Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:31 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times

Advertisements

A few years ago my primary wasn't available for my yearly checkup and I got his new addition to the practice. She is a woman and I found the woman doctor knows more about "women" problems (not just menstral either) and I switched over to her. Now that I'm in a different town but still with the same medical company, I chose another woman doctor for my care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Perhaps you're not really understanding what a brain injury means. A brain injury isn't a cut finger. It's the kind of thing that - left untreated - can cause you to die a very painful death.
In his case there's no better treatment than resting at home.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:58 AM

168 posts, read 314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
But he had on UNDERWEAR and a gown!
Still, I would never feel comfortable exposing myself like that to a strange female.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 PM

168 posts, read 314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Except the poster in question was in a car accident recently, refused to go to the hospital when the ambulance arrived, suffered headaches and dizziness and other symptoms, finally went to a doctor and found out he has a brain injury, rejected treatment, refused to stay when it was recommended that he stay to be monitored at least overnight, has a father who works in that hospital and complains he treats his son like a five-year-old, and went -back- to the hospital afterall. And rejected the doctor because she's female.

In short - this person isn't looking for advice, or even to offer an opinion. He's looking for people to say he's right.
I'm looking to spend as little resources as possible.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
I have always had male physicians. I've lived in several different places and of necessity had to seek out new doctors when I moved. But they've all been male - luck of the draw. I see a Primary Care, a Cardiologist, an Oncologist, a Gastroenterologist, and am still following up with my cancer surgeon, although after this year, I'll probably only be seeing him once a year based on current test results.
My heart surgery was done by a male. You can barely see the part of the scar that extends above the first button on my blouse.

Although my Primary Care has a female PA in his practice, I've only had to see her once. She was okay.

My only experience with a female doctor was on a recent hospital admission when she insisted to me that my Primary Care no longer practiced at the hospital to which I was transported by ambulance and that she would be my physician while I was hospitalized. ***The next morning, my Primary Care showed up, made his displeasure known to the hospital admin. and I no longer had to deal with the female. And no, I really didn't like her officious manner. I don't claim that makes all female doctors insufferable. Not at all. But that was my only experience.

During my baby-factory days, I bore five children. I had five different OBs. (I lived in several different places) They were all male. Some of them even had male partners in the practice whom I saw, and who saw me !, on occasion. No complaints.

***To clarify: I didn't refuse her care, but she was wrong in insisting that my PC no longer practiced there. She based it on an assumption that because one doctor in his practice had resigned from the facility, that they all had. (They hadn't) It was her manner in "informing" me that made me dislike her personality. But I don't know what kind of care she might have given, had my own doctor not shown up the next day to take over my care.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
While I would like to say that it doesn't matter, my preference is a female doctor. My family doctor and dentist are both female. When I was seriously hurt at work, every doctor was male. While the male doctors are excellent, I still prefer female. I just think similar experiences help on the personal level. Since my family doctor and dentist are close to my age, we often talk about things that are not medically related, especially my family doctor. I have been with her since she opened her office and we know a lot about each other.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If I have a cold I don't care if its a male. But if it involves touching private places, I want a female doctor. Unless its an emergency and I'm in the ER, they'll skip it in that case. I think preferences should be respected. I would FULLY respect a man wanting a male nurse as well.

When we go under the care of a doctor we do not abrigate our personal rights.
This is exactly how I feel. I don't mind having a primary doctor who's a woman, but if I have problems down there then I'm going to go to a clinic to see a male doctor or see another doctor for that particular issue.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Personally I don't care if it's male, female, hermaphrodite, eunuch, or transgender. As long as they're qualified to do the job and treat me like a human being, I'm fine with whoever it is. My "assigned" PCP is a female, but this is the first female "GP" I've ever had. I've had both male and female gynecologists in my life. The first one I had, was my mom's. He delivered me when my mom went into labor with me, and he was the gyn for my sister as well. The guy who lazer-zapped 1/3 of my cervix when I had severe dysplasia was a guy, but then he moved to Hawaii, and my next gyn was female. My dentists have all been male, though the periodontist who gave me my implant and did the bone grafting this past Friday is a woman.

Personally I don't understand why anyone would care what gender is taking care of them. I mean - if your proctologist is a male - you're okay with that..but what if he's a gay male? Would that change things? Would you care then? Or do you just feel that by virtue of the fact that he has a penis, he is somehow more qualified than a woman to understand your anatomy?

Same question regarding a gynecologist for a woman - if she's a lesbian, does that change your opinion of her ability to treat you as a patient, in a professional manner? Or does the existence of a womb somehow make her more qualified to understand your anatomy? Many ob/gyns have no kids of their own - males and females both. Which is more important to you: the fact that she's female, or the fact that she has been pregnant and given birth? Because - if she's female, and she's never been pregnant, what makes her any more qualified than a man with the same education to understand your obstetrics issues if you're pregnant?

I just totally don't understand this gender issue.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,554 times
It might be irrelevant to you but people have the right to preserve their modesty and refuse to be seen by someone if they don't want to.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I'm sure it happens very often.
I am sure you are. I am just curious if you have any basis for being sure of that or do you just believe it because you beleive it. Any evidence - numbers - citations - studies - anything at all - or just a single anecdote from which you are leaping into a vast generalisation and sweeping statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness