U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 AM

11 posts, read 30,827 times

Advertisements

my daughter ( 33 months old ) is complaining about an abdominal pain since about 3 months. We tried to observe her during play / non- play time. Here are the points:
1- she complain when she wants something %70 and %30 without asking anything.
2- Her complains % 75 followed by passing gas or bowl movement.
3- Her complain started with a jealousy behavior from her 7 month brother.
4- Her complain started after she recovered from Rotavirus 2 months ago.
5- every complain last about 1 or 2 minutes about 3 - 4 times a day.

Another observation of her personality.
1- She like compliments about her dresses and how she looks.
2- She like to draw attention to her by any means.
3- She always ask me to carry her on my shoulders ( living on a 3rd floor APT) and she claims that she is tired but when it comes to play she become very energetic.
Her mom says she might be lying about the pain but she wants attention. She is jealous from her brother who gets more attention.

What do you think?
How to differentiate between real pain and false ones ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,137,744 times
Have you discussed it with your pediatrician?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,162,265 times
Talk to your pediatrician for sure. Sounds like she may be constipated. Be careful what you feed her b/c that may be the issue (eg., green bananas). There is a correlation between strange behavior and constipation. Also, keep in mind that she is a toddler and toddlers do some whacky things, whether they are constipated or not. So patience and calmness is important.

Also, do everything you can to encourage your daughter to get along with her brother by involving her in his care (within safe parameters). For example, when changing his diaper, have her help you get a new diaper or the baby wipes, etc. Let her know that mistreating her brother, such as saying mean things to him or hitting him are completely unacceptable. Remind her how fortunate she is to have a sibling to play with. She will be his strongest advocate and influence in his life (beside you parents) so make sure they get along early in life. If the rivalry's too strong, this may carry over into school as kids will see that he is not respected by his own sister (I'm not saying that's the case for you).

Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 AM

18,764 posts, read 56,506,947 times
There is a reason that the medicines for children used to taste really yucky. It gave mothers a good chance to evaluate whether recurring pain was real or a cry for attention. Obviously it wasn't 100% foolproof.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
Why is her brother getting more attention? That's a sure set-up for jealousy and a girl with low self-esteem. No matter the ages, there are ways to give children equal amounts of attention. Unless you actually prefer having a son?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 PM

133 posts, read 570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Why is her brother getting more attention? That's a sure set-up for jealousy and a girl with low self-esteem. No matter the ages, there are ways to give children equal amounts of attention. Unless you actually prefer having a son?
A 7 month old in public versus an almost 3 year old will get more oohs and aahs regardless of gender. It's just the way people are.

It could be she is faking because she remembers the attention she received when she was sick and is up against a cute baby. Or, it could be that her tummy really does hurt. I agree that you should speak to the pediatrician and ask them how to handle it - either way the pediatrician will have the experience to deal with attention getting tummy aches and the real variety.

I hope everything turns out alright.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,693,301 times
Huh??? Instead of spending so much time "observing and noting" you daughters behaviors, why don't you take her to a doctor?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 PM

12,630 posts, read 18,552,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
A 7 month requires more attention than a 3 year old. It has nothing to do with preferring a son more than the daughter!!
AS a 3 yr old can do some things for themselves and a 7 month can pretty much do nothing, the time deference is not as such equal time for both unless the 7 month is neglected to appease the 3 yr old

Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM

12,630 posts, read 18,552,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-77 View Post
my daughter ( 33 months old ) is complaining about an abdominal pain since about 3 months. We tried to observe her during play / non- play time. Here are the points:
1- she complain when she wants something %70 and %30 without asking anything.
2- Her complains % 75 followed by passing gas or bowl movement.
3- Her complain started with a jealousy behavior from her 7 month brother.
4- Her complain started after she recovered from Rotavirus 2 months ago.
5- every complain last about 1 or 2 minutes about 3 - 4 times a day.

Another observation of her personality.
1- She like compliments about her dresses and how she looks.
2- She like to draw attention to her by any means.
3- She always ask me to carry her on my shoulders ( living on a 3rd floor APT) and she claims that she is tired but when it comes to play she become very energetic.
Her mom says she might be lying about the pain but she wants attention. She is jealous from her brother who gets more attention.

What do you think?
How to differentiate between real pain and false ones ?

How do her stools look? She may need to intake more water. One of mine went through this, he was dehydrated.
It also could be a allergic reaction to certain foods? Pay attention to foods she is eating and if this pain follows.
And if you have not talked to your Dr. I might make a call in to the Nurse in the office and see what she/he thinks about it.
Good Luck....

Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 AM

11 posts, read 30,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Huh??? Instead of spending so much time "observing and noting" you daughters behaviors, why don't you take her to a doctor?
yes you true, but I was very worried about her and every time I discuss this with my wife she convince me that it is not that serious. It happened to her Nephews and it turned out a false claim.

However, I toke her to the doctor and we are waiting for the urine and stool test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness