Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 12:28 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times

Advertisements

I went to the doctor today for a follow-up visit, but she was sick, so we have to reschedule for later this week. While I was there, however, I picked up the results of my recent blood work, and my cholesterol was 167. Okay, so that's a good score. Yay. But it doesn't make SENSE.

In early November, my cholesterol was tested through a thing at work, and the total cholesterol was 236. My weight is about the same as it was in November -- a couple pounds heavier, in fact -- and my diet has not noticeably improved. Nor have I been exercising more than in the past. Nor am I taking medications, etc. that are geared toward lowering my cholesterol.

So what could cause a 69-point drop in total cholesterol in 4 months?

Could the test result just be wrong? (The breakdown was 167 total; 44 HDL; 102 LDL; and 88 triglycerides.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
What is your intake ratio of unsaturated fats (most vegetable oils... olive, corn, soybean, canola, grapeseed, sunflower, cottonseed, etc.) vs. saturated fats (meat, palm oil, coconut oil) vs. trans fat (partially hydrogenated oils)

Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM

That's what makes this so mysterious to me. Of the "cholesterol-lowering foods," the only ones I've eaten with regularity in the last 6 months are beans, almonds, and olives. I eat green olives by the jar and olive oil is the only oil I cook with, so I get it in that form too. Otherwise, my diet in low in fruits/veg/whole grains.

And I have made NO effort to watch my fat intake in the last 4 months -- I haven't been on a diet, and my "normal" diet is predominantly junky and processed, with a few healthy foods tossed in here and there -- and I know that I've eaten an unhealthy amount of saturated fat. I don't even try to watch trans fats.

I'm 38, and as an adult, my total cholesterol has never been less than 198...and I weigh more now than I ever have. So it's weird to me that just 4 months ago, my cholesterol was almost 70 points higher.

I came back Vitamin-D deficient as well.

The 167 seems too mysterious for me to celebrate. I can't help but think it must be symptomatic of something else. My lifestyle doesn't warrant that kind of decrease, unless there's a negative cause at the root of it.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Cheerios?

Cholesterol Levels Fluctuate With The Seasons

Interesting read about it changes. But yes, the test could be lab error.

What were you eating the year before your first test? Are you eating better stuff than you were years ago?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Did you inhale a cheesecake or foie gras before your previous test? That could have also affected it.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
That's what makes this so mysterious to me. Of the "cholesterol-lowering foods," the only ones I've eaten with regularity in the last 6 months are beans, almonds, and olives. I eat green olives by the jar and olive oil is the only oil I cook with, so I get it in that form too. Otherwise, my diet in low in fruits/veg/whole grains.

And I have made NO effort to watch my fat intake in the last 4 months -- I haven't been on a diet, and my "normal" diet is predominantly junky and processed, with a few healthy foods tossed in here and there -- and I know that I've eaten an unhealthy amount of saturated fat. I don't even try to watch trans fats.

I came back Vitamin-D deficient as well.

Just eating more fiber lowered the s.o.'s BP

also:

Virgin Olive Oil May Reduce Cholesterol Damage

"According to the report, adults who consumed 25 milliliters (mL) or nearly 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil daily for one week showed less oxidation of LDL ("bad") cholesterol and higher levels of antioxidant compounds, particularly phenols, in the blood."

Honey, Almonds Lower Cholesterol

"After comparing cholesterol levels during and after each diet, researchers found that LDL levels were lowered by an average of 4.4% with the smaller portion of almonds and by 9.4% with the larger portion."

You want to work on the vitaminD. That carries cardio risk as well. Those chewy viactivs are good if you can't get a daily dose of 15 minutes in the sun without burning.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM

I couldn't tell you what I was eating last November, but I'm sure it was crap. It was 236 then, and that number has just been steadily going up for the last several years.

When I went last week and had the blood drawn for the test, I had been eating better for about two weeks: more fruits and veg and whole grains, more cooking, more whole foods, more water, daily vitamins, no fast food, less junk food. (I'd been having chest pains for a couple weeks, which was what compelled me to make the doctor's appointment in the first place. I had a treadmill stress-test last week and "passed.") But I find it hard to imagine that eating well for 2 weeks would lower my cholesterol by 70 points. Seven points...okay, sure. Maybe I could believe that. But 70?? No way.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with my brain-chemistry, etc. I have a 25+ year history of profound depression, but I've been "in remission" for about 5 years and off my meds for 6 years. I don't feel depressed at all, and because of my history, that's something I closely monitor. But vitamin-D (in which I'm deficient) is linked to mood issues, and as I've been researching my inexplicable drop in cholesterol, I'm coming around to references about how low cholesterol levels can signal depression or be tied to hormonal issues, which could also tie into depression. I don't feel depressed at all, but maybe there's something chemical going on up there that's indicating otherwise. Or maybe it's just that this depression -- if there is one -- is low-grade and non-acute/non-situational...and therefore different from what I'm accustomed to.

I dunno. Hopefully my doctor will have some good ideas on Wednesday. I predict more blood tests in my future.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
When I took my cholesterol/triglycerides test at work, I was not fasting. It should be a fasting test where you have nothing but water. That could easily make the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness