U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,201,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Here we go! We smokers told you it wouldn't stop with cigarettes!

What comes next after sodas?
Were ya bin? The anti's are already looking for fresh ground to plow and rights & liberties to steal.

But us tobacco users warned'em didn't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 PM

6,295 posts, read 19,502,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Were ya bin? The anti's are already looking for fresh ground to plow and rights & liberties to steal.

We sure did, Tightwad!

I drink too much soda but I am trying to cut back and when many of us do I suppose Coca-Cola and Pepsi will need a bailout! ha

Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,152,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Yep, we tried, but they wouldn't see it. Sadly for our liberties, a lot still don't.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,081,315 times
You guys know that all this american lifestyle has to be reined in if you want people to stop losing homes over medical bills right? You do know there are other things you can drink...right? At least with the smoking complaint they kinda have a leg to stand on because you can't really just replace it with something just like it.

I do think the poor health is a 50/50 thing. (soda/food people eat with soda)

What would you all propose they should tax? Stuff we actually need?

I think the tax is a good plan. Its soda. Not lifeblood.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,152,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You guys know that all this american lifestyle has to be reined in if you want people to stop losing homes over medical bills right? You do know there are other things you can drink...right? At least with the smoking complaint they kinda have a leg to stand on because you can't really just replace it with something just like it.

I do think the poor health is a 50/50 thing. (soda/food people eat with soda)

What would you all propose they should tax? Stuff we actually need?

I think the tax is a good plan. Its soda. Not lifeblood.

You're missing the point. It isn't about taxation or even health. It's about liberty and freedom of choice, freedom from governmentally mandated choices for your "own good." To me, that's the issue and it's a critical one for the future of my kids and grandkids. I don't want them growing up in a country where they have to ask some bureaucrat's permission to fart, do you?

As for people losing their homes? I hate to be the one to tell you this, but people have been losing their homes for their inability to pay since mortgages were invented. ANY of us who take out a mortgage run the risk of something happening which would cause us to lose our homes. It's just the cost of buying a house.

You may try and make the case that their "poor" lifestyle choices contribute to that, but such an argument completely ignores the fact if we live long enough, ALL of us, whether we live "healthily" or not, will someday come to the point that our healthcare costs become burdensome and a threat to our financial security. Death is a fact of life. The high cost of dying, from any cause, is a fact of life too unless you're very, very well insured.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM

4,152 posts, read 10,040,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're missing the point. It isn't about taxation or even health. It's about liberty and freedom of choice, freedom from governmentally mandated choices for your "own good." To me, that's the issue and it's a critical one for the future of my kids and grandkids. I don't want them growing up in a country where they have to ask some bureaucrat's permission to fart, do you?
So you believe the companies that make that corn based swill are giving you freedom and choice?
These are the companies that RELY on Fed Gov subsidized $$$$ (yep our taxes) for the corn farming to produce this crap and sell it back to you...so you've paid for it twice essentially (thrice if you actually drink it, as your health will suffer as well) and that's freedom and liberty how again??

Last edited by bellalunatic; 03-10-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM

They are just making you pay more for a luxury. You still have a choice. If you want to get down to choices the chemically additive property of soda and the corn syrup in it removes that in a lot of people.
Just because its not a man saying "no" and shaking a finger at you don't fool yourself in thinking that is any different. The chemical properties of the food manipulate you to go out and consume it. Just like smokes. If you don't get one...there is going to be issue.

People need to cut back on stuff like that. I don't think we can have a cost effective health care plan without some major changes. I think the general population lacks the true understanding of what it will do to you. I think taxes will save a lot of kids from that impulse soda buy that is making them all fat.

You should NOT have your home taken away from you because you got cancer. Sorry but that is just messed up. THAT is what you should be complaining about. Not soda tax.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM

628 posts, read 1,825,472 times
tax the chips and beer too--seriously use it to pay off the debt--if people want it bad enough they will pay it LOLz

Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 PM

6,295 posts, read 19,502,673 times
Correct me if I am wrong, please, but soda is included on the food stamp program. Maybe the answer is to put a stop to that. You can't legally buy cigarettes or liquor with food stamps.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Yeh...I think they need to have food stamps cover real food purchases only. Not doritos, ding dongs and coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or