U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,181,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just an interesting little bit of info..

Here in the U.S., it seems we expect our blood pressure to rise with age... More elders have high blood pressure than not.

I came across a study done with remote indigenous people in Brazil. They had low BMI's, low blood pressure and their blood pressure did not rise with age--at all! It only rose when they ingested higher levels of sodium than was in their usual diets...

Could it be that we're not destined to get high blood pressure if we eat a diet low in sodium?? (which is very hard to do as sodium's added to so many of our prepared and packaged foods).

Of course, how many older folks have low BMI's, exercise a lot and also consume little sodium???

But I found it interesting that blood pressure does not seem to rise with age if we are slender, fit and eat little salt.
I think this has been known for a while. You can certainly control your blood pressure this way, but as you mentioned, so much prepared food has sodium chloride it in that it is a very difficult goal to attain.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 05:49 PM

19,215 posts, read 13,408,661 times
Just keep a good sodium/potassium balance and you'll be OK.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 PM

5,523 posts, read 10,219,950 times
Do you have to supplement with potassium to keep in balance with sodium or can you do it though diet? I try to eat lots of bananas, OJ , baked potatoes and other high potassium foods, but my potassium still tests low...everything else is in mid-range normal...

I don't add salt when cooking and avoid salty food, but still...

Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 PM

19,215 posts, read 13,408,661 times
Quote:
Do you have to supplement with potassium to keep in balance with sodium or can you do it though diet? I try to eat lots of bananas, OJ , baked potatoes and other high potassium foods, but my potassium still tests low...everything else is in mid-range normal...

Physical or mental stress deplete potassium 2:1 over sodium.

Maybe try seasoning some of your food with Lite Salt, which is about 6:5 potassium over sodium.

See if your balance improves.

An average banana only has 88 mg of potassium.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,138,685 times
Quote:

I have been tracking potassium on my diet software and it is HARD to take in the RDA if you are eating to loose weight - for me around 1200-1400 calories. I do use a lite salt product and also blackstrap molasses - but sparingly. Low sodium V8 has a lot but it is artificially added and still has 180mg sodium. My values are in the low end of normal.

The real challenge is finding potassium rich AND low sugar foods.
I have developed quite the taste for winter squash - I would do a google search for potassium rich foods.

Winter Squash, Potassium and Blood Pressure « Kathy Nichols

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,573,639 times
Ironically, my cardiologist has me add salt, in small amounts, to my diet. My problem is the opposite -- I have very low BP, and a slow HR. Always have, and I seem to have inherited this from my Dad. The cardiologist has me adding salt to help keep me from getting dizzy, and passing-out, which never was a problem until I hit menopause, and doctors think hormones played a part in this new problem.

I will drink Gatorade when I am really suffering, and generally have a small salty snack maybe twice a day -- a handful of pretzels, or a pub mix snack. Would you believe I don't even care for salt? I may cook with a little salt, but it never even gets set on our table unless someone asks for it.

My BP, on average, runs 90/60 or 110/70. I have seen it as high as 130/80 -- most unusual for me -- and as low as 80/50. Add-in a normal HR of 60, and I don't have much 'wriggle room.' When I exercise, others in the gym just howl, as my target HR is 85-90.

It is almost impossible to find info on too low BP.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM

5,523 posts, read 10,219,950 times
Great tip on the squash--not an item I've been eating, so now I will. I like it well enough, but it just doesn't find its way into my grocery cart on a regular basis...I head for the yams and sweet potatoes very often, though.

Wow, that's low blood-pressure RDSLOTS...I'll be happy to lend you some of mine--I've extra!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 AM

600 posts, read 1,450,743 times
I have low blood pressure and eat a lot of salt. I love salt. Salt to me is like sweets to most people - I crave salty food. I mentioned it to my physician - he said it's because of my blood pressure. He said people with low blood pressure tend to need more salt. He wasn't worried about it.
He also thinks it's a good idea that I drink a cup of coffee a day.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:34 AM

12,195 posts, read 6,603,011 times
One of my biggest challenges in wanting to lose weight and keep salt intake low due to HBP [hyper tens and taking meds], is that what is low in calories - is sometimes HIGH in sodium levels. I've got that book, "Eat This, Not That", and some of the items I've looked at for recommending that I eat it, lists the sodium at like close to 1340, and I'm thinking. "where'd they drudge the ingredients from - the Dead Sea" ? I rarely to never use the salt shaker. You don't have that option when you go out to eat though.
I realize some days I've probably stretched my maximum intake of either [calories/sodium] or both .

Table Salt - a comprehensive view - Wellsphere
excerpt: Should you use sea salt instead of ordinary table salt? While iodized table salt is a good source of iodine, sea salt often is not.

Lawmakers proposing a fine to restaurants:
<EM>Healthy Living</EM>: Salt intake could render heavy fines - YNN, Your News Now

Questions that pop into my mind; anyways, 1) how much is too much and; 2) what is the level of variation between one person's belief of moderation and another person's?

"live long and prosper"

Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,138,685 times
I have been fairly successful at eating less than 2000mg a day by not eating processed foods - which of course is good for other reasons. Even things like bread, cereal ... are major sources of salt. After I eat out for ANYTHING I can usually expect a several pound "sodium bounce" for the next couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness