U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What contraceptive methods are you confortable with?
I am a man and not a big fan of condoms 8 30.77%
I am a woman and not a big fan of barrier method e.g condoms, diaphragms and cervical caps. 5 19.23%
I am a man condoms is best way possible unless otherwise 4 15.38%
I am a woman barrier methods are the safest way possible 5 19.23%
I am a man hormonal contraceptive aren't safe for her unless otherwise 1 3.85%
I am a woman hormonal contraceptive methods are not safe, unless otherwise 3 11.54%
I am a man hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
I am a woman hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 AM

8,680 posts, read 13,647,294 times

Advertisements

Unless you're both virgins, you should be using condoms regardless. Although condoms do not guarantee complete protection against STDs, they help a lot. Also, there are a lot of bugs out there that don't have symptoms. [URL="http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm"]HPV[/URL] is one of them. (You both might also consider getting vaccinated--yes, one of the vaccines works in men, too.) So until you're both tested, you have no way of knowing if you are disease-free.

I'm glad you're aware of the side effects of hormonal contraceptives. My girlfriends and I joke that the Pill works by making women so ornery that no one would want to have sex with them in the first place. Of course, not every woman experiences that, but it can affect emotions and moods. Then there's the lower sex drive you mention, and potential weight gain.

But it sounds like your girlfriend is young. Usually younger women have fewer problems with the Pill. The Pill is not without its risks, but in younger women, those risks are rare. If she's thinking about it, she should ask her doctor about getting tested for [URL="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/factor-v-leiden/DS01083"]Factor V Leiden[/URL] (that V is roman numeral 5), which is a genetic thing that raises the risk of clotting. She's young, so it may not matter, but that is something to be aware of. If anyone in her family has a history of miscarriages, it could be in her family, so she should find out.

Also, although there are risks, the Pill also has benefits, and has been shown to lower the risk of ovarian cancer. (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Birth_Control_Pill_Use_Cuts_Ovarian_Cance r_Risk.asp - broken link) If there is any history of that in her family, that's something for her to consider.

There's no harm in going together to get contraceptive counseling. Most gynos will let partners sit in on the office part of a woman's visit. Failing that, you can always go to a free clinic, or to Student Health at her university.

But unless and until you are both tested and shown to be disease-free, condoms are the way to go.

They aren't that bad. Men complain about less sensitivity, but for women, that can be a good thing: Less sensitivity means you gents last longer.

And sex means what you want it to mean. Using a condom isn't going to change that.

Finally, no birth control is perfect. Talk to her about what would happen if it failed and she got pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 AM

8,680 posts, read 13,647,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I have to laugh.. you men just want 'the women' to deal with 'the pill' because you won't use condoms.
Yes, that's annoying, isn't it?

As a woman, even when I was on the Pill, I'd insist on a condom. It's just the smart thing to do.

No glove, no love.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 AM

23,400 posts, read 25,354,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
So how do you apply your contraceptive methods other than hormonal imbalance contraception?
I've used the sponge and I have a diaphragm. It sounds old-school, but it works for me.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM

3,299 posts, read 10,756,902 times
Until I don't have a huge problem with getting pregnant (i.e. I'm at least engaged), I'm for doubling up on contraceptives with both hormonal contraception and condoms. I'm on a low dose, and I'll admit to not being perfect with taking it at exactly the same time every day.

I also do know a few women who did get pregnant while on the pill (forgot it one day, went on antibiotics without realizing that it makes it less effective, etc). Condoms suck, but at this point in my life I'd rather deal with that than 4am feedings.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,596,474 times
If a couple really wanted to avoid pregnancy, they should probably be really careful around Ovulation time, me thinks.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:45 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,514,068 times
He would put on the condoms but there were certain times pulling-out method was used. Luckily I never got pregnant. Having had 2 years of college education, I had a psychology book about the human sexual behavior (it included safe sex and contraception methods) so it's not like I knew nothing about the risks and consequences about unprotected sex but I just didn't care as well there was trust. I think the best word for this would be indifference or plain stupidity. At the same time I trusted him with my life.... still do.

Would I do that again if he was here now? If I knew there was no way of getting pregnant sure. Though I would now prefer birth-control pills.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,190,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
If a couple really wanted to avoid pregnancy, they should probably be really careful around Ovulation time, me thinks.

The trick is knowing when Ovulation is happening. Not always the easiest unless the woman's cycle is spot on. That is why the rhythm method shouldn't even be considered a form of birth control.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM

271 posts, read 690,342 times
I have had the Copper IUD for about 5 months. It is NON-hormonal. It lasts for 10 years. The failure rate is .4 per 100 women. It hurts a bit getting it put in but nothing you can't handle. You have to check the strings every month to make sure it is still in place. The only downside for me personally is my husband can feel the strings. I actually have an appointment to see if they can cut the strings a little shorter. Some women have heavier periods and more cramps but I have experienced the opposite. My favorite part is that there are no hormones!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,596,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
The trick is knowing when Ovulation is happening. Not always the easiest unless the woman's cycle is spot on. That is why the rhythm method shouldn't even be considered a form of birth control.
I'm not saying to make sure it is the only form. I'm just saying I'd double down on birth control about a week after a period ended. I guess. I don't know nothing about this stuff.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 AM

9,444 posts, read 15,741,571 times
Oh man, that's a tough one, because I also don't want to subject myself to birth control pills, but I absolutely hate condoms, just as much as any man does. It makes such a difference in feeling.
I don't have the answer, my husband and I have been together for a while, therefore we don't use any protection besides pulling out, but I don't know if I would recommend that in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness