Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,928,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Ok, where do you get YOUR dopamine, sweetie?

Yoga?

I'm in good shape. If you get up and do stuff at least 3 times a week, you can eat somewhat unhealthy and still be in decent shape. I can't stand the "the chemicals in our food is why we are fat" logic. If you want to complain on whats on your plate, look at how big the plate is. American serving sizes are massive compared to the rest of the world. I eat ALOT, I can eat an entire pizza from Pizza Hut and still be hungry. I just get off my ass and do stuff so I don't become obese.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,692,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Hope you're doing something about that.

I don't spend hours on-line everyday.
And one of these days i'll pull the plug and liberate myself completely from it.
Imagine what the world would be like if people were free of all but the most essential media.
Imagine how the dominant / consumer / media driven culture would collapse.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM

433 posts, read 1,138,907 times
Dub D "I can't stand the "the chemicals in our food is why we are fat" logic. If you want to complain on whats on your plate, look at how big the plate is."

I use a small plate for my food and most generally it is ONE plate. I don't drink much soda and I don't eat sugar, processed flour, or use the quick meal stuff. I am happy for you that you can eat what you want and exercise and keep it off. When I was walking 3 plus miles a day 6 days a week I didn't lose a thing and the blood sugars didn't go down and this wasn't just on level ground. I was walking up in the foothills near my home. It really bugs me that persons such as yourself find it hard to believe that some people have a problem with the chemicals in foods. There are drugs that you are given for certain health problems also cause weight gain. Perhaps you should read Jillian Michaels book Master Your Metabolism and see what she has to say on the subject. There are things out there that mess with metabolism.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM

77,721 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Why Are So Many American Women Fat?
Very unscientifically I'll guess it's due to poor eating habits, too much fast food, prepared food, and sweet stuff. Does anyone still cook at home these days? Especially when the drive thru is much more convenient.
Another reason is that American women are not very active. Daytime TV provides one must-see show after another; the soaps, talk shows, Judge Judy, etc. Who would want to miss those? So they sit on the sofa and snack while watching TV.
Maybe another reason is frustration about many things. Unfullfilled love life, debt, boredom, etc. So they eat sweets to make themselves feel good.
It doesn't matter. Take care of your own business and you can then land one of the fit gals and everyone else can date the others.

Besides, there are more fit women than men....so if you have it going on as a guy, you get the best selection.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,608,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I don't spend hours on-line everyday.
And one of these days i'll pull the plug and liberate myself completely from it.
Imagine what the world would be like if people were free of all but the most essential media.
Imagine how the dominant / consumer / media driven culture would collapse.
Don't. I'm gonna miss you

Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,167,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I'm not so sure about this claim. I am very skinny. I am a very healthy eater and an active person, so I am in good shape. I also eat a ton of food. Even when I am not terribly active (in the middle of winter) I am still eating a lot and I am still not gaining weight. When I go to dinner with my friends who are fifty or more pounds heavier than I am, I will literally eat twice the amount of food that they do. I think that a person's inherent genetic metabolism has to play a part in some of it.

But, then again, I don't eat garbage (no sweets, soda, etc..) so this may explain it. I am barely 140 pounds and I easily pound 3,000 calories a day or more though.

That is what they eat in front of you.

You need about 2000 cals just sitting around at that weight. So to eat 3000 and be active is not that much. That is just two hours per week of cardio that would knock you back down to around 2000 that would keep your weight level.

Also the weight is ALWAYS a cumulative result of all actions.

Random fact: Those packaged products can have a calorie labeling error for up to 30%. Non-organic foods can also have more calories because they are designed to have a sweet taste. (grown to have higher sugar) Junk totally messes with your blood sugar and make loss take longer to show. Don't even start with it.

I always think of those 100 calorie packs people diet with. I want to burn them to see if they ARE 100 calories or more...but...I don't think the LL would be too cool with me setting off the fire alarm for the building. LOL

p.s. I got the metab info from an interview on metabolism. They were interviewing a doctor from Harvard. He stated that metabolic differences were understudied and nothing has shown more than a 30% difference. But that number could be attributed to clinic error and body composition (higher body fat = need less cals). If you want to mess around with that just look for a calorie calculator that gives you total cals needed by your lean mass. So if your higher body fat percentage friend of the same weight was eating 100 extra cals everyday....thats a total of 36,500 cals a year they don't need. 36500/3500 (cals in a pound)= 10.43 extra pounds a year on their frame.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,982,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I'm in good shape. If you get up and do stuff at least 3 times a week, you can eat somewhat unhealthy and still be in decent shape. I can't stand the "the chemicals in our food is why we are fat" logic. If you want to complain on whats on your plate, look at how big the plate is. American serving sizes are massive compared to the rest of the world. I eat ALOT, I can eat an entire pizza from Pizza Hut and still be hungry. I just get off my ass and do stuff so I don't become obese.
Some of us don't sit on our ass or eat MAN size portions of food. Some of us have a genetic predisposition to metabolize food into fat quicker as an inherited survival mechanism. The easiest food to turn into fat for us are starches, grains and sugars.
I hike twice a day EVERY DAY on a 1.5-3 mile circuit. I've found I STILL HAVE TO AVOID THESE FOODS.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,167,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Some of us don't sit on our ass or eat MAN size portions of food. Some of us have a genetic predisposition to metabolize food into fat quicker as an inherited survival mechanism. The easiest food to turn into fat for us are starches, grains and sugars.
I hike twice a day EVERY DAY on a 1.5-3 mile circuit. I've found I STILL HAVE TO AVOID THESE FOODS.
Mild food allergies can make you pack pounds on easily. If you don't already you may feel better on one of the gluten free diets. Even if its only every few months or so. Its kinda $$$$. But those food in general tend to have 3 times the amount of calories in the same amount of density/ chunk of food.
Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories (bigtime in junkfood)
Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories (bigtime in junkfood)
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

The difference between the protein and the carbs is that you get sick after a certain level of protein. You might even throw up. But one can eat carbs all the live long day and not get that protein nausea. Plus if it has the lovely hunger gate of corn syrup in it that leaves you always hungry....

Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,943,951 times
I know part of the reason we are so fat as a nation. I got a shake today off the kid's menu and it was as big as my head. I went online to see the calories in it and it was almost 500. I can't imagine what an adult size - small, med, large - would be.

Portions are out of control and quite a few of us have been raised to believe the portions we eat now are normal. When we are introduced to the right portions, we feel like we're going to starve to death and shrivel up.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 PM

42 posts, read 76,155 times
The standard American lifestyle is on average

6 AM - wake up, prepare for work
7-8 AM - work
11AM-1PM - lunch, if you're lucky
5-6 PM - arrive home
6-7 PM - dinner

By then, most of us are too tired to go on that 1.5 hour power walk through our perfect, ideal neighborhoods that provide the amazing scenery and motivation to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness