Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
In other words.....where they belonged in the first place.

That's an opinion shared only by a few remaining intolerant bigots. Many, many non-smokers are rapidly coming the conclusion that it's gone far enough already and that they may be next under the gun as the health-Nazi's set their sights on other "unhealthy" behaviors, such as eating fast food, enjoying a sugary snack or, God forbid, using salt.

More and more rational, intelligent, thinking non-smokers are finally beginning to see that this whole issue isn't about health; it's about civil rights, freedom and liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
As far as I know, they are still hanging out in front of entrances, in the parks, the beaches, the streets and bars in most of the states.
It's only temporary. The smoke-Nazi's won't let up until we're banished from the face of the earth, unless we join forces and fight back.

Quote:
Oh, those poor poor smokers, let's all sit and cry for them together of how unfairly they are being treated! And look at the prices!!! They are being robbed!!!
Or maybe we should all start crying for them, but for other, more obvious reasons.
Cry for us and we'll cry for you when the health-Nazi's come for something you like to do.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's an opinion shared only by a few remaining intolerant bigots. Many, many non-smokers are rapidly coming the conclusion that it's gone far enough already and that they may be next under the gun as the health-Nazi's set their sights on other "unhealthy" behaviors, such as eating fast food, enjoying a sugary snack or, God forbid, using salt.

More and more rational, intelligent, thinking non-smokers are finally beginning to see that this whole issue isn't about health; it's about civil rights, freedom and liberty.

You can't compare eating fast food, enjoying sugary snack or using salt to smoking. It's a nice try, but you just can't. When you eat bad food you are harming your own body only, and it's not true for smokers.

You keep calling us anti-smoking nazis without realizing how insulting it is, and accusing us of being insulting? As I said, I don't care what those smokers are doing, but they should stop advocating the fact that second-hand smoking is not harmful, because they are spreading lies.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
It's only temporary. The smoke-Nazi's won't let up until we're banished from the face of the earth, unless we join forces and fight back.

Cry for us and we'll cry for you when the health-Nazi's come for something you like to do.

Don't worry. Anything that possibly may improve my health and health of my kids will only be welcomed by my family.

And by the way, your angry posts just reconfirmed for me that you are the one in fact with the agenda here.

ETA: do whatever the hell you want with your body, just leave innocent bystanders out of it.

If second hand smoke wasn't harmful to others and to the environment, I wouldn't give a single damn about smoking at all.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Yes, but does that definition produce the right or obligation to compel others to change their behavior, especially by the use of law? While a case can surely be made that obviously dangerous activities, such as driving drunk, should be restricted by law for the common good, such a compelling case cannot be made for merely aggravating activities.

If we assume the "right" to restrict anything anybody does which we only find offensive, where does it stop and who gets to be the final authority?

It's seems to me that a little tolerance is order, rather than more restrictions on someone else's freedoms of action and choice.
I'm not interested in taking my post down this pseudo-intellectual path to further your personal agenda. I just want my words to stand as they are.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is no evidence that second-hand smoke is harmful. It is a fallacy. You are exposed to much higher levels of potential carcinogens by the exhaust fumes you breathe when driving to work.

20yrsinBranson
I don't remember breathing exhaust fumes when driving. Now, if I stood behind a vehicle while it is running, to remove snow and ice, or walked in between running vehicles, then that much is obvious. But, we breathe exhaust fumes while driving?

-COM

Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
I don't remember breathing exhaust fumes when driving. Now, if I stood behind a vehicle while it is running, to remove snow and ice, or walked in between running vehicles, then that much is obvious. But, we breathe exhaust fumes while driving?

-COM
What...? Is your vehicle air tight ? I wouldn't do any long distance driving then, cos you'd never make it to your desination due to suffocating on your own exhaled carbon dioxide!

Don't you ever have the air vents open? How do you get in or out of the vehicle without opening the doors? As soon as you open a door, guess what...air comes in! Ever tried sailing your vehicle to test how air tight it is? I wouldn't, cos I think you'll find you'll end up with wet feet.

You don't think that you breath in fumes of all sorts just by standing on a street corner? or in fact, inside your very own house or flat, or are they air tight too? Somehow I don't think so .

I think praps you memory may not be too good .

Old 03-22-2010, 05:21 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:

Really???

Prove it....

I would say the overwhelming MAJORITY of Americans are quite happy with smokers not being allowed to smoke anywhere around them.....and it isn't even close....

As for "civil rights, freedom and liberty" lol

WHOSE civil rights are being abridged?? Whose freedom and liberty are being curtailed??

Where exactly is it written that smokers have the god given right to pollute the air of everyone around them??

For decades it was the civil rights, freedoms and liberty of the nonsmokers that was trampled on....the pendulum has finally swung where it belonged in the first place...

Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I think it would be very informative to try this same question ( the original question many pages ago that is) with a poll attached....

Its very clear to me that those OPPOSED to walking through a cloud of smoke to enter a building are non-smokers....

Those who say suck it up, hold your breath, quit your whining, what are you afraid and other enlightening comments are smokers....

Who would have thunk it

Not necessarily. I'm one of those who stated that walking past a few smokers on your way to work was not going to hurt you. I'm NOT a smoker. I'm just tired of seeing our freedoms taken away from us. Because the majority of people do not smoke, does not mean we should be unreasonable to those who do.

Let's not forget the OP's concern here, folks. She's worried about health risks from walking past some smokers a time or two each day, not from being cooped up in an office with them all day long. My gawd, what if she were to burn her toast in the morning and have to stay in the house with the fumes?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
Ah yes. All these "addicts" will have you believe its not a bid deal as you breath in pollutants in daily life anyway. Quit whinning and man up! Whats the big deal? Breathing in some smoke? You are just picking on the smoker (again...) Leave them alone!

Give me a break...

While true, breathing in car exhaust or polliution from factories is not good for you. I am sorry, it is NOT worse than breathing in someone's cigarette smoke on a regular basis. If you were to breath in cigarette smoke several times a day, that is going to affect your health and you could get lung cancer. Lets see, spending a whole day in a smoke filled room, vs walking around in NYC....

There is a choice here people. You don't have to spend hundreds of $$ on your precious smokes and expose us to it. The only benefit is feeding your selfish addiction. Driving my car, has a very good and real purpose. It takes me from point A to point B. And we really don't have a choice as the majority of the cars sold today run on gas. When there is a mass and viable option for combustion free cars, I will buy one! I have no choice but breath in pollutants, but I have a choice to not want to breath in your stupid cigarette smoke! Go do it in a back ally, with all the other drug addicts, and leave us alone! I should be able to walk to my work or any other place and NOT breath in your toxic by product.

Bottom line. Don't let these addicts tell you otherwise. The drug has twisted all logic out of their brain and this helps justify their (continued) drug dependance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness