have been suspended have been male.

The majority of doctors who have made medical mistakes have been male.

The majority of doctors who had taken various "perks" from pharmaceutical companies (ranging from free 3-martini lunches, free vacation trips, free golf, and even cash), back before the FDA cracked down on it, were male.

The majority of doctors who molest their patients are male.

You enjoy your male doctor. I hope your life insurance premiums are paid up
Congrats. That doesn't change a word in my opinion. Any female doctor would be turned away.

I fortunately live in a democratic country that gives you options - you have a public health system and you can also have insurance if you want to. You go to whatever doctor you like.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJack12 View Post
Congrats. That doesn't change a word in my opinion. Any female doctor would be turned away.

I fortunately live in a democratic country that gives you options - you have a public health system and you can also have insurance if you want to. You go to whatever doctor you like.
And if it's an emergency and the only doctor available at the moment is female, and you refuse treatment - good luck getting the insurance company to cover anything that happens to you after that.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And if it's an emergency and the only doctor available at the moment is female, and you refuse treatment - good luck getting the insurance company to cover anything that happens to you after that.
Where I live, emergencies go to public hospitals. You never pay anything either way, whatever you do (I know this is really astonishing to Americans).

Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,883 times
I doesn't matter what gender they are. More important things to address.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet_Synphony View Post
More important things to address.
To many people, privacy and modesty are appreciated. What's important depends entirely on the person.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 PM

334 posts, read 716,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Is an opposite sex doctor a deal breaker for you?
Not a deal breaker, but as a man of a certain age, the "glove of doom" is a part of my annual visit. My PCP is male and I'm not looking to change, but if I had to change, my wife's PCP, a woman who seems to be very qualified, would certainly be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness