U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM

681 posts, read 1,063,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
But he had on UNDERWEAR and a gown!
The reasons why one is not comfortable with a certain doctor are irrelevant. You just aren't and it's no one's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,643,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I would got a different hospital then.
So you would refuse or defer care simply based on your gender preferences.

For as much as you are getting worked up about this, women for a very long time simply have had no choice but to be seen by male physicians.

For example I had surgery about 10 years ago...I don't think there were any surgeons locally that were female. It would have seemed ludicrous to search for one while my need for surgery was something that couldn't be postponed for days.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,892,698 times
Quote:
I would got a different hospital then.
Except the poster in question was in a car accident recently, refused to go to the hospital when the ambulance arrived, suffered headaches and dizziness and other symptoms, finally went to a doctor and found out he has a brain injury, rejected treatment, refused to stay when it was recommended that he stay to be monitored at least overnight, has a father who works in that hospital and complains he treats his son like a five-year-old, and went -back- to the hospital afterall. And rejected the doctor because she's female.

In short - this person isn't looking for advice, or even to offer an opinion. He's looking for people to say he's right.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
So you would refuse or defer care simply based on your gender preferences.
Yes, it's a preference like any other.

Quote:
For as much as you are getting worked up about this, women for a very long time simply have had no choice but to be seen by male physicians.
That is no one's fault. Not mine and not yours. It was simply what it was.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Except the poster in question was in a car accident recently, refused to go to the hospital when the ambulance arrived, suffered headaches and dizziness and other symptoms, finally went to a doctor and found out he has a brain injury, rejected treatment, refused to stay when it was recommended that he stay to be monitored at least overnight, has a father who works in that hospital and complains he treats his son like a five-year-old, and went -back- to the hospital afterall. And rejected the doctor because she's female.

In short - this person isn't looking for advice, or even to offer an opinion. He's looking for people to say he's right.
About rejecting the doctor, well, it was his right. Nothing to be done about it. I don't have to fly on an airline that I dislike.

He's actually very sensible for not wanting to waste resources right away. By going home he was not only more comfortable (which speeds up the recovery), he was also freeing up a bed to someone else. He's more responsible than most patients.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's a preference like any other.

That is no one's fault. Not mine and not yours. It was simply what it was.
So you'd potentially endanger your health over your refusal to see a female physician?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
About rejecting the doctor, well, it was his right. Nothing to be done about it. I don't have to fly on an airline that I dislike.

He's actually very sensible for not wanting to waste resources right away. By going home he was not only more comfortable (which speeds up the recovery), he was also freeing up a bed to someone else. He's more responsible than most patients.
Actually he didn't seem very responsible at all.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
So you'd potentially endanger your health over your refusal to see a female physician?
Yes, no female doctor is ever touching me while I'm conscious. If it happens while unconscious, it surely will change as soon I would wake up.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Actually he didn't seem very responsible at all.
If more people acted like him, health costs go down like a Facebook stock. No wonder people complain they wait so much in the ER. You don't go to the ER when you cut a finger.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:29 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,892,698 times
Quote:
If more people acted like him, health costs go down like a Facebook stock. No wonder people complain they wait so much in the ER. You don't go to the ER when you cut a finger.
Perhaps you're not really understanding what a brain injury means. A brain injury isn't a cut finger. It's the kind of thing that - left untreated - can cause you to die a very painful death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness