Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM

677 posts, read 1,192,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Where DO you get this stuff?

I am a woman and I don't care what gender, color or nationality my doctor is as long as he/she is good at what they do, preferably the best.

But everyone is entitled to see the kind of medical provider they feel most comfortable with and I have NEVER heard ANYONE accuse a man of being a "sexist bastard" just because he may prefer to see a male doctor
You should watch a man requesting a male doctor in a hospital and see their faces. They will say there isn't one available even if there is. If it was a female, they would get her like 5 doctors so she could choose because "it's important to preserve her modesty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,287,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
You should watch a man requesting a male doctor in a hospital and see their faces. They will say there isn't one available even if there is. If it was a female, they would get her like 5 doctors so she could choose because "it's important to preserve her modesty".
Are you talking about in the hospital like going to the emergency room? A male may not always be available, even if you see one there.

As far as in physicians offices, I have worked in physicians offices for about 12 years and I have never seen anyone have a problem with a man requesting a man.

No one gets a female 5 doctors so she can choose. That is ludicrous. It sounds as though you have an issue with women to me.....

Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,483,784 times
Quote:
Oh please, I have been in the medical community in various settings over many years and have NEVER seen or heard of a man being treated that way. In fact, with the tight constraints HIPPA has on all medical personnel this would never be condoned.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 PM

22,667 posts, read 6,409,383 times
Although I have seen the male doctor on occasion, I usually the the physician's assistant, who is female.
It is easier to get an appointment with her....

Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,287,812 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

In working in physicians offices for many years, doctors really do keep busy with patients. Then if they are interns who see patients at the hospital, they also go to the hospital to see patients 3x a day as well.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-10-2013 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Are you talking about in the hospital like going to the emergency room? A male may not always be available, even if you see one there.
If it was a woman, you bet they would do everything possible to get her a female doctor even if it meant leaving other patients unattended.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,123,855 times
Another "I don't care" vote.

Gender is so far down on the list of my doctor preference that it doesn't register. Communicative, takes time to talk about what concerns me, capable and competent: important.

Although about ten years ago I had a young, extremely good looking male doctor for my pap smear and lady physical. I was a bit self conscious because he was a hottie and me old enough to be his mother (ack) but very quickly got over it!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,140,478 times
I used to think that it wouldn't matter....but then I started going to a female internist (yes, I am female)

I don't know why, but having a female give me a breast exam was horrible. The vaginal exam was worse. Honestly, her touch was too gentle or something. I felt that it more like a caress than a "feel"

Maybe I picked up some signals from her that bothered me?????

Also, she was too involved with mammograms and breast cancer. My families have a long history of dementia, lupus and bad hearts. She wasn't interested in that. Just Breast Cancer. I tried to explain that there was NO history of cancer in either side of my family and If I got breast Cancer, I would stand up and cheer. It would mean less time in a nursing home with dementia. Didn't do a bit of good....she could not understand why I thought that way.

I have not known any male doctors that show as much general stupidity as she did. I am sure that there are dumb male doctors, and I have been lucky!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Another "I don't care" vote.

Gender is so far down on the list of my doctor preference that it doesn't register. Communicative, takes time to talk about what concerns me, capable and competent: important.

Although about ten years ago I had a young, extremely good looking male doctor for my pap smear and lady physical. I was a bit self conscious because he was a hottie and me old enough to be his mother (ack) but very quickly got over it!
If you want to see how professional he/she is, ask for a doctor of the opposite gender and then see how they react.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,416,276 times
Quote:
You should watch a man requesting a male doctor in a hospital and see their faces. They will say there isn't one available even if there is.
Do not know what hospital(s) you have been in but I can certainly tell you that the above does not match a single experience I - or anyone I know or have talked to - has ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness