U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 22,848,550 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I can't afford prescription orthotics right now but I need something decent. I have been usig the ones from REI, which were recommended on several forums, and they have helped a bit, but not enough. I have the ones for the highest arches, but they don't seem high enough!
Any other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,446,759 times
I use Walk Fit orthotics. I have flat feet, fallen arches, and occasional plantar fascitis. They come with three inserts to adjust the height of the arch support. I use the highest and they work for me.

They cost about $20, but you can find them on eBay for less.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:27 PM

7,578 posts, read 12,179,794 times
I just got back from my podiatrist, and he basically threw my WalkFit inserts away.

He gave me some shoe-length inserts that are pretty solid, but soft enough to be comfortable. Also, I have an apparatus that goes around my leg, just above my ankle, and then has a band that straps under my foot and velcro's back to the thing around my leg - it helps a lot!

He told me some things we might all try to remember:

Never go barefoot with this condition (he told me never anyway). Get some good solid sandles and use them from the bed in the morning, out of the shower, bathroom run during the night, etc.

If any shoe you wear (especially house shoes) can be folded in half - meaning flimsy - then they don't provide adequate stability.

Do the exercises - freeze a water bottle solid, and roll it up and down the bottom of your affected foot several times a day. Stretch the area by leaning against a wall and extended your leg back while keeping your heel on the floor - don't bounce though. Pull your toes up toward your face for a bit before getting out of bed - it helps stretch it also.

Never use heat on it - ice only (decreases inflamation).

Advil's not as good as his prescription, but it helps.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM

5,013 posts, read 8,032,602 times
Maybe this site?

Superfeet Premium Insoles

Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM

5,306 posts, read 11,488,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Maybe this site?

Superfeet Premium Insoles
I can personally vouch for those being super insoles for a variety of conditions.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM

740 posts, read 1,872,599 times
I have extremely high arches and planter faciatis as well. My Doctor also told me to never go barefoot. A couple of years ago I received 2 cortisone shots in my heel. (I only have it on one foot) The shots are painful, but I remained symptom free for 2 years. I am halfway thru the course of shots again... I was looking for othotics as well just so when I am symptom free, I can stay that way. (because again, the shots are painful) I had been to the GoodFeet store and spent like $400 on insoles that I could not stand to walk in because they were hard plastic and I just couldn't take it. I will check out the Superfeet store... and continue searching. Thanks for the posts..

Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,892,538 times
I order from footsmart.com

the arch support listed as the very highest support of all....the leather ones... have used and these are the only ones high enough for my arch issues.

Just ordered another pair... they are kinda expensive but really worth it...but they are not full length. I did also order a leather full length set so will see about those...

Good luck...I also buy FitFlop shoes...not for arch support so much but they have a very sturdy foodboard and wide toebox for comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Hi all, I can't afford prescription orthotics right now but I need something decent. I have been usig the ones from REI, which were recommended on several forums, and they have helped a bit, but not enough. I have the ones for the highest arches, but they don't seem high enough!
Any other recommendations?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM

9,959 posts, read 17,869,926 times
I buy the Klog brand of shoes, which are recommended esp to people with PF. They help a lot but I'm in the midst of the worst bout I've ever had. I've been under a lot of stress this year and have gained some weight, so my next thing I want to try is to lose at least the weight I've gained and see if it helps.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM

17,488 posts, read 21,872,608 times
I have prescription orthotics but my insurance plan covered them. At that time I had Empire blue cross now I have oxford so I don't know if they would be covered if I had to get them now. Dr. scholls makes inserts too.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 PM

40,388 posts, read 49,962,291 times
I went to a podiatrist and had custom made orthotics. They take molds of your feet and make the orthotics to match perfectly to your arch. Mine are padded over the plastic support. It's been over 30 years ago that I started wearing them. Best investment I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness