Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter to me. I've had good and bad from both genders. My wife, however, will only see male physicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I am female and for a long time I preferred having female doctors. That was when I lived in southern California, where there are many choices in doctors. Then at 28 I moved to Idaho to a small town and there are very few female doctors. Now, 4 children later and having a man deliver all my sons, well it doesn't matter to me so much. My doctors are male now.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 05-06-2013 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
I prefer male dr's. I have had a few female ones & found them to be extremely judgemental. When we brought our 1st daughter home, my dr ( at that time), told me " I was foolish for staying home". So that was the last time I went to her.
I am more comfortable w/ a male & don't feel any judgement...
My children see a female peds. & she is wonderful though!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM

219 posts, read 331,423 times
From what I have seen, most parents prefer male pediatricians for their sons and female pediatricians for their daughters, especially for gender-specific problems.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I am far more concerned with the physician's training and specialization then their gender.

Next comes insurance panel. I currently have 3 female and 3 male physicians; I see a dentist, ophtalmologist, pulmnologist, allery doc, internist (PCP), and dermatologist.
Amen! It's amazing to me that people give any consideration to gender in this day and age

Just give me the most qualified doctor, that's all that's important.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
If I were a man, I'd have problems going to a female physician if she were attractive, especially if she's giving you the cough test.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I actually do have a preference.

When I see a Neurologist, I want to see a male.

When I see Rheumatologist, I want to see a female.

When I see an Internist, I will see either, but am currently seeing a female and she is very kind, caring and considerate.

When I see an OB/GYN, it also does not matter....

Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Amen! It's amazing to me that people give any consideration to gender in this day and age

Just give me the most qualified doctor, that's all that's important.
Nope, it's okay to have a preference as long as you are a woman. If a woman wants a female doctor, it's perfectly understandable. If a man wants a male doctor, oh sexist bastard!

I have no trouble telling a female doctor to get her hands off me.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Nope, it's okay to have a preference as long as you are a woman. If a woman wants a female doctor, it's perfectly understandable. If a man wants a male doctor, oh sexist bastard!

I have no trouble telling a female doctor to get her hands off me.

Don't be ridiculous. Where DO you get this stuff?

I am a woman and I don't care what gender, color or nationality my doctor is as long as he/she is good at what they do, preferably the best.

But everyone is entitled to see the kind of medical provider they feel most comfortable with and I have NEVER heard ANYONE accuse a man of being a "sexist bastard" just because he may prefer to see a male doctor

Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Where DO you get this stuff?

I am a woman and I don't care what gender, color or nationality my doctor is as long as he/she is good at what they do, preferably the best.

But everyone is entitled to see the kind of medical provider they feel most comfortable with and I have NEVER heard ANYONE accuse a man of being a "sexist bastard" just because he may prefer to see a male doctor
I haven't either. I actually have reasons for the way I feel about the types (sexes) of drs I want, and most of it goes from experience throughout the years.

I think men do better in Neurology per my experience, so I continue to see a male Neurologist.

So on and so fourth.

I also want to have a doctor who speaks very good English. I do not care if a dr I see is from another country but when dealing with my health, I have got to be able to understand what he or she is saying and that is a must. I do not want to go home guessing and wondering if I heard him right about something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness