Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 10:31 AM

41 posts, read 31,380 times

Advertisements

I want to share this experience because I know that other seniors in particular report having problems with bladder incontinence. Mine started rather suddenly about 4 years ago. I was 67 at the time and just thought that I am getting older. I am a female and talked to my doctor about it. She recommended several things including oral meds, pelvic floor therapy, kegel exercises, etc. Nothing seemed to help! I just resorted to wearing a medium pad during the day and a heavy overnight pad. Recently, I was talking to my pharmacist about my medications and asked him if any of them could possibly be the cause of my general fatigue or bladder incontinence. He looked at my list and said, "Absolutely!" He told me that blood pressure medications are often the cause of these two issues. I was not on any diuretic (water) pills. He told me not to stop taking my medications, but to see my physician. I had previously discussed these issues with my physician, but she did not think they were the cause of my issues. She just said it was to be expected at my age. (She is a 35-40 year old doctor and has not had these experiences herself yet.) Anyway, I discussed it again with her and told her that the pharmacist suggested that the beta blocker (metoprolol) could be the cause. I take three different blood pressure medications (no diuretics). She took me off the beta blocker and put me on a different medication. Within two days my energy perked up and my incontinence totally disappeared!!! Honestly, I was shocked and thrilled! I suggest if you are having any unexplainable problems or side effects, don't be afraid to talk to your pharmacist. They are the experts in medications. Yes, your doctor knows a lot about medications also, but doctors might just make assumptions about you based on your age, gender, personality, etc. It is so nice to be feeling great again and be able to sleep through the night without getting up 3-4 times. Also, no more pads for me!! Can't make any promises for anyone else, but it is worth a try. Patients have a right to question their doctors...and talk to their pharmacist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 12:53 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
That's good news. I am happy you figured it out and feel better. I agree with you about younger doctors.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:41 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I suspect most people want or are willing to forget the idea that the best healthcare is achieved when doctor and patient work in tandem, not as adversaries or some sort of blind trust/don't question thing. If some problem isn't resolving, work together as partners and share new information as it comes up. No one knows it all, so information needs to flow both ways. Glad you achieved this victory OP!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-09-2023 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-09-2023, 03:01 PM

41 posts, read 31,380 times
You are correct. However, this doctor knew about my issues and just kept referring me for different types of treatment. The pharmacist finally figured it out!

Old 06-09-2023, 03:16 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipm View Post
You are correct. However, this doctor knew about my issues and just kept referring me for different types of treatment. The pharmacist finally figured it out!
Well, they do call it the practice of medicine for a reason, right? It often does take trial and error to find the best solution for each individual. As long as everyone involved participates and is willing to hear/try new ideas instead of dismissing them, that's what matters IMHO. A pharmacist could certainly be part of the equation.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:03 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
OP, thank you so much for sharing this! It never occurred to me that I could/should ask the pharmacist if I'm experiencing something that could be meds-related.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 992 times
Parnassia, thanks for posting about your experience. I think it can help others.
I went through something similar. I was having problems with bladder incontinence and, like you, thought it was because I am getting older. My doctor ordered a test for bladder infection and it was positive. He put me on meds to stop the bladder infection and my bladder incontinence has almost disappeared. I had no idea bladder infection can cause bladder incontinence. I hope this also can help others.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:57 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Pharmacists are great!

I was in the ER with symptoms I'd been seeing a doctor for.

Pharmacist in hospital figure out that a medication I was taking was resulting my liver enzymes to be all out of whack.

Switched from Valcylovir to Acyclovir, and have had no trouble since.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:58 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
I want to share this experience because I know that other seniors in particular report having problems with bladder incontinence. Mine started rather suddenly about 4 years ago. I was 67 at the time and just thought that I am getting older. I am a female and talked to my doctor about it. She recommended several things including oral meds, pelvic floor therapy, kegel exercises, etc. Nothing seemed to help! I just resorted to wearing a medium pad during the day and a heavy overnight pad. Recently, I was talking to my pharmacist about my medications and asked him if any of them could possibly be the cause of my general fatigue or bladder incontinence. He looked at my list and said, "Absolutely!" He told me that blood pressure medications are often the cause of these two issues. I was not on any diuretic (water) pills. He told me not to stop taking my medications, but to see my physician. I had previously discussed these issues with my physician, but she did not think they were the cause of my issues. She just said it was to be expected at my age. (She is a 35-40 year old doctor and has not had these experiences herself yet.) Anyway, I discussed it again with her and told her that the pharmacist suggested that the beta blocker (metoprolol) could be the cause. I take three different blood pressure medications (no diuretics). She took me off the beta blocker and put me on a different medication. Within two days my energy perked up and my incontinence totally disappeared!!! Honestly, I was shocked and thrilled! I suggest if you are having any unexplainable problems or side effects, don't be afraid to talk to your pharmacist. They are the experts in medications. Yes, your doctor knows a lot about medications also, but doctors might just make assumptions about you based on your age, gender, personality, etc. It is so nice to be feeling great again and be able to sleep through the night without getting up 3-4 times. Also, no more pads for me!! Can't make any promises for anyone else, but it is worth a try. Patients have a right to question their doctors...and talk to their pharmacist.
I'll try to remember this about beta blockers.

Thanks.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Thank you! I've been taking metoprolol for years but never connected the dots that that medication might be the cause of my bladder incontinence. While I don't have to wear a pad overnight, if I'm going to be out somewhere where I can't get to a bathroom quickly I will wear one. I have a combination of frequent urination and urgency but I can usually make it through the night without a bathroom break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness