U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 11,485,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
yeah, stick to those guns , be righteous, make a stink, don't hold your breath and continue to be afraid.
That's right and you keep on smoking and living in denial thinking you have the right to pollute the air others breathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,145,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

No one should have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get in or out of a building.
Why? Don't we all tolerate a lot of things which tick us off or offend us? Or, do you raise a "stink" every time someone does something around you that you don't like?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,658,951 times
Quote:
That's right and you keep on smoking and living in denial thinking you have the right to pollute the air others breathe.
I'll tell you what ... your cherished pharmaceuticals and a large percentage of your cherished mainstream medical practices and the car you drive, the meat you eat, the non-organic produce you consume, the cleaning agents you use, the packaged food you buy (the packaged everything you buy) and a whole slew of other stupid human behaviors and habits that i'm fairly sure you partake in are doing much, much more harm than out-side second hand smoke and that's the truth. (who's in denial?)
When you (and others who share your attitudes) give up each and every activity and product that is contributing to the degradation of our environment and to the ill health of all of its inhabitants, then come talk to me.
And yes, i struggle with an addiction but fyi, i never smoke inside and never smoke around other people ... not because i think that a little organic tobacco smoke is going to hurt them but because i don't enjoy fear, judgment and other unsavory attitudes (which are far more odious than some tobacco smoke wafting through the air) that cigarettes smoking provokes.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 03-19-2010 at 07:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why? Don't we all tolerate a lot of things which tick us off or offend us? Or, do you raise a "stink" every time someone does something around you that you don't like?
Everyone has different deal breakers, things which make us speak up. You get to define yours, and he (or she) gets to define his.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you what ... your cherished pharmaceuticals and a large percentage of your cherished mainstream medical practices and the car you drive, the meat you eat, the non-organic produce you consume, the cleaning agents you use, the packaged food you buy (the packaged everything you buy) and a whole slew of other stupid human behaviors and habits that i'm fairly sure you partake in are doing much, much more harm than out-side second hand smoke and that's the truth. (who's in denial?)
When you (and others who share your attitudes) give up each and every activity and product that is contributing to the degradation of our environment and to the ill health of all of its inhabitants, then come talk to me.
And yes, i struggle with an addiction but fyi, i never smoke inside and never smoke around other people ... not because i think that a little organic tobacco smoke is going to hurt them but because i don't enjoy fear, judgment and other unsavory attitudes (which are far more odious than some tobacco smoke wafting through the air) that cigarettes smoking provokes.
Yada yada yada ......organic tobacco smoke......LOL.......good for organic lung cancer....

.......lets review the topic of this thread again.....

The OP doesn't want to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into his/her building.....where exactly do pharmaceuticals, meat, medical practices, packaged foods, etc, etc, etc come into this discussion

They DON'T

NONE of the nonsense you just wrote CHANGES the basic fact that smoking should not be allowed IN or AROUND public buildings

its 2010....smoking is no longer socially acceptable.....it never should have been socially acceptable....

Cigarette smoke is not some benign, minor nuisance of "organic tobacco smoke gently wafting on some spring time breeze".....nice try at the tobacco commercial though

Cigarette smoke is a filthy, foul smelling, noxious, asthma inducing, cancer causing cloud of burning particulate matter.... THAT is the basis of the fear and judgment provoked by your unsavory habit.....

Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why??

I think you have posed the question in reverse.....

Why SHOULD a decided minority of the population be allowed to shove a tube stuffed with dried weeds in their face, light it on fire and breathe their noxious fumes into the air around the majority of the population that finds this practice decidedly offensive????

Why SHOULD a decided minority of the population with no regard for their own health be allowed to foul the air around those who do care about their health???

Did I miss the article in the Constitution that gives Americans the right to smoke around others???

Why "shouldn't" smokers be allowed to smoke in front of building entrances???

No.....

The question is why "should" this be allowed....

Feel free to construct and defend an argument that would logically explain how this could be construed as a defensible right of smokers....

Old 03-19-2010, 10:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,658,951 times
Quote:
Yada yada yada ......organic tobacco smoke......LOL.......good for organic lung cancer....

The OP doesn't want to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into his/her building.....where exactly do pharmaceuticals, meat, medical practices, packaged foods, etc, etc, etc come into this discussion

They DON'T

NONE of the nonsense you just wrote CHANGES the basic fact that smoking should not be allowed IN or AROUND public buildings

its 2010....smoking is no longer socially acceptable.....it never should have been socially acceptable....

Cigarette smoke is not some benign, minor nuisance of "organic tobacco smoke gently wafting on some spring time breeze".....nice try at the tobacco commercial though

Cigarette smoke is a filthy, foul smelling, noxious, asthma inducing, cancer causing cloud of burning particulate matter.... THAT is the basis of the fear and judgment provoked by your unsavory habit.....
see my previous post.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Everyone has different deal breakers, things which make us speak up. You get to define yours, and he (or she) gets to define his.

Yes, but does that definition produce the right or obligation to compel others to change their behavior, especially by the use of law? While a case can surely be made that obviously dangerous activities, such as driving drunk, should be restricted by law for the common good, such a compelling case cannot be made for merely aggravating activities.

If we assume the "right" to restrict anything anybody does which we only find offensive, where does it stop and who gets to be the final authority?

It's seems to me that a little tolerance is order, rather than more restrictions on someone else's freedoms of action and choice.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:

They DON'T

Farting is socially unacceptable too, but I don't see you demanding your co-workers leave the building to do that. It should be obvious that exposure to methane within the confines of the work place should be far more offensive than incidental contact with cigarette smoke outside.

I could give other examples, but in the end it all boils down to intolerance and prejudice. Smokers are the new Untermenchen, the new lower caste, and smoke-Nazi's the new bigots. It all has far less to do with health than it does self-righteousness and hypocrisy.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
see my previous post.
I did....it was nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness