U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 PM

82,503 posts, read 75,523,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Another "I don't care" vote.

Gender is so far down on the list of my doctor preference that it doesn't register. Communicative, takes time to talk about what concerns me, capable and competent: important.
Where do you find doctors like this? I've lived in 3 cities, and have never been able to find insurance-based doctors that take any of my chronic concerns seriously. They just tell the patient they're fine, or nothing's wrong, or you're imagining it, and send you away, and then bill insurance to pay for having provided no service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,951,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I used to not care about my doctor's gender, but lately I've had a lot of bad experiences with male doctors (I'm a woman). I've only had good experiences with female doctors. I have a male gyn, but no longer plan to continue going to him, and will be switching to a female gyn from now on. Overall, after all of the bad experiences with male doctors I've had in the last year or two, I think I'm going to only seek out female doctors in the future. I think they're more sensitive, caring and, quite frankly, don't have the jerk personality that most male doctors I've encountered seem to.
It usually matters for ob/gyn, because it's unbelievably creepy to have a guy feeling people up there. As for automatically being sensitive or caring, that's a stereotype. The sad fact may be that alot of it is conditioning, but there are guys that aren't like that.

I'm a guy that would prefer to have female doctors. Frankly for about that reason, I want someone sensitive, caring, and no jerk personality. Guy doctors tend (but as I say not universally) to "know what I'm doing" and be inordinately rough with a much less careful surgical manner. Also, if I'm gonna die from some bad cut made to an artery, the last thing I saw before that I'd like to be a half-decent looking woman, not some guy with warts and facial hair.

Oh let's face it, men shouldn't be doctors, they should be nurses. It helps curb their unsufferable arrogance, and between women hating male doctors (blame ob/gyn first), and men having a fetish for women in charge, there's not much place for a guy who "knows what he's doing" at the expense of people's health, when you can get a kind, sensitive, and caring type.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,179,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
It usually matters for ob/gyn, because it's unbelievably creepy to have a guy feeling people up there. As for automatically being sensitive or caring, that's a stereotype. The sad fact may be that alot of it is conditioning, but there are guys that aren't like that.

I'm a guy that would prefer to have female doctors. Frankly for about that reason, I want someone sensitive, caring, and no jerk personality. Guy doctors tend (but as I say not universally) to "know what I'm doing" and be inordinately rough with a much less careful surgical manner. Also, if I'm gonna die from some bad cut made to an artery, the last thing I saw before that I'd like to be a half-decent looking woman, not some guy with warts and facial hair.

Oh let's face it, men shouldn't be doctors, they should be nurses. It helps curb their unsufferable arrogance, and between women hating male doctors (blame ob/gyn first), and men having a fetish for women in charge, there's not much place for a guy who "knows what he's doing" at the expense of people's health, when you can get a kind, sensitive, and caring type.
When you contrast your first paragraph with the bolded statement above, I'm nominating this for
Comedy Post of the Day.

How do you know that it's "unbelievably creepy to have a guy feeling people up there"?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,612,871 times
Male, female, it doesn't matter to me. The only thing that matters to me is the use of thought behind your actions not blindly guess. I've had both bad female and male doctors. I got a test done and they sent me a letter in the male stating, the results are in, you'll have to set another appointment to hear them.... umm no. I'll go to someone else.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 AM

681 posts, read 1,062,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
LOL if that was the case I'd go to another country.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM

9,412 posts, read 12,087,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
It might be irrelevant to you but people have the right to preserve their modesty and refuse to be seen by someone if they don't want to.
Unless it is an emergent situation and then no-one should give a flying fart which gender is saving their arse.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 PM

681 posts, read 1,062,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Unless it is an emergent situation and then no-one should give a flying fart which gender is saving their arse.
Well, to me it matters regardless of the situation.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM

9,412 posts, read 12,087,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Well, to me it matters regardless of the situation.
Oh whatever. I've been an RN for 20 years, no-one has ever said complained about the gender of the Dr or the RNs or the EMTs saving their life. Wait til you're in that life and death situation...you might just realise all your blustering and hand wringing is all a load of nonsense...or maybe you'll just die because you wouldn't allow a female Medical Professional touch you. Your loss not ours.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:34 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,179,549 times
When there's a nine and a half pound human inside me trying to get out, I don't care if it's the doorman at the Plaza Hotel, as long as he knows how to help!

I can't believe that anyone thinks a doctor of the opposite sex is getting any kind of gratification by checking the "down there" of a patient. (The word is 'genitals')

Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,840,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When there's a nine and a half pound human inside me trying to get out, I don't care if it's the doorman at the Plaza Hotel, as long as he knows how to help!

I can't believe that anyone thinks a doctor of the opposite sex is getting any kind of gratification by checking the "down there" of a patient. (The word is 'genitals')
Yeah I'm still waiting for the people who actually care about gender, to answer my questions. Here they are again:

Quote:
Personally I don't understand why anyone would care what gender is taking care of them. I mean - if your proctologist is a male - you're okay with that..but what if he's a gay male? Would that change things? Would you care then? Or do you just feel that by virtue of the fact that he has a penis, he is somehow more qualified than a woman to understand your anatomy?

Same question regarding a gynecologist for a woman - if she's a lesbian, does that change your opinion of her ability to treat you as a patient, in a professional manner? Or does the existence of a womb somehow make her more qualified to understand your anatomy? Many ob/gyns have no kids of their own - males and females both. Which is more important to you: the fact that she's female, or the fact that she has been pregnant and given birth? Because - if she's female, and she's never been pregnant, what makes her any more qualified than a man with the same education to understand your obstetrics issues if you're pregnant?
And to the person who'd rather have a female grabbing his crotch while he coughs - is it because he's expecting to get some sexual gratification of his own, by being in a vulnerable and submissive state to a woman? Or is it because he's a homophobe and gets freaked out at the idea of a man touching his genitals, even when the man is a doctor making sure he's in good health?

What's the deal, really? I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness