U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 AM

325 posts, read 248,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
My experience is that female doctors have been more compassionate and willing to listen.
But usually far less respecting of a man's privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:23 PM

5,321 posts, read 11,499,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWarrior View Post
A generalization with no factual basis or even personal experience based on your previous post where you state you have only ever been to a doctor once and it was a male..

Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM

16,078 posts, read 9,429,849 times
I see many doctors and don't care about the gender of any of them except my gynecologist. I prefer a male gyno.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
A generalization with no factual basis or even personal experience based on your previous post where you state you have only ever been to a doctor once and it was a male..
Sure. Doesn't change a thing. I know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 PM

5,321 posts, read 11,499,297 times
Quote:
Sure. Doesn't change a thing. I know what I'm talking about.
No....you don't know what you are talking about....clear from reading your posts...

Old 09-10-2014, 04:13 PM

21,290 posts, read 15,656,923 times
Male here, with a female Doc. She's experienced and listens to me. No reason to change.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:05 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,013,063 times
I have a male PCP who is great. He is my gynecologist as well.

If/when I move, I will probably choose a female depending on if there are any male PCPs in my area subspecializing in my needs. *In general* I think females are better listeners and more apt to consider many possible solutions to a problem. (Yes, I'm generalizing but women also have a larger corpus callosm and utilize *both sides of their brains* more efficiently.)

Age is a factor as well. I'd prefer to be seen by someone who is just hitting her stride in mid- career and be followed by her as she does. I've had very bad experiences on both ends of the age spectrum.

Two examples: one elder male MD told me that "cutting off moles could cause cancer. " I didn't update him but was shocked he still thought this way. I was in my early 20s and did not yet have the self confidence to challenge him. The kicker was that he REFUSED to remove a mole from where it hit my jeans even after I told him if he didn't, I would. And i did. Then I came back to get it completely removed only to have him scold me and tell me again I could be giving myself cancer (wtf?!)

Another overly chipper nurse was doing my gynecological exam and told me I had a lump in my breast like I just won the lottery. A lot of fuss turned out to be nothing but I'd prefer someone who knows the look and the feel of the "something from the nothing" already.

Lastly, for some reason, I just can't handle female psychiatrists *in general.* I've worked w many who were very passive aggressive and NOT open-minded as most female MDs are. The last one I saw about a decade ago actually told me I "would look better w makeup" because I am "so pale" and she insisted on weighing me at every session. My weight was low at the time but it was not one of my chief complaints. It did not fluctuate for the year that I saw her. (FWIW- she was overweight and wore a lot of makeup.)

I am a bona fide and unabashed "medical snob," and with good reason. I've seen a lot of BS on both sides and have also worked for insurance companies authorizing care. Subpar care infuriates me. Occupational hazzard I guess.

In a way, i feel like I've been "working" in the medical field since age 6 when my mother would take me around to do blood draws when there was no babysitter available....

Ahhh..... life before HIPPA

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 AM

9,309 posts, read 6,836,282 times
Quote:
I know what I'm talking about.
Experience / details please.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:55 AM

6,318 posts, read 15,788,144 times
I couldn't care less about gender, not even for a gynecologist. I don't even care how "warm and fuzzy" a doctor is; I'm seeing them for their professional expertise and advice, not their sparkling personality!

I also don't expect medicine to be an exact science, as that would be unrealistic.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Experience / details please.
It's usually accepted that it's normal for a woman to ask for a female doctor. Everyone understand that she would like to keep her modesty.

Try to do the same thing as a man, everyone will laugh at you, especially women.

I'm talking about ER situations. For an appointment you can pick the doctor's gender beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness