Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Ok I think my mom just likes to put down my life choices first fear over me
drinking to much water now she telling me
they substitute fat frre with lots of sugar causing people to gain even more weight. It kinda makes sense since the fat free craze began America has
gotten fatter
;

;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Extra calories in any form (fat, sugar etc) cause you to gain weight. FF stuff does have a lot of sugar and chemicals usually but its a easier way to cut calories. Just look at the fat free total cals vs. the normal stuff. Eating all that sugar can increase age on the skin, inflammatory issues and cause food cravings. Just eat the proper amount of the regular stuff. Most people feel better eating proper amount of healthy fat.

Are you getting a lot of cravings? Do you find you are draggy at the end of the day?

Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am starting to think so. Why are so many of us fat, compared to the days when people only ate plain foods like meat, butter, sugar and whole milk, etc?
In our house we are eating as many unprocessed foods now as possible. We eat butter and sugar, in moderation, instead of fat free or artificially sweetened.
I'm thinking that by eating fat free and artificial sweetener we do not really satisfy our hunger or dietary requirements, and so just keep eating more and more, trying to get satisfied.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
they substitute fat frre with lots of sugar causing people to gain even more weight. It kinda makes sense since the fat free craze began America has
gotten fatter
;

;

Your body needs fat and you need to eat food with some fat in it. Fat is very important to the body because it's part of the process in regulating hormones.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Eating all that sugar can increase age on the skin, inflammatory issues and cause food cravings. Just eat the proper amount of the regular stuff. Most people feel better eating proper amount of healthy fat.
Yea, that sugar is so bad for you... Back in the 1800 and earlier, sugar was like the cocaine of today.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am starting to think so. Why are so many of us fat, compared to the days when people only ate plain foods like meat, butter, sugar and whole milk, etc?
In our house we are eating as many unprocessed foods now as possible. We eat butter and sugar, in moderation, instead of fat free or artificially sweetened.
I'm thinking that by eating fat free and artificial sweetener we do not really satisfy our hunger or dietary requirements, and so just keep eating more and more, trying to get satisfied.
In addition to your food intake do you exercise? Vigorously!? That is the other major component. You figure, many things we do today are automated (washing clothes, cutting the grass, driving a car).

Old 03-13-2010, 03:48 PM

27 posts, read 128,804 times
I'm trying to prepare more of my food that are not processed, I still have a ways to go but it is a start. Many "fat-free", "sugar-free", and many things in between are mostl processed. causing weight-gain and even high blood pressure.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
gotten fatter
;

Your suspicions about fat free foods are correct. If they are processed, they don't count as real food.

I recently read: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

His first requirement is to eat food. Problem is, a lot of stuff out there we call food isn't really....it's more like processed food substitute.

I hightly recommend the book. It's a quick read.

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Books

Old 03-13-2010, 06:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
May be because we don't get up before dawn, physically work our tails off, then collapse at dusk...........

Old 03-14-2010, 07:16 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Fat has really been demonized and I hope the tide is turning. Your body and especially your brain REQUIRES some fat in the diet. People use the low fat stuff and it loads them up on processed carbs which is bad for the blood sugar and increases cravings. I personally think it is a lot better to watch your portion sizes and simply eat the regular versions of food including fats, but to try to focus on fats that are good for blood lipids like olive oil instead of bacon fat, fatty salmon instead of fatty steak, etc. I feel satisfied with just a single savored bite of a rich dessert and I think that's better than eating a package of fat-free cookies instead and still craving the rich dessert anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness