U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM

168 posts, read 277,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
The disrespect for patients privacy is reaching unbearable levels. If someone brought students to watch me, I would leave right away and file a complaint. I'm the one who decides what's done or not done in regards to my body and privacy.
And whenever you mention that you are the one who decides, they get furious. Doctors egos are their biggest interest, not your well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 AM

158 posts, read 182,535 times
Never been to the doctor in my life but I would only want a man doctor. Female doctors are not only very professional but I've heard they enjoy making fun of patients.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM

302 posts, read 432,612 times
I have had both men and women as doctors. While I would prefer male doctors, if I had no choice, I would take the female. My OB/GYN was male and he was so patient and listened. I had a female OB/GYN for an ER visit, was the rudest person saying that I just needed to "suck it up and stop whining".

Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,870,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
I have had both men and women as doctors. While I would prefer male doctors, if I had no choice, I would take the female. My OB/GYN was male and he was so patient and listened. I had a female OB/GYN for an ER visit, was the rudest person saying that I just needed to "suck it up and stop whining".
See now, that would've tipped me off that it was "an ER visit" that stuck me with a rude doctor, and not the fact that she was a female.

And the male doctor being so awesome for you, was that he was *your* doctor - not some random ER doctor who happened to be on call when you showed up, and didn't know you from a hole in the wall.

If the situation was reversed -

If you had a female OB/GYN who you had since you first went to one - maybe the same one who delivered you when your mom gave birth... it's more likely you'd think SHE was awesome, patient, kind and understanding.

And then you'd show up for an emergency visit (which indicates something a whole lot more traumatic than just a pap smear or a mysterious lump on your breast that you're just now noticing) in the hospital, and some strange man whose name you either can't pronounce, or don't know at all, wearing a facemask and gloves starts groping around your private parts...

I'd be more unnerved by that, personally. But it has nothing to do with the doctors' genders. It has to do more with the setting, and the history (or lack thereof) with the doctors, and the nature of the visit.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:20 PM

6,184 posts, read 4,049,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
See now, that would've tipped me off that it was "an ER visit" that stuck me with a rude doctor, and not the fact that she was a female.

And the male doctor being so awesome for you, was that he was *your* doctor - not some random ER doctor who happened to be on call when you showed up, and didn't know you from a hole in the wall.

If the situation was reversed -

If you had a female OB/GYN who you had since you first went to one - maybe the same one who delivered you when your mom gave birth... it's more likely you'd think SHE was awesome, patient, kind and understanding.

And then you'd show up for an emergency visit (which indicates something a whole lot more traumatic than just a pap smear or a mysterious lump on your breast that you're just now noticing) in the hospital, and some strange man whose name you either can't pronounce, or don't know at all, wearing a facemask and gloves starts groping around your private parts...

I'd be more unnerved by that, personally. But it has nothing to do with the doctors' genders. It has to do more with the setting, and the history (or lack thereof) with the doctors, and the nature of the visit.
Yep, this. I prefer female gynos, but I have seen men and they have been fine. A man delivered my son, but he was on call as my regular female OB was sick. He was okay, not great. My own female doctor delivered my daughter and she was wonderful. Her partner, though, was a woman who I did not like at all. She was the one who checked me into the hospital the night I went into labor, but I was so happy to see my own doctor once morning came! I had a miscarriage several years ago and ended up with a hemorrhage in the ER; the male doctor was abrupt and kind of rude, but I attributed it to him being an ER doctor who had a lot of things going on, not to him being a man.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 PM

158 posts, read 182,535 times
I think it's really curious that a woman can request a female doctor at any time but if a man requests a male doctor, he's sexist.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 AM

104 posts, read 426,961 times
I am a female and have had both male and female doctors, including OBGYNs. I am fine with their gender, the most important issue for me is their bedside manner. I used to think that female doctors were more were compassionate or empathetic, but this past week, after visiting with an Indian female psychiatrist, I felt worse than before I went to see her. This woman was so unempathetic and basically lectured me about the medicines I am currently on, refused to sign some papers stating my diagnosis and basically told me to suck it up or go see someone else. I see a male Indian doctor for allergies and he is the most mild mannered and caring doctor I have worked wih in a long time. He is of Indian descent but was raised in the United States versus the female doctor came straight from India. I wonder if there are just cultural differences between foreign born doctors and those raised in the US that I am perceiving as rude and uncaring whereas they see it as being authoritative and direct. I have found that I do enjoy working with nurse practicioners of either gender. They have more time to listen and are not afraid to tell you when they won't know something or that they need to double check with the physician. I prefer honestly in whatever gender medical personnel is treating me to doctors who pretend to know things about your own body better than yourself.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:32 AM

9,957 posts, read 16,571,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
I think it's really curious that a woman can request a female doctor at any time but if a man requests a male doctor, he's sexist.

Or Gay

Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 AM

35,286 posts, read 43,483,616 times
If i have a medical problem the gender of the doctor is irrelevent,I'm assuming they are professionals that have dealt with the human body thousands of times and would treat me as just another pierce of meat with a problem, my gender i assume from their point of view is also irrelevant

Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 AM

1,996 posts, read 2,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If i have a medical problem the gender of the doctor is irrelevent,I'm assuming they are professionals that have dealt with the human body thousands of times and would treat me as just another pierce of meat with a problem, my gender i assume from their point of view is also irrelevant
I agree. I have both. Just fix me, or tell me how to fix myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness