Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times

Advertisements

Ok- I've hesitated to ask because I'm afraid I might be just paranoid- not to mention I'm afraid of what I might hear.

I'm going to turn 37 this week- and I believe I might be having hot flashes. I'm curious what others might be able to tell me about how they start.

For the last year or so I've had an occasional episode (and I mean weeks and months apart) in which I get hot and nobody else around me is.

But for the last week, I've woke up in the middle of the night drenched. It's only happening every couple nights but it's not normal for me.

Could this be the start of early menopause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,717 times
Sounds like it could be...

I was peri-menopause before I knew such a thing existed...started very early - early/mid thirties.

The first thing I noticed, which my OBGYN denounced, was the huge change in my cycles. Used to be 7 days...ugh. Suddenly shortened to 4...3...and once on fertility assistance, down to TWO.

I started having hot flashes which I couldn't be sure were natural or incited...weird cold sweats...or feeling hot but getting chills...but then something changed - my flashes were internal - I didn't always feel warm to the touch, but my innards felt close to combustion - a hot pulse in my chest. FREAKY.

Then somebody actually paid attention to my bloodwork results and informed me that I was entering menopause, that it could be anytime now...6 months or 10 years. Great.

After discontinuing therapy and going another route, I have seen the cycle whittle down to one day, been that way for over a year now.

Can't remember my middle name on a bad day.

The flashes aren't regular yet, but seem to happen about twice a month for a day or two...then nothing. Still that pulsation. So far.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
I second the vote for peri-menopause. Late 30's seems to be about the time when it can start. You could always have your doctor do the blood work to determine what your hormone levels are; that should help clarify things. But from what you described, I'm betting it's the beginning of menopause, ("peri-menopause.") Those hot flashes can be intermittent, coming and going, as well as your cycle becoming erratic. I would make a doctor's appointment just for clarification -- Don't be too freaked out -- If I lived through it, believe me, you will too! (And at the time, I didn't even KNOW I was living through it! How wierd is that!?)

Take gentle care,
June

Old 06-05-2007, 04:22 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Welcome to my world You're not too young for hot flashes, my sister in law started at menopause at 32, it can happen very young. Here is what I take for mine: one Eperbel (prescription, but not a hormone), four extra strength Estroven two in am two in pm, two Blach Cohosh Root at night. I am 52, mine started three years ago and are some what under control now. In the last year and half I have only had one period, that part is wonderful. If you're really suffering go see your doctor. This is the most miserable feeling, it's being hot from the inside out. When you're having a really bad one, stick your head in the freezer...it feels great.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
I used to call mine Internal Nuclear Explosions. It would feel like a mushroom cloud just started in the center of your being and moved thru it at warp speed. I finally gave in and called my dr. the day I found myself standing in a snowbank during a snowstorm in February in 20 degree weather, stripping off my clothes. NOT a pretty sight!

Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,967 times
you are a little early, but maybe it runs in your family. there is a blood test that tells the md exactly where you are in relation to the change. i was 47, having sweats etc and the test showed i was right in the middle of it. she gave me prempro (13 years ago when you could take them) and i never had a hot flash again and was done with the monthly stuff. it was the greatest. unfortunately they took us off prempro and ive never felt the same. i wish every day i could go back on them and may be i can talk her into it.

get the test and go from there

Old 06-05-2007, 07:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,695 times
My hot flashes were never really bad, once in a great while I still get one. My body temperature sure has changed but all in all I've had an easy time. I did not want to take any medication because I have a history of cancer. I had a few personality changes that now I can contribute to menapause and I can't remember s*** but thats okay, life is still pretty great. Talk to your doctor, I did not believe mine "Oh no, I am just way too young" said the young 39 year old!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:21 PM

Well my cycles seem to be fairly normal- and actually shorter (more frequent) if anything. More like every 3-4 weeks rather than 4-5.

The hot flashes you all described seem more dramatic than mine- when I'm awake I just break into a sweat and become flushed when everyone else seems comfortable. The recent night ones have woke me from a deep sleep though- and I've kicked off the covers and stripped out of my tops to cool off. It seems to be the worst in my chest area- the heat and sweating.

I am due for my annual this month and need to schedule an appointment- last year I had to have a D&C due to heavy cycles and I believe one of the blood tests she gave me was to check hormone levels- My mother didn't have hot flashes until she was in her 50s- and I'm beginning to regret all the teasing I gave her.

My moods seem to be steady- but my "drive and desire" seems to have decreased somewhat. I don't know if that's a sign.

Thanks for all of the advice-

Old 06-05-2007, 09:53 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
Wow, I'm glad someone posted about this. I have also been experiencing hot flashes occasionally, my periods have been irregular as well as irritibility. My husband and mother-in-law tend to think it's premenopause...I have been thinking I have a cyst on my ovary. Now I'm confused .
I really don't want to go to the doctor

Can anyone else differentiate between menopause and a possible cyst?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 AM

kawgz, from what I've heard about ovarian cysts, they are quite painful at certain times during your cycle. I'm not sure they affect moods or give you hot flashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness