U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM

380 posts, read 1,161,719 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Vitamin water is really good for you? I know the powerade and gatorade is loaded with high fructore corn syrup. but what about the V-Water? is it any diffrent?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:28 PM

427 posts, read 499,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Does anyone know if Vitamin water is really good for you? I know the powerade and gatorade is loaded with high fructore corn syrup. but what about the V-Water? is it any diffrent?
Well, are you talking about the brand that says "vitamin water" on all their bottles? Check the ingredients. Is one of them "crystalline Fructose"? That's the same as high-fructose corn syrup. You really don't want to put any of that stuff in your body!!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:10 AM

4,502 posts, read 12,708,005 times
Why not just take the vitamins you need? Why "vitamin" water?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,772,390 times
It is a very expensive way to "take" vitamins and I would wonder about their stability dissolved in water for however long the shelf life is - - - no, I would just take real vitamins and drink filtered water [but don't buy it - get a Brita or something similar and don't re-use the plastic bottles - look for bottles that are BPA free or use stainless]

Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,073,802 times
Since you're young and you need to eat better (from what you've said on your other posts), i'd suggest focusing on eating good, whole foods and saving your money.
If you're eating junk and if you're overweight and at risk for the various issues that may arise as a result, taking vitamins is not a solution and won't mitigate your health issues and i wouldn't bother with those vitamin drinks ... they're costly and they're just adding to the glut of plastic bottles.
Eat well, get at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise a day (just get out there and take a brisk walk ... don't kill yourself), lose the extra weight and then consider taking a good supplement if you feel the need.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:15 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,772,390 times
I am terribly skeptical of a product recommendation from a first time poster.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,073,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am terribly skeptical of a product recommendation from a first time poster.
Yep.
Spam.
Should be removed imo.
And i went to that site ... not worth it ... don't bother.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 AM

9,016 posts, read 10,871,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yep.
Spam.
Should be removed imo.
And i went to that site ... not worth it ... don't bother.
Agreed. These one-post-wonders like to pop up on the health forum sections and push their new-fangled snake oils.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,725,960 times
No it's not really good for you. Drink water with a twist of lemon or lime instead.
Coca-Cola Sued for Marketing Vitaminwater as Healthy
Quote:
Well, in reality a bottle of Vitaminwater contains 33 grams of sugar, including crystalline fructose. Crystalline fructose is produced by allowing the fructose to crystallize from a fructose-enriched corn syrup.

While many people mistakenly believe that fructose is an acceptable form of sweetener, it is far from healthy. Refined man-made fructose metabolizes to triglycerides and adipose tissue, not blood glucose. The downside of this is that fructose does not stimulate your insulin secretion, nor enhance leptin production. (Leptin is a hormone involved in appetite regulation.)

Because insulin and leptin act as key signals in regulating how much food you eat, as well as your body weight, this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased food intake and weight gain.

Additionally, fructose is also known to significantly raise your triglycerides, which puts you at an increased risk of heart disease.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 PM

9,016 posts, read 10,871,718 times
Ouch. Isn't that about 8 teaspoons of sugar?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness