Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does teaching about birth control increase sexual promiscuity?
Yes 5 10.87%
Yes but not significantly 2 4.35%
No 36 78.26%
Not Sure 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But the point of argument is what is the right setting for this? Is it in schools where parents are unaware whether the proper values about sex are communicated to their children? Or at home, where parents can guide them personally? I'd say parents should personally teach their children at home about this because the other option entails a formidable risk.
What's wrong with both? Lots of parents avoid talking frankly to their children about sex, speaking in euphemisms or simply avoiding the issue because they can't face up to the fact their child is growing up and becoming a sexual being, but all children need to be educated. Most children are squeamish about asking questions about sex to their parents, but they still need those questions answered. Clinically presented sex education is appropriate for school, but there is nothing stopping you from also discussing sex with your kids.
Quote:
I beg to disagree that it must be accepted that teenagers would naturally engage in premarital sex so we cannot really do anything about it. We are rational beings who can choose the right thing if we are well-informed.
And yet abstinence-only sex education has been an abject failure. Yes, an individual teen can certainly make the decision to not engage in pre-martial sex, but teens in general often become sexually active. I feel it is more constructive to admit this trait of teenagers and educate them in various methods of avoiding pregnancy and diseases than to keep harping on abstinence despite the fact that it doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
Information is power. They are going to find out about it one way or another... I would rather have teens have some kind of info about the subject. Sexual activity is most likely going to happen at this age...why not be informed about it...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
I think teaching abstinence-only sex education is dangerous. I think the whole shebang should be taught in one class. Bird and bees, STDs, abstinence and proper contraceptive use. They should have the whole picture and understand the risks and dangers of what their bodies are starting to tell them is so damn important... come on we were all that age once. It is a biological imperative and a whole new world opening up to them. They need to be armed with all the knowledge that we can give them.

I think it should be a neutral curriculum though... none of this fire and brimstone you will die and go straight to hell crap or the shock and awe approach that some classes on STDs take. Lay out the facts. The numbers and percentages of AIDs and other incurables, the number of teen pregnancies, etc and leave it for the kids to work out. From there it is the parents responsibility to apply any morals or applicable religious spin on it they want.

That is my two cents anyway.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
A father takes his 12 yr old son to the side and says they need to talk about SEX.

The 12 yr old says "sure dad...what do you want to know"?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
I believe as parents too much responsibility is put on the school for this type of thing. It's the parents who should be the ones teaching their kids.

I guess with the way things are some classes are necessary but not with the banana condom lesson (that goes too far IMO).

I think more emphasis on drugs and alcohol is what is needed more then sex education. They should be able to wrap those classes together as a cause and effect class for the first 2 weeks when school begins starting with middle school.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:15 PM

253 posts, read 794,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
THanks for teh responses, I was just wondering if birth control can make people especially teenagers and young adults more likely to engage in sexual activity since they feel protected against STDs and unplanned pregnancies. I personally believe in moral education in public schools, including school prayer and the Ten Commandments in schools, but also think birth control education if handled right can be a positive step toward preventing abortions. HOwever people should just be caught that birth control or not, its simply immoral and wrong to have random hookups.

Lol! Seriously? Not everyone is religious, you know.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I think there NEEDS to be sexual education in schools just because adults are so ignorant to it themselves. I seriously can not believe how many adults are sexually under educated. I also don't think they should promote birth control methods but just present them clinically with the downfalls. I do not like how they always have side effects or shortcoming for things like that in small print. I do think that there needs to be a section on modern sociology in sex ed too. Not to apply and program, but to discuss the various levels of social rules and cultures while instilling the value of equal treatment despite conflicting morals.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Does anyone here remember the very first time they gave a baby it's first taste of Ice Cream. He/She would pucker with a sour look on the face and a minute later WOW!!!! that stuff is pretty good and they would open their mouth up for more.

Same could be said for SEX introduction...1st a taste and then they would be going for a home run. Nature would take it's course.

Hope some people understood the logic.

Steve

Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Tell a 13 year old what a fistula is and that it can happen with childbirth or an abortion. She may change her mind. That is what I am talking about. ALL the risks of pregnancy need to be taught too. I don't think peeing yourself when you laugh is going to win any points either.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikou View Post
Teenagers need to be educated regarding sex. I think everybody agrees with this.

But the point of argument is what is the right setting for this? Is it in schools where parents are unaware whether the proper values about sex are communicated to their children? Or at home, where parents can guide them personally? I'd say parents should personally teach their children at home about this because the other option entails a formidable risk.

I beg to disagree that it must be accepted that teenagers would naturally engage in premarital sex so we cannot really do anything about it. We are rational beings who can choose the right thing if we are well-informed.
1. Parents can't even teach their kids to behave in school, be respectful of the teachers, and work hard to make good grades.
2. Teenagers are not rational human beings. Not saying this to be flip, but it's actual science.

And Pitt has a good point. Many adults are complete morons when it comes to human anatomy/physiology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness