U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 AM

18,434 posts, read 30,601,137 times

Advertisements

OK, I have Epilepsy, what they now call Tonic Clonic, which I grep up to know as Grand Mal. I have been seizure free since Dec of 99. Thats a good run.

Lots of stress over the weekend, and overall from work, and everything.

Last night I felt like I was gonna have a seizure while I was taking a shower. Thats where I used to have seizures all the time, Nuero had me taking cold showers, felt the heat of the shower was bringing it on.

I have this little thing called, 'Wishing it away.' I close my eyes and try to think of nothing. I put everything out of my mind and calm myself and this usually always wors. I did have an aura, thats how I could feel it coming on. Some people dont feel this, they just bam... have the seizure.

So, then I went to my bdrm, and it happened again. I did the same thing. In all it happened 3x last night. I never had an actual seizure. I know I did not have one in my sleep. Tell tale sign would have been a bitten tongue.

This morning I am a bit boggy feeling so I called in to work. Boss asks if I called my dr... I say no... it was 630. I told her I didn't feel safe to drive, and that I felt boggy... she says maybe I can rest and come in a half day, I tell her maybe.

What she doesn't understand is the magnitude of the stress on a Monday in that office, in my position could put me over... I am not going in.

Does anyone else, if you have epilepsy, get these Auras and are able to what I call wish the seizure away?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 PM

202 posts, read 779,222 times
Sounds like you should see your neurologist and maybe get an EEG. You could be having abnormal electrical activity going on in your brain which could cause the symptoms you have.
Good luck to you and I hope you feel better.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
Sounds like you should see your neurologist and maybe get an EEG. You could be having abnormal electrical activity going on in your brain which could cause the symptoms you have.
Good luck to you and I hope you feel better.
Thanks.... hasn't been long since I have had one, this normally happens when I am so overloaded with stress, and I am... thats why I am here all the time... for release of it... but I haven't had these auras ina while, I have had times where I feel kinda... well, lets just say in my line of work I have to super multi task, but I can only do 2 things, and it gets unbearable...I just have to stop for a few. Also the migraines dont help.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 AM

250 posts, read 880,423 times
Are you on meds?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:47 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,093,635 times
See your doctor soon, Iused to have seizures(they can be stressed induced) I also remember trying the wisshing it away thing sometimes it worked, however what really worked for me is yoga. Still please see your doctor and dont let thins stress you out good luck and god bless

Old 06-07-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Are you on meds?
Yep, I am on Tegretol XR, Neurontin, Keppra for the MIgraines, but its an anti convulsant and Topomax for the Migraines, also an anti convulsant... meds since I was 11...22 years now.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,000,139 times
My ex has seizures. He was seizure free for a long time, about 25 years, and then they began again. He also has an aura, and it has saved him a number of times. He does industrial and commercial plumbing and heating, and that aura at least gave him time to get off the ladder . Stress is definately a trigger for him, and he tries different techniques to avoid or cope with stress, but sometimes it seems he just can't avoid the seizure. He can usually tell if it's a petit or grand, and he says if it's a grand it's harder to "wish away". Thank God for the aura though. My daughter's 1st grade teacher also had seizures, and he could predict them. His aura was an oniony taste in his mouth. Unfortunately, I'm not sure he could avoid them or try to prevent them. Is it possible to change jobs? It seems drastic, I know, but it sounds as if you may not have the most understanding supervisor! (I read your other thread in "other topics" ) Good luck with everything!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 06-08-2007 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: grammar....again....:(

Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 AM

11 posts, read 54,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
OK, I have Epilepsy, what they now call Tonic Clonic, which I grep up to know as Grand Mal. I have been seizure free since Dec of 99. Thats a good run.

Lots of stress over the weekend, and overall from work, and everything.

Last night I felt like I was gonna have a seizure while I was taking a shower. Thats where I used to have seizures all the time, Nuero had me taking cold showers, felt the heat of the shower was bringing it on.

I have this little thing called, 'Wishing it away.' I close my eyes and try to think of nothing. I put everything out of my mind and calm myself and this usually always wors. I did have an aura, thats how I could feel it coming on. Some people dont feel this, they just bam... have the seizure.

So, then I went to my bdrm, and it happened again. I did the same thing. In all it happened 3x last night. I never had an actual seizure. I know I did not have one in my sleep. Tell tale sign would have been a bitten tongue.

This morning I am a bit boggy feeling so I called in to work. Boss asks if I called my dr... I say no... it was 630. I told her I didn't feel safe to drive, and that I felt boggy... she says maybe I can rest and come in a half day, I tell her maybe.

What she doesn't understand is the magnitude of the stress on a Monday in that office, in my position could put me over... I am not going in.

Does anyone else, if you have epilepsy, get these Auras and are able to what I call wish the seizure away?
Hello!
I'm from Croatia!
I have epilepsy for a 4 years!
My first seizur was in summer and second i February and than evry 4 monts!
Now I don't have seizurs and I on Lamotrigin(Lamictal) 100 mg in morning and evening!
I don't drink alcohol and I sleep 6-8 hours.
That is indispensable dose dream!
I don't have grand mal seizurs!
I only gaze on one spot and no one can't call meand than I blackout!That lasts 1 min. and after that I'm jaded and I must go to sleep and my head hurst!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon444 View Post
Hello!
I'm from Croatia!
I have epilepsy for a 4 years!
My first seizur was in summer and second i February and than evry 4 monts!
Now I don't have seizurs and I on Lamotrigin(Lamictal) 100 mg in morning and evening!
I don't drink alcohol and I sleep 6-8 hours.
That is indispensable dose dream!
I don't have grand mal seizurs!
I only gaze on one spot and no one can't call meand than I blackout!That lasts 1 min. and after that I'm jaded and I must go to sleep and my head hurst!
My son had the 'staring' type of seizures when he was little, from about age 4 to age 8 maybe. I would have never known it had I not had Epilepsy. (and known the different types)

Old 07-12-2007, 07:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,548,863 times
There's been some studies showing a high fat diet helps epileptics do better but i'm unsure how well they respond. Also its a hard diet to stick to but here's a study by Webmd....
Epilepsy: The Ketogenic Diet - WebMD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness