U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM

449 posts, read 1,078,446 times

Advertisements

I often get waves of nausea and light headedness at work. I hate it-they don't usually last long and sometimes I feel like I need to sit down or "steady" myself. I also usually have something for breakfast, so it's not hunger related. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 10:03 AM

7,889 posts, read 11,368,235 times
I had the same thing for a while...Are you getting enough protien??? I had been on a vegetarian diet, NO MEAT, but once I went back to eating meat, the symptoms went away...As well, stress/anxiety can bring about the same symptoms...Hope you are able to get to the bottom of whatever it is that is going on with how you are feeling..

Take gentle care!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:55 PM

6,045 posts, read 22,815,732 times
I get that way when I am under a lot of stress. Talk to your doctor - it could be many things. Could be something minor and easily controlled.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 PM

June 7th & Christina thank you both for responding. It may be stress My son and I moved less than a yr ago and he has been having issues with school, and I have been very frustrated with his teachers and the admin.
Protein??hmmm. Well I have been eating a lot of protein lately, and it does seem like it's been happening less. It's usually a daily occurence, and always shortly after I get to work(within 2 hrs of waking up).I guess maybe I need to find a local doctor, haven't been to a doctor in yrs. My brother 39 had a heart attack last year, which is scary, don't think this could be "heart" related.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,669,316 times
Hi JBG -

Good advice here. You seem to intuit your own answer of stress being the determining factor, which is usually the best indicator of source. Additionally, pardon the frankness, but constipation, caffeine/sugar intake & dehydration can cause nausea/dizziness/lightheadedness/headache, too.

Sorry to hear of your brother. Don't stress too much about hereditary illness in relation to your symptoms, but if you're worried enough to post about it, a dr's visit wouldn't hurt, particularly if you're insured.

Oftentimes, when we're in stressful periods, we fallback on certain behaviour, sleeping patterns & diet or forgo exercise, etc. For me, I'm a non-eater during stress, which can cause headache & short spells where everything shakes up & down & my ears ring, causing me to have to grab onto something to steady myself. When others are stressed, they may eat too many sweets, junkfood, take-out or just too much food, in general, causing various symptoms.

I hope you feel better, your son's school situation is easily resolved & you find an quick, easy resolution to your nausea/lightheadedness.

Good luck... VV

Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 PM

206 posts, read 900,336 times
It may also be related to your blood sugar levels. I'd have the doc run some blood tests on you to also check your hormone levels. I hope you get some relief soon.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:30 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,599,340 times
I get "morning sickness", and no, I'm not pregnant! I have a script for phenergan, a nausea medication, that I take as needed. My doc wants to do a GI scope, to see if I have ulcers, but I haven't done it yet. I guess ulcers can cause nausea, something I was unaware of. I mostly attribute mine to hormonal fluctuations. Hopefully you'll find nothing to worry about, but it's a good idea to talk to a doc if you can.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 AM

607 posts, read 3,428,804 times
This sounds to me like an environmental problem. Does the problem occur on weekends when you are not at work?
New paint, office furniture or carpet contain chemicals that will cause the symptoms you mentioned as will emissions from computers and other electronics.
You may be one of the millions of people that have these reactions. I suggest that you make sure there is good ventilation around your work area and get fresh air as often as possible.
What kind of environment do you work in? This might help us find the answer.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM

2,959 posts, read 12,735,167 times
OMG - I have this, too. Fortunately it subsided over the years, but for about 5 years I used to get waves of nausea to the point of nearly passing out. I was told it was vasal vagel - whatever - and it would occur in the most oddest ways.

I thought I was going loony bins. I would go into a beautiful, albeit dark restaurant, and within moments, I would have an episode. I did all sorts of deep breathing exercises, went to a cardiologist, had a pet scan, etc. Nothing. Had an endoscopy which revealed GERD.

I make certain I have breakfast every day which has helped, but every so often, I still get these bouts of nausea, but not as bad as I used to. Many have said it might be stress related, but stress was not a factor in my case.

BTW - have you been on any type of diet pills?

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hi JBG -

Good advice here. You seem to intuit your own answer of stress being the determining factor, which is usually the best indicator of source. Additionally, pardon the frankness, but constipation, caffeine/sugar intake & dehydration can cause nausea/dizziness/lightheadedness/headache, too.

Sorry to hear of your brother. Don't stress too much about hereditary illness in relation to your symptoms, but if you're worried enough to post about it, a dr's visit wouldn't hurt, particularly if you're insured.

Oftentimes, when we're in stressful periods, we fallback on certain behaviour, sleeping patterns & diet or forgo exercise, etc. For me, I'm a non-eater during stress, which can cause headache & short spells where everything shakes up & down & my ears ring, causing me to have to grab onto something to steady myself. When others are stressed, they may eat too many sweets, junkfood, take-out or just too much food, in general, causing various symptoms.

I hope you feel better, your son's school situation is easily resolved & you find an quick, easy resolution to your nausea/lightheadedness.

Good luck... VV
I wish I was a non-eater during stress! I love chocolate and sweets, that's my weekness. Yes I'm insured so I guess I should just find a good local doctor(anyone other than my brother's)I just don't know the area that well yet, so I'll ask around. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness