Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM

168 posts, read 314,381 times

Advertisements

This is rather curious. While I was in hospital yesterday, there was a shift change and my case was transfered to the female doctor that was just getting in.

She wanted to test my leg movements but I was just wearing the gown with underwear underneath. I declined politely and said I wanted a male doctor.

You should have seen her eyes! She was incredibly mad for being challenged. She said she was the only doctor available. I told her she was lying. And even if she was, I would wait for a man doctor.

So much for her stupid ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
So much for your need for medical attention. You went to a hospital - not to your own hand-picked private physician. When you go to a hospital, you take what you're assigned. That was the only doctor available for you. She was the assigned physician. You don't usually get to pick when you go to the hospital. You were wasting her time. It has nothing to do with her ego. It has everything to do with you behaving like the 5-year-old you claim doctors treat you as. The doctor is there to see to your health. The doctor doesn't care about what's under your hospital gown (or what isn't under it). When you start behaving like an adult, they'll start treating you like one.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 AM

168 posts, read 314,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So much for your need for medical attention. You went to a hospital - not to your own hand-picked private physician. When you go to a hospital, you take what you're assigned. That was the only doctor available for you. She was the assigned physician. You don't usually get to pick when you go to the hospital. You were wasting her time. It has nothing to do with her ego. It has everything to do with you behaving like the 5-year-old you claim doctors treat you as. The doctor is there to see to your health. The doctor doesn't care about what's under your hospital gown (or what isn't under it). When you start behaving like an adult, they'll start treating you like one.
Well, I have the right to be seen by someone I'm comfortable with. I said it politely and didn't demand anything right away. I don't care what the doctor cares about. If she kept refusing, well, there are other places with other doctors. No problem.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:44 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Well, I have the right to be seen by someone I'm comfortable with. I said it politely and didn't demand anything right away. I don't care what the doctor cares about. If she kept refusing, well, there are other places with other doctors. No problem.
Exactly, I know this sounds strange to many people but men also have the right to have their privacy respected.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
But he had on UNDERWEAR and a gown!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Exactly, I know this sounds strange to many people but men also have the right to have their privacy respected.
Of course they do. If there is no male physician available, then you are basically refusing part of your medical care.

However, especially in the past, with physicians, females have only had the option of seeing a male physician. Some specialties like orthopedics continue to be dominated by males.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
If I have a cold I don't care if its a male. But if it involves touching private places, I want a female doctor. Unless its an emergency and I'm in the ER, they'll skip it in that case. I think preferences should be respected. I would FULLY respect a man wanting a male nurse as well.

When we go under the care of a doctor we do not abrigate our personal rights.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
You should watch a man requesting a male doctor in a hospital and see their faces. They will say there isn't one available even if there is. If it was a female, they would get her like 5 doctors so she could choose because "it's important to preserve her modesty".
How would they though if there simply is no female doctor in that particular specialty.

Reading your posts, I'm not sure if you understand how the system works though.

If you go to the ER at any given time, especially in a smaller hospital, you have to deal with what is available. Could be all male or all female docs on any given night.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM

In general I prefer female doctors, but not a dealbreaker in any way.

I had two ob docs and a fertility doc that were all male, there simply weren't many females to choose from. I know the ratios are changing in those fields.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
If you go to the ER at any given time, especially in a smaller hospital, you have to deal with what is available. Could be all male or all female docs on any given night.
I would go to a different hospital then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness