U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
4,961 posts, read 10,763,981 times
Reputation: 3346

Advertisements

I am addicted to anti-perspirant. I apply it in the morning, a few times during the day, and at night before bed. Is this safe to do? I've read articles which stated that anti-perspirant can cause cancer due to the aluminum content. I've tried switching to deodorant, but it just doesn't feel the same. I can't stand the thought of sweaty armpits. Any thoughts? Thanks! (BTW, I shower daily, so it's not like I do this to cover up B.O.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2010, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
Reputation: 1821
Sweating is GOOD.
Sweating is necessary.
I see on your profile that you are a female.
It seems that there is no conclusive evidence linking antiperspirant to breast cancer but that it is a possible risk in this regard is another important reason to re-evaluate your dependency on something that is not necessary.
There are effective deodorants that are safe ... perhaps you can go to your local health food store and check them out.
But antiperspirant ... not for me and anything that interferes with the very important body function called sweating is, imo, problematic.
Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
 
Location: South FL
9,444 posts, read 15,754,002 times
Reputation: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Sweating is GOOD.
Sweating is necessary.
I see on your profile that you are a female.
It seems that there is no conclusive evidence linking antiperspirant to breast cancer but that it is a possible risk in this regard is another important reason to re-evaluate your dependency on something that is not necessary.
There are effective deodorants that are safe ... perhaps you can go to your local health food store and check them out.
But antiperspirant ... not for me and anything that interferes with the very important body function called sweating is, imo, problematic.
Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute
As usual, I agree with coyote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,443 posts, read 22,706,171 times
Reputation: 23575
There are so many other places to sweat, I have to say I disagree with coyote about sweating. I wouldn't recommend putting it on as often as you do. BUT if you put it on before bed and in the morning, this will prevent you from sweating as much.

If you sweat a lot (which I do) there are prescription topical solutions you can use that will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
4,961 posts, read 10,763,981 times
Reputation: 3346
Thanks for the replies! I don't sweat profusely, but just hate the feeling of any kind of dampness in my armpits. Thanks for link, coyotesky! I'll try to switch to a safer deodorant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There are so many other places to sweat, I have to say I disagree with coyote about sweating. I wouldn't recommend putting it on as often as you do. BUT if you put it on before bed and in the morning, this will prevent you from sweating as much.

If you sweat a lot (which I do) there are prescription topical solutions you can use that will help.
It interferes with glandular function ... (apocrine sweat gland i think).
It's insane that people have such aversion to and interfere so much with the nature of the body.
And why in the world would anyone put antiperspirant on before bed?!
And if you sweat a lot it's cause the body has a need to sweat a lot.
Sweating is good.
Deodorant can prevent odor ... but use aluminum free deodorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Thanks for the replies! I don't sweat profusely, but just hate the feeling of any kind of dampness in my armpits. Thanks for link, coyotesky! I'll try to switch to a safer deodorant...
You'll get used to it.
I think it's worth it ... obstructing those glands is not, imo, a good idea.
And wearing a tight little cotton t under your everyday clothes can help to absorb sweat and mitigate that wet feeling that you don't like.
And find a deodorant that is aluminum free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 12,245,109 times
Reputation: 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Thanks for the replies! I don't sweat profusely, but just hate the feeling of any kind of dampness in my armpits. Thanks for link, coyotesky! I'll try to switch to a safer deodorant...

Whatever you do, DON'T use the "clinical strength" deodorants!! I hate that armpit dampness also so I tried a "clinical" deodorant last year. It actually burned my armpits! I used it exactly as directed and I'm assuming that because of the strength it caused some kind of chemical burn. Definitely not fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Dallas TX
15,443 posts, read 22,706,171 times
Reputation: 23575
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
It interferes with glandular function ... (apocrine sweat gland i think).
It's insane that people have such aversion to and interfere so much with the nature of the body.
And why in the world would anyone put antiperspirant on before bed?!
And if you sweat a lot it's cause the body has a need to sweat a lot.
Sweating is good.
Deodorant can prevent odor ... but use aluminum free deodorant.
With all due respect coyote, there are people, like me that SWEAT. I am not talking about normal sweating. TMI, but I sweat just sitting doing nothing so the sweat will literally be so much that I will be covered under my arms down to my waste and up to my shoulders.

Using topical solutions and prescription deodorants stop this. You put deodorant on before bed, because it prevents you from sweating as much during the day. I still sweat a bit, but nothing embarassing. I don't mind sweating like crazy if I am exercising or gardening. But there are times, that it just isn't necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
2,637 posts, read 11,286,872 times
Reputation: 3562
I live in Florida, I know sweat! It is not becoming for anyone, especially a professional woman, to have big wet pit stains, blech. I use anti-perspirant and trust me, my body has plenty of other, less obvious places to sweat it out. Now, using it multiple times in one day seems excessive. Maybe you should try a different brand that has more staying power. Have you ever tried Mitchum? It doesn't smell so great but it is very effective and you wouldn't need to put it on so often. You might also want to talk to a doctor because it sounds like you might sweat excessively and there are treatments for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top