U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM

11 posts, read 21,494 times

Advertisements

I live a typical busy life. I wake up everyday at 4:30 AM, arrive at work for 6:00 AM. Work till 4:30 PM., then I work at my consulting job from 5:00 to 6:60 PM. When I get home sometime around 7:30 I get on the treadmill and run for 45 minutes, then I lift weights for a bit. I watch TV usually for an hour and get to bed about 11:30-45 PM. I drink coffee but it doesn't make me feel very good. I tried green tea but it doesn't give me enough energy. I eat 3 meals a day balanced protein / carbs and small snacks in-between (usually simple carbohydrates). I tend to have Sunday off so I am usually extremely lazy then. During the day I often find myself becoming fatigued to the point where I feel too dizzy to work.

What can I do to help besides the obvious (getting more sleep)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 AM

13,456 posts, read 25,368,079 times
Work less.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,689,002 times
Go to the doctor and have some blood tests and have your heart rate checked. A general check up AND discussion with your doctor about what you're experiencing is your best bet, imho.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 AM

11 posts, read 21,494 times
The would be the most logical choice however I can't do that because my employer isn't flexible on work time. If I can't fit the time sheet they need me to be available they will simply find someone else. For the amount I make $$ and the company name on my resume I can justify making a change till the timing is perfect.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 AM

57,837 posts, read 76,807,119 times
iron deprivation. dehydration. excessive work schedule.
grave danger of pushing anemia if not careful which could drift into chronic fatigue syndrome of which is permanent.
see a doctor asap.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,919,091 times
You are not getting enough sleep. Simple as that. Cut out some of the evening activities and go to bed sooner. Seven hours minimum.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 AM

13,456 posts, read 25,368,079 times
What's more important, career/$$$, or life?

I work a difficult schedule as well (I'm choosing $$$ instead of life right now ):

MON 9:45pm-8am
TUE 9:45pm-8am
WED 9:45pm-8am
THU 9:45pm-6:30am
FRI 5pm-6:30am
SAT "off"
SUN 5pm-6:30am

And I don't feel the way you do, and I don't even work out (typically), and I eat horrible food most of the time.. I never drink coffee. Soda with dinner (my caffeine fix), water the rest of the day, milk before bed. A nap if I can sneak one in during work (LOL).

What works for me is doing whatever I feel like doing when I'm not working. If I get home from work and I feel like sitting on the computer for hours, I do it. If I get home from work and want to sleep all the way until I have to work again, I do it (I did this today and felt great when I woke up). I have to force myself to do errands, but my stress level lessens when I break down and finally do them.

You push yourself hard enough at work, why give yourself a regimented schedule at home (the working out/TV watching) too?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,171,404 times
Go to bed earlier?
4 hours sleep just isnt enough.
Make sure you get some fresh air everyday, walk around the block at lunch hour, or at least get away from the normal work environment.
Drink, drink , drink- I mean water. Amazing how dehydration affects mental concentration etc. Once you feel thirsty you are allready dehydrated.
Try and avoid meals high in simple carbohydrate meals and eat high fibre foods that will help prevent swings in blood sugar.
Snack on things like nuts/seeds/cereal bars (careful some are loaded with sugar) and fruit -fresh or dried.Avoid cakes, biscuits, candy etc
Eat brain foods!
Brain Foods

Try a Multi B vitamin supplement.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM

19,020 posts, read 26,248,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinC View Post
I live a typical busy life. I wake up everyday at 4:30 AM, arrive at work for 6:00 AM. Work till 4:30 PM., then I work at my consulting job from 5:00 to 6:60 PM. When I get home sometime around 7:30 I get on the treadmill and run for 45 minutes, then I lift weights for a bit. I watch TV usually for an hour and get to bed about 11:30-45 PM. I drink coffee but it doesn't make me feel very good. I tried green tea but it doesn't give me enough energy. I eat 3 meals a day balanced protein / carbs and small snacks in-between (usually simple carbohydrates). I tend to have Sunday off so I am usually extremely lazy then. During the day I often find myself becoming fatigued to the point where I feel too dizzy to work.

What can I do to help besides the obvious (getting more sleep)...
Your lack of sleep.

11:30 to 4:30.

You must be joking. 5 hours. Five hours only???? Make it seven or 8 and you'll see the difference.

Also, try picking up some multi-vitamin energy shake from the grocer's. I picked up one and have been feeling hyper the last 2 weeks.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 AM

8,955 posts, read 18,203,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Go to the doctor and have some blood tests and have your heart rate checked. A general check up AND discussion with your doctor about what you're experiencing is your best bet, imho.
Very good and accurate advice. DO IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness