U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 PM

554 posts, read 467,923 times

Advertisements

I am not judging. I don't care what anybody else does to their body I just don't want their poor choices to affect my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:41 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
Well, unfortunately we are all negatively impacted by the poor choices of others and choices that have far more harmful effects than some people smoking outside of an office building.
Having to walk past a group of people smoking outside is no big deal ... unless you want to make it one.
If you're in reasonably good shape you'll have no problem walking quickly and holding your breath as you walk by them if that's what you feel you have to do.
If you can't walk fast enough and hold your breath for that long i'd suggest you get in better shape.
What more do you want?

Last edited by coyoteskye; 03-18-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM

5,346 posts, read 11,512,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Good morning,
I work for a company that allows it's employees to smoke in the front of the building. Often I have to walk thru a cloud of smoke just to enter the building. I am a health conscious person who exercises and tries to eat right. It annoys me that my health could be affected by other people's bad habits. I would appreciate any advice about things I could do to try to minmize the effects of this smoke. I always try to walk fast and not to inhale too much when I walk by.
Smokers shouldn't be allowed to smoke anywhere near the entrance or exit to the building.

You should talk to your HR person or supervisor and see how this can be addressed.

If your business relies on customers or clients coming in through this entrance it should definitely be addressed since it imparts a very negative first impression of the company.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,690,651 times
Quote:
I doubt that is as dangerous as the air you breathe just being outside but you can see it. the exhaust form auto and other sources is much more dangerous to your health. Bascially breathing now days has a risk but often less than in the past.in fact indoor air in your house is said to be even worse on your health.
I have never heard of a cigarette smoke alert on the evening news but I do hear of the ozone alert a lot. Ozone

Getting away from cigarette smoke is easy, getting away from the ozone alert is not so easy. Why do we keep ignoring the really BIG dangerous problem while spending a lot of time on such a small one?

By the way, how do you get to work?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:42 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,222,406 times
Quote:
Good morning,
I work for a company that allows it's employees to smoke in the front of the building. Often I have to walk thru a cloud of smoke just to enter the building. I am a health conscious person who exercises and tries to eat right. It annoys me that my health could be affected by other people's bad habits. I would appreciate any advice about things I could do to try to minmize the effects of this smoke. I always try to walk fast and not to inhale too much when I walk by.
This just frost my biscuits! Why worry about a bit of smoke when the very air we all breath is polluted with air borne toxins far worse than tobacco smoke!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 PM

1,945 posts, read 4,064,316 times
yeah, I'd hold my breath.

Never understood people who smoke. paying good money to shorten your life. Odd.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM

5,346 posts, read 11,512,121 times
Quote:
I am not judging. I don't care what anybody else does to their body I just don't want their poor choices to affect my health.
In case you hadn't figured it out.....most of the people giving you a hard time are smokers themselves.....go figure

Bottom line....in this day and age, smoking is no longer "cool, hip or encouraged" it is discouraged, decidedly uncool and filthy.

No one should have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in or out of a building.

Don't listen to those who say "hold your breath". Stick to your guns and make a stink, the smokers should have to indulge their habit as far away from non smokers as possible.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:20 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,972,421 times
I agree with bluedevilz and I am a smoker. I only smoke at home though and only about 2-3 cigs a day. I get annoyed when I have to walk through other peoples clouds of smoke too. I only smoke in the evening and during the day, the smell of second hand smoke is just nauseating to me. I live in AZ and we have a law that prohibits smoking within 20 feet (I think) of a building entrance. It may be shorter for anywhere where food is served. I'd recommend sticking with it and filing a complaint with your HR department or building management. You can run by and hold your breath until you're blue in the face, but you'll still reek like smoke once you get inside.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,117,569 times
To the OP, please disregard all of the "there's so much worse out there!" posts. There is nothing wrong with avoiding things which are bad for you; if you have the ability to avoid something bad it is downright idiotic to not do so. I agree with all those who suggest you speak with someone from HR, or if you are at a small place of business, the office manager. It is a very simple solution to have the smokers to move 20 feet away from the front entrance.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Don't listen to those who say "hold your breath". Stick to your guns and make a stink, the smokers should have to indulge their habit as far away from non smokers as possible.
yeah, stick to those guns , be righteous, make a stink, don't hold your breath and continue to be afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness