U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,373,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Holy crap...is that MRSA fact true?!

I read stuff like this and giggle about how viruses are the oldest living creatures. When the tough get tough, they get tougher. One could learn a lot from a virus about ultimate survival.

So true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,662,535 times
I got curious (and wanted a good / understandable explanation) :

"Viruses exist in two distinct states. When not in contact with a host cell, the virus remains entirely dormant. During this time there are no internal biological activities occurring within the virus, and in essence the virus is no more than a static organic particle. In this simple, clearly non-living state viruses are referred to as 'virions'. Virions can remain in this dormant state for extended periods of time, waiting patiently to come into contact with the appropriate host. When the virion comes into contact with the appropriate host, it becomes active and is then referred to as a virus. It now displays properties typified by living organisms, such as reacting to its environment and directing its efforts toward self-replication".

Are Viruses Alive?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,089,612 times
Creature - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
creature:
"1 : something created either animate or inanimate: as a : a lower animal; especially : a farm animal b : a human being c : a being of anomalous or uncertain aspect or nature <creatures of fantasy>"

Hmmm....sounds like that has virus covered.

Alive - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
alive:
1 : having life : not dead or inanimate

again..covered

Funny they are "not alive" by considerations of "most scientists; but the study of them (microbiology) means the study of biology of microscopic organisms. Organisms by definition are alive. Biology broken down means the study of life...yet all these scientists say they are "not alive"

There are various types of parasite relationships and its why I brought up the lamprey but I could see how with your limited resources that you would find that confusing
. The "definition" is: parasite:
"2 : an organism living in, with, or on another organism in parasitism
3 : something that resembles a biological parasite in dependence on something else for existence or support without making a useful or adequate return"

Thanks for that post coyote. Virions are not are not a virus anymore than an egg is a chicken. The "alive" reference was directed towards virals and not the virions.

If you don't believe the whole evo of life from the ooze thats your choice. I know its debatable. But since this is not a debate forum I will let that issue die. If you want to go pop it up on the debate forum go for it.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,003,803 times
This is starting to get personal. Please keep the debates within the TOS guidelines - that means no personal attacks, baiting or flaming. If this continues I'll have no choice but to close the thread.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Doesn't the passage below eloquently reconcile what you two have been wrestling with / arguing about?
I thought so but it's beyond me so i dunno.

"Viruses straddle the definition of life. They lie somewhere between supra molecular complexes and very simple biological entities. Viruses contain some of the structures and exhibit some of the activities that are common to organic life, but they are missing many of the others. In general, viruses are entirely composed of a single strand of genetic information encased within a protein capsule. Viruses lack most of the internal structure and machinery which characterize 'life', including the biosynthetic machinery that is necessary for reproduction. In order for a virus to replicate it must infect a suitable host cell".

Are Viruses Alive?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,322,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Doesn't the passage below eloquently reconcile what you two have been wrestling with / arguing about?
I thought so but it's beyond me so i dunno.
LOL ... heck this is better than Championship Wrestling

Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 AM

2,375 posts, read 5,475,285 times
It probably doesn't help that the public is constantly slathering themselves with anti-bacterial stuff either.

In our quest to keep germs away, we have inadvertently been creating these "superbugs". It's the basic theory of evolution. Living things mutate in order to survive.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
It probably doesn't help that the public is constantly slathering themselves with anti-bacterial stuff either.

In our quest to keep germs away, we have inadvertently been creating these "superbugs". It's the basic theory of evolution. Living things mutate in order to survive.
Absolutely ... that and the overuse of prescribed antibiotics and the intake of them via the livestock (dead stock?) that most folks are eating ... and eating way too much of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness