U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,175,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
So in ADDITION to the air the OP breathes and the water she drinks, she should also be subjected to regularly and DAILY (not incidentally) breathing in second hand smoke?
People are missing a point here. Her office is a closed-in space and people are smoking and it's up in the air, THE WHOLE DAY.
I'm really really surprised by some comments made here. Some "health" advocates are showing true colors indeed.

And if you want to post a link about cadmium, start with this:

- The Dangers of Cadmium

Nobody is smoking in the OP's office. They're simply standing outside by the door, so any exposure she has would be limited to a few times a day (probably no more than 4) and only for a brief few seconds.

Really. Get a grip. It's not going to kill her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Its nonsense because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the point of this thread

Its nonsense because you so want to move the discussion away from what the OP came here to discuss

Its nonsense because the OP didn't ask how to save the planet, just how to avoid having the air in front of his building from being fouled

No one really cares about your agenda to hijack the thread and make it about something other than smoking
you're just silly.
wouldn't that be nice?
the point is, dear man (woman?), that there are a whole slew of human habits and activities (that i'm sure you partake in) that are far more harmful than some outdoor tobacco smoke.
if you walk by it and you're afraid of it, hold your breath.
simple.
if the powers that be wanna make smoking outside of pubic buildings illegal, they can go right ahead ... i don't care if they do or if they don't.
i have no agenda ... just telling it like it is.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 03-20-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 09:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,754,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Nobody is smoking in the OP's office. They're simply standing outside by the door, so any exposure she has would be limited to a few times a day (probably no more than 4) and only for a brief few seconds.

Really. Get a grip. It's not going to kill her!
No, you get real. It may not kill her, but it may affect her health in a negative way. Even if it's just a constant migraine or difficulty breathing, it may catch up eventually.
And yes, of course, employees are being very emphatetic and blowing the smoke "outside" the door.

We had a security guard in the building I worked at. He would stand inside the lobby checking people's IDs. All the employees would stand outside and smoke and the air/smoke would blow into the lobby. He wasn't even hanging out outside with them. He had all kinds of health issues, difficulty breathing, migraines, depression. I'm not saying it was all the smoke, but I'm SURE it contributed.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I am NOT a smoke nazi, but people should NOT BE SMOKING INSIDE. Period. You wanna smoke, go outside. This is a horrible policy to have in the office.
While I agree nobody should be smoking indoors around other people who don't agree to it, it's apparently not as dangerous as many would have us believe. After all, it hasn't been that long ago that just about EVERY office, theater, bus, taxi, airplane, public space and restaurant were full of smokers, yet those of us who were exposed to it are not dying off by the millions.

I was born in 1949 and for most of my life, smoking was not only permitted, it was wide-spread and most people did it. Restrictions on smoking didn't become de rigeur until the late 80's or early 90's. That means I spent the first 40 years of my life exposed to massive volumes of second hand smoke, in addition to the 1-3 packs I've smoked myself since I was a teenager. You'd think I'd be dead by now, along with all my contemporaries, but I'm not. In fact, I'm in as good a health as any other 60 year old I know of. If second hand smoke is so bad for us, why aren't I dead? Why isn't my whole generation?

If we have survived such an awful exposure to such deadly toxins for many, many years, doesn't in stand to reason that the OP, or you, has little to fear from smelling a whiff of it every now and then?

Please keep things in perspective. There are a million things we're exposed to every day which can harm us, and about that many more which can kill us outright, so why the obession and irrational fear about a little cigarette smoke? Don't be driven into a panic by the merchants of doom and fear who want you to support restricting the rights and freedoms of other people. Don't fall for the hype or it'll be directed at you soon.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
While I agree nobody should be smoking indoors around other people who don't agree to it, it's apparently not as dangerous as many would have us believe. After all, it hasn't been that long ago that just about EVERY office, theater, bus, taxi, airplane, public space and restaurant were full of smokers, yet those of us who were exposed to it are not dying off by the millions.

I was born in 1949 and for most of my life, smoking was not only permitted, it was wide-spread and most people did it. Restrictions on smoking didn't become de rigeur until the late 80's or early 90's. That means I spent the first 40 years of my life exposed to massive volumes of second hand smoke, in addition to the 1-3 packs I've smoked myself since I was a teenager. You'd think I'd be dead by now, along with all my contemporaries, but I'm not. In fact, I'm in as good a health as any other 60 year old I know of. If second hand smoke is so bad for us, why aren't I dead? Why isn't my whole generation?

If we have survived such an awful exposure to such deadly toxins for many, many years, doesn't in stand to reason that the OP, or you, has little to fear from smelling a whiff of it every now and then?

Please keep things in perspective. There are a million things we're exposed to every day which can harm us, and about that many more which can kill us outright, so why the obession and irrational fear about a little cigarette smoke? Don't be driven into a panic by the merchants of doom and fear who want you to support restricting the rights and freedoms of other people. Don't fall for the hype or it'll be directed at you soon.
I'll tell you why. Because everything else was cleaner. I agree with Coyote that we also have to worry about the food, the air, the environment. But the truth is, years ago, our air was cleaner, our food was cleaner and overall our environment was cleaner. Therefore, second hand smoking was not such a hazzard and such a big deal, but you are telling me to put things in perspective for you so here is my perspective: we are subjected to way too much crap to add any additional crap to our lives already. You are lucky you were born when you were born, so you can afford to be sceptical. Nobody is panicking here. What I'm trying to say is that calling the danger of second smoke a fallacy, is a fallacy in itself.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,213,486 times
Quote:
I'll tell you why. Because everything else was cleaner. I agree with Coyote that we also have to worry about the food, the air, the environment. But the truth is, years ago, our air was cleaner, our food was cleaner and overall our environment was cleaner.

I guess it would depend on where you live, because the air and water in my state is cleaner now, than it was when i was a child. The manufacturing plants belching out noxious black clouds no longer exist. I don't smell or breathe anything from the tailpipe of a car, which is something that was a major problem up until around the early 90's. The water at the beaches is now clean enough that i would go in. It was positively disgusting 30 years ago.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
But the truth is, years ago, our air was cleaner, our food was cleaner and overall our environment was cleaner.

Maybe back in the stone ages, but certainly not in my lifetime and surely not since the dawn of the industrial revolution.

I lived in the Los Angeles area back in the 1960's and can tell you without fear of being refuted that the air back then was far, far worse than it is now. There were many days when we could not see the San Gabriel Mountains because of the pollution and days when the air itself was brown and smelled like rotten fruit. That was normal and common, unlike now.

Water? I lived in southern Oklahoma back before they got community water and my best friend almost died from a bacteria he got from the family well. ALL of our water was polluted with what we now call Agent Orange because it was sprayed on the cotton fields every year. We also breathed it and wallowed in it when we picked cotton in the early fall. There were no public sewer systems and damn few septic tanks in the rural areas in the 1950's and 60's. Gray water and, in many instances, raw sewage was piped out into the bar ditches alongside the road. Even outhouses were common well into the 1960's.

Urban areas weren't a heck of a lot better because the sewer systems weren't up to the job and nearby beaches, rivers and lakes were regularly fouled by overflow. I can recall raw sewage flowing down the Red River toward Louisiana untreated and have personally seen beaches closed because of it around San Diego and Los Angeles.

Garbage back then wasn't collected; it was burned in barrels by most people and, in the case of New York City and northern New Jersey, hauled out to sea and dumped by the thousands of tons. It routinely washed up in Europe.

I could go on and on about the environment back then, but suffice it to say that we now live in a far, far, FAR cleaner world then we did just a few decades ago. My life began before there was an EPA or evironmentalism or OSHA or any number of other government programs and mandates to clean things up, yet I'm still alive. So are most of my generation.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at modern-day metrosexual's who have grown up in a world pristine by comparison to the one I grew up in who are worried about every little thing which might hurt them, including a little cigarette smoke. Y'all don't have a clue how tough, how adaptive, how hard to kill the human body is because you've been safe and protected since the day you were born.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Maybe back in the stone ages, but certainly not in my lifetime and surely not since the dawn of the industrial revolution.

I lived in the Los Angeles area back in the 1960's and can tell you without fear of being refuted that the air back then was far, far worse than it is now. There were many days when we could not see the San Gabriel Mountains because of the pollution and days when the air itself was brown and smelled like rotten fruit. That was normal and common, unlike now.

Water? I lived in southern Oklahoma back before they got community water and my best friend almost died from a bacteria he got from the family well. ALL of our water was polluted with what we now call Agent Orange because it was sprayed on the cotton fields every year. We also breathed it and wallowed in it when we picked cotton in the early fall. There were no public sewer systems and damn few septic tanks in the rural areas in the 1950's and 60's. Gray water and, in many instances, raw sewage was piped out into the bar ditches alongside the road. Even outhouses were common well into the 1960's.

Urban areas weren't a heck of a lot better because the sewer systems weren't up to the job and nearby beaches, rivers and lakes were regularly fouled by overflow. I can recall raw sewage flowing down the Red River toward Louisiana untreated and have personally seen beaches closed because of it around San Diego and Los Angeles.

Garbage back then wasn't collected; it was burned in barrels by most people and, in the case of New York City and northern New Jersey, hauled out to sea and dumped by the thousands of tons. It routinely washed up in Europe.

I could go on and on about the environment back then, but suffice it to say that we now live in a far, far, FAR cleaner world then we did just a few decades ago. My life began before there was an EPA or evironmentalism or OSHA or any number of other government programs and mandates to clean things up, yet I'm still alive. So are most of my generation.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at modern-day metrosexual's who have grown up in a world pristine by comparison to the one I grew up in who are worried about every little thing which might hurt them, including a little cigarette smoke. Y'all don't have a clue how tough, how adaptive, how hard to kill the human body is because you've been safe and protected since the day you were born.
You are kidding, right? Whatever.

I don't know why I consistently have to argue the dangers of toxins and chemicals especially of second hand smoke.
Think whatever you think, just don't teach this generation the nonsense. Let us deal with it our way.
You can laugh all you want, but just because you have lived until 60 surrounded by smoke, doesn't mean it's healthy. That is just a fact. By the way, it's funny how people now days think living until 60 is an achievement when a human body under the right conditions can live way longer then a 100.
I do not see how we are safe and protected anymore then you were. You had your problems in the 60s, we have our own which are probably just as bad. Water is NOT cleaner then it was before, it is just as bad, I guarantee you. I also noticed that you didn't mention anything about the quality of our food in comparison to 50 years ago, but that's okay.

Anyway - I stand by what I said. Second hand smoke after continuous exposure is harmful for a human body. I bet that OP doesn't only pass by the cloud of smoke around the entrance of her building, people smoke everywhere on every corner. But that's okay. Let self-righteous cancer stick suckers continue polluting the environment and have people like you tell them that it's okay.

Last edited by max's mama; 03-21-2010 at 04:12 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,262,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Good morning,
I work for a company that allows it's employees to smoke in the front of the building. Often I have to walk thru a cloud of smoke just to enter the building. I am a health conscious person who exercises and tries to eat right. It annoys me that my health could be affected by other people's bad habits. I would appreciate any advice about things I could do to try to minmize the effects of this smoke. I always try to walk fast and not to inhale too much when I walk by.
I got some good advice...stop breathing!

Most everywhere you go will have pollutants in the air, and you're concerned about cig smoke .

I'll tell you what gets me...how some single out cig smoke but seem totally oblivious to all the other crap they breath in every day, but of course, I'm forgetting, none of that pollution causes cancer or asthma or whatever else does it , only cig smoke. I suggest you could begin showing some consideration for others who may not appreciate breathing in your exhaled carbon dioxide too , too much of that and I won't feel real well either.

Walk around the cig smoke and suck in all those diesel fumes spewing out of all those vehicles, mixed with whatever else happens to be polluting the air on any given day.

Love your sense of humour , I do believe I'm the only one who saw the funny side of what you said .

Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
You are kidding, right? Whatever.

I don't know why I consistently have to argue the dangers of toxins and chemicals especially of second hand smoke.
Think whatever you think, just don't teach this generation the nonsense. Let us deal with it our way.
You can laugh all you want, but just because you have lived until 60 surrounded by smoke, doesn't mean it's healthy. That is just a fact. By the way, it's funny how people now days think living until 60 is an achievement when a human body under the right conditions can live way longer then a 100.
I do not see how we are safe and protected anymore then you were. You had your problems in the 60s, we have our own which are probably just as bad. Water is NOT cleaner then it was before, it is just as bad, I guarantee you. I also noticed that you didn't mention anything about the quality of our food in comparison to 50 years ago, but that's okay.

Anyway - I stand by what I said. Second hand smoke after continuous exposure is harmful for a human body. I bet that OP doesn't only pass by the cloud of smoke around the entrance of her building, people smoke everywhere on every corner. But that's okay. Let self-righteous cancer stick suckers continue polluting the environment and have people like you tell them that it's okay.

I didn't mention the food we ate back then because I'd already said enough..I thought.

But...if you want to talk food, let's begin with DDT. It was on just about everything we ate because everyone used it liberally, including home gardener's. So were other pesticides as dangerous and there was very little control over it.

Meat packers were marginally inspected; retailers hardly at all. Food borne illnesses were quite common. And, we didn't pass it off as the "stomach flu."

Oh well, there's no point in going on. You're bound and determined to live in a state of panic and fear over something, so it might as well be cigarettes.

By the way, it's snowing and blowing here in my part of Texas right now. God knows what it's brought down out of the polluted air! Guess I'd better warn the kids to put mask's and bio-hazard suits on the grandkids before they let them go out and play in it...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness