U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,438,826 times

Advertisements

Your friend is full of it....both myself and my 15 year old daughter have had this done...we take no meds.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,695,733 times
Out of the blue several years ago I had a gallbladder attack, although I was not absolutely sure what it was at the time. They did 2 scans and saw no gallstones but still thought it was my gallbladder. They did surgery with the idea it was my gallbladder, but told me if it wasn't they would open me wide open to figure it out. It was my gallbladder and it was removed. I took Nexium before the surgery and take it still, just one in the morning, no heartburn at all anymore. I was in the hospital a couple of days. I am glad I had the surgery.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:00 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,273,608 times
Very few people experience problems post-cholecystectomy, but I'm one of those few. I had mine removed laparoscopically 16 years ago and suffered severe GI symptoms until a few months ago. Even minute amounts of fat would bring on symptoms...but I also carry an IBS diagnosis, so that may or may not be a contributing factor. In any case, my PCP finally prescribed (at my urging) Questran (cholestyramine), which I take once a day. It binds to, and makes digestible, dietary fats that the gallbladder would have done were it still there.

Easily 99% of my symptoms have vanished.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,874,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Very few people experience problems post-cholecystectomy, but I'm one of those few. I had mine removed laparoscopically 16 years ago and suffered severe GI symptoms until a few months ago. Even minute amounts of fat would bring on symptoms...but I also carry an IBS diagnosis, so that may or may not be a contributing factor. In any case, my PCP finally prescribed (at my urging) Questran (cholestyramine), which I take once a day. It binds to, and makes digestible, dietary fats that the gallbladder would have done were it still there.

Easily 99% of my symptoms have vanished.
There are a few outliers that have more severe reactions but most times this surgery is safe and you can get rid of those stones.
Most people take meds for maintenance post surgery. The Bile needed to break down fat in the stomach will be gone; so meds act in the biles place.
Good luck

Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM

18,764 posts, read 56,514,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
There are a few outliers that have more severe reactions but most times this surgery is safe and you can get rid of those stones.
Most people take meds for maintenance post surgery. The Bile needed to break down fat in the stomach will be gone; so meds act in the biles place.
Good luck
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Sometimes I am astounded by how poorly people understand the human body.

The gall bladder is a BLADDER. It stores bile that is created in the LIVER and in a healthy bladder releases the stored bile in the middle of the night to do its job. It in NO WAY creates bile.

The bile is NOT gone after gall bladder surgery, it is still created by the liver. The liver just secretes it along its normal schedule. If the gall bladder is gone the bile goes immediately into the intestine (not stomach). You would have to remove the liver to eliminate bile production.

If you don't believe me, just eat some beets to find out for yourself.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,273,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Sometimes I am astounded by how poorly people understand the human body.

The gall bladder is a BLADDER. It stores bile that is created in the LIVER and in a healthy bladder releases the stored bile in the middle of the night to do its job. It in NO WAY creates bile.

The bile is NOT gone after gall bladder surgery, it is still created by the liver. The liver just secretes it along its normal schedule. If the gall bladder is gone the bile goes immediately into the intestine (not stomach). You would have to remove the liver to eliminate bile production.

If you don't believe me, just eat some beets to find out for yourself.
Not always:

Quote:
Following a cholecystectomy, the liver must make more bile salts, and more are released between meals because there is no place to store them. The increased amount of bile salts can sometimes overwhelm the intestines' capacity to absorb them. In turn, the unabsorbed bile salts can prompt the colon to secrete fluids, leading to diarrhea.
Diarrhea after Gallbladder Surgery - iVillage Your Total Health

Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,289,003 times
I haven't had the operation. But my wife and two of my kids have.
No weight gain. No after affects. No maintenance meds. No problems whatsoever.
Just back to normal life.
I think your friend is full of it.
I've never known anyone who had any life changing after effects from gall bladder surgery.
Except for feeling good again.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,614 times
You will be fine. I had gallbladder surgery a year ago, I am still losing weight, haven't gained an ounce. I am also a diabetic. My 15 year old daughter had her gallbladder removed yesterday. So far things look good. Just eat low-fat food from now on. If you have any more questions, I will help where I can.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,864,718 times
I had mine removed the "old fashioned way" years ago when I was 7 months pregnant. They removed over 100 stones I felt great after it was done then a c-section 5 weeks later. OMG
It sounds as though you do not have much of a choice...I don't remember gaining weight like that...don't listen to everyone who tells you of their experiences.

BTW I had a 4 lb boy 8 weeks early and after a long two years he grew up to be very healthy, hearty and happy man.......

Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,474,860 times
I had it done last year and it wasn't so bad except I couldn't laugh or cough w/o pain for a few days. they give ya lots of pain meds though to get ya through it lol'
You'll probably need about 5 days to really feel better though, as far as soreness goes. I guess you could do your job in 3 days if you have to though, if it's sitting down. Is your boss that heartless they cannot give you more time off after surgery?
I still take Zantac sometimes b/c I get heartburn once in a while. They told me to take it everyday but I don't b/c I don't get heartburn that often, so I just take it as needed.
Good luck hope it goes well for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness