Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please read the post before choosing an option!
Grab a knife & keep squeezin' the cheese - it has to come out eventually! 0 0%
Leave it alone and hope it goes away (or lessens dramaticly as it has in the past, even if it reoccurs later) 3 20.00%
See a doctor - (please recommend smaller clinics that may specialize in this, rather than a huge scary hospistal) 11 73.33%
Click here to yell at me for not having health insurance. 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Considering it's location, it's best if you get it looked at by a doctor. Get the phone book and make phone calls. Explain that you don't have insurance but can pay in cash or are willing to make payments. Are you a college student? Some universities have a student clinic they can visit. There are some walk-in clinics that are staffed by doctors that are much more affordable than a hospital ER. Unless it becomes seriously infected and you're running a high fever, I wouldn't go to an ER. If you can't find a doctor or clinic that can deal with this or won't work with you on a payment you can afford then consider an ER. If you're prone to skin problems from shaving there, stop shaving there. I have the opposite problem on my face. I can grow a great moustache and chin hair but I develop thick scaly scabs on my face under the hair. Happens every time I tried so now I shave my entire face at least once every other day. Decide which is more important to you: clean shave with skin problems or hair but no skin problems.
How much is a GP visit in the states???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
How much is a GP visit in the states???
If you have insurance the Co-pay could be anywhere from $10-$50 with out insurance it could range from $80-$200. I have had one of these Cyst type boils recently, same spot as the OP. I lightly pricked it with a pin and puss came out. It was an in grown hair. It never hurt but I noticed it while showering. I have since left it alone and it's gotten smaller. I have only gotten this one other time on my inner thigh but that one hurt like hell. My husband gets them from time to time on his belly. He had one about 2 months ago about the size of a nickle. He said it was too painful to try and squeeze it so we used Ichthamol and a bandaid. It came to a slight head the next day and he let me squeeze it lightly. A little blood and puss came out. We cleaned it with peroxide and kept putting on the Ichthamol every day until it finally broke completely on it's own. It left a small scar. But I suggest instead of picking at them try the Ichthamol, and if it comes to a head then try and squeeze it, if not see a dermatologist.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
If you have insurance the Co-pay could be anywhere from $10-$50 with out insurance it could range from $80-$200. .
Wow....! I wouldn't remove anything myself... If its not hurting, put some cash aside and go to a proper dr. Unfortunate that you would have to wait though.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,320 times
This seems to be an old thread, but here's my input.

Not sure what one of those cysts look like, but I had something that resembled a freckle appear on the side of my face a while back, and grew larger as time went on.

Eventually I decided to cut a little deeper whilst shaving and ripped the top off of it. Then I squeezed blood and other stuff out, then a small clear like sac popped out. I don't think I squeezed enough at the time cos that 'freckle' is still there, but doesn't appear to be growing anymore.

I'm watching it each time I shave and when, or if, it decides to grow again I shall repeat the aforesaid exercise and squeeze a little harder and see if I can get it to go away completely.

I've been doing the same with a mole under my jaw line for many years, when it gets big enough to annoy me whilst shaving. I know I'll never be able to completely remove it, but I can reduce the size by squeezing some blood out anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 24,865 times
I have one on my neck right around the jugular vein. Needless to say I definitely wimped out on self extraction. I've had it for a little over a year now too and it's only just recently begun to feel sore. The clinic here has a 3 to 6 week waiting period so I'm thinking of hitting up urgent care. How much does that run approximately?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercomestheday View Post
I have one on my neck right around the jugular vein. Needless to say I definitely wimped out on self extraction. I've had it for a little over a year now too and it's only just recently begun to feel sore. The clinic here has a 3 to 6 week waiting period so I'm thinking of hitting up urgent care. How much does that run approximately?
Depends on where you live. If you have health insurance your co-pay could be anywhere from $20-$50 urgent care places by me cost me a co-pay of $30.00. I would call the urgent care place to see how much it will cost before going there. Most take credit cards too.I'll assume you do not have health insurance.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 24,363 times
I have had a few sebaceous cysts over the years. In the groin area, armpit, side of the breast and one on my middle back that I am currently draining. Usually starts like a blackhead that you can't pop. Over the course of a few years it may slowly get bigger. The 1st one was diagnosed and surgically removed from my back which left a scar. The four I've had since I have been able to drain myself. It can take a couple of weeks, but I use nothing more than hot washclothes after my shower, apply for a few minutes, then gently squeeze but don't damage the skin. If nothing comes out, try again the next day. Sometimes only a little pus comes out. Either use the hot compress again or try again the next day. Never force anything to come out. Eventually the pore will open wide. In a few days the area gets red, tender and raised looking like a volcano about to blow which it finally does. I was able to drain a lot of yellow sticky pus over the course of a few days. After a session I always put a little neosporin on the area. One time I did see the cyst lining coming out of the pore as well. I have never cut or stuck needles or put black junk on a cyst. Just hot compresses. If this doesn't work then I might see a doctor. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 23,210 times
There is a new CO2 laser treatment but it will cost money. There is also a steroid treatment but also expensive. Moderator cut: wrong forum However, if you go to Mexico or Canada you might be able to work something out under their healthcare programs if you just can't wait. Whatever you do DO NOT poke around with it! You could give yourself severe sepsis. Here is a video of a clinical removal:
Sebaceous Cyst Surgery / Excision Steps - YouTube

Here's NOT what to do:
Self Sebaceous Cyst Removal Through Minimal Excersion Technique - YouTube

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-15-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Have you looked on YouTube? If you haven't you will not believe the things you will see. There are people that have baseball size cysts. You will see what they do, which is basically cut it open with a razor/exacto knife and push and push until it all come out. You should have someone that is helping you and actually doing it for you. Make sure everything you use is sterilized and cover it once you are done.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 23,123 times
I Have one in the same spot... I can squeeze mine and drain it, but it will not go away.. The thought of not squeezing it daily, knowing that all that gross stuff is there really grosses me out.. I've had it for at the least 2 months. So if your cyst went away, or you had it removed please let me know! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness