U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 PM

2,619 posts, read 5,380,905 times

Advertisements

OK y'all so this is really embarrassing for me to put this on here but my vagina has been itching me for the past 2-3 days, I checked down there w/ a hand mirror & there's all this clumpy yellow-whitish discharge. I'm nearly 22 & I've never experienced this before. I'm currently not sexually active & I've been PMSing for the past 2 weeks.

I went to the CVS pharmacy this morning & the pharmacist recommended Monistat 3 Day Treatment, I haven't used it this morning. I called my mom to see what was going on & she said that it's normal & it happens sometimes & not to worry about it, if it gets worse try & see the Dr. or go to the pharmacy for some temporary relief.

I guess the questions I have are:
1. Is this an actual yeast infection?
2. Is this going to affect my period? I'm supposed to be getting it sometime this week.
3. Should I just use the Monistat I purchased or go to see the Dr.?
4. One of my girlfriends said that yogurt cures yeast infections, is that true?

Please help...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 03:15 PM

2,619 posts, read 5,380,905 times
Can anybody help???

Old 05-02-2010, 04:00 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,892,148 times
I have a tried and true natural remedy for a vaginal yeast infection if this is indeed what it is.
The intense itchy-ness suggests that it is a vaginal yeast infection.
It is a totally safe, effective and relatively inexpensive treatment.
First of all, a yeast infection is nothing to be embarrassed about ... it happens to most of us and it's a drag.
It will not adversely affect your menstruation.
If you live near a health food store go there and get a bottle of pro-biotics in capsule form.
This is the brand i use and highly recommend.
Amazon.com: Jarro-Dophilus plus FOS: Health & Personal Care
Use 2-3 as a vaginal suppository ... insert them into your vagina before bedtime.
If you want to prevent any leakage you can use a tampon.
Do this during the day as well and then you'll want to use a tampon for sure.
Do this until the yeast infection has passed and you can use this method even during your period.

Friendly bacterial (pro-biotics) are the good naturally occurring bacteria that will "fight off" the over growth of candida / yeast.
One of those strains (acidophilus) of friendly bacteria is found in yogurt ... which is why your friend recommended it.
The pro-biotic has 5 more essential strains of friendly bacteria.

And cut out all sugar until this passes (or forever is even better).

Last edited by coyoteskye; 05-02-2010 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,592,333 times
Post Q&a

:dubi ous:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post

I guess the questions I have are:
1. Is this an actual yeast infection? Probably...
2. Is this going to affect my period? I'm supposed to be getting it sometime this week. No reason for that to happen, but if you are going to treat it with Monistat, I think it would work better before your period.
3. Should I just use the Monistat I purchased or go to see the Dr.? It certainly won't hurt to try Monistat to see if it would work. There is actually an oral medication that your doctor could prescribe if you get your period before you treat the yeast infection.
4. One of my girlfriends said that yogurt cures yeast infections, is that true?
I think that probably is true, but eating it on a regular basis will only help keep your ph in balance, or something like that.

There is no reason to wait before trying any of these ideas. I've never tried any home remedies, so can't comment on that. FYI: I think yeast infections occur because your ph gets out of balance, and can be caused by hormones. No need to fret about it; you are just making yourself miserable.

My message must be too short. Here are some more characters::confused ::confused : Dang, this won't submit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please help...

Old 05-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
:dubi ous:

What are you dubious about?!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:39 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,741,973 times
Coyoteskye is correct. Probiotic bacteria found in yogurt and sold in health food stores will do two things: turn the vaginal environment acidic (which will help kill off the yeast) and allow the probiotic bacteria to multiply in the vagina and crowd out the yeast. There is another remedy that can be purchased in pharmacies--an acid gel called "Aci-Gel"--and it will also lower the pH of the vagina which will create an unfavorable environment for yeast. The old standby of the vinegar douche that our mothers once used is based on the idea of making the vagina more acidic and thus unfriendly to yeast growth.

Many people do not realize that yeast can grow outside the vagina in the folds of skin--groin, under breasts and abdominal folds, etc. Topical yeast infections can be treated easily by smearing a little Monistat on the area a couple of times daily until it clears. Topical yeast infections are sometimes associated with diaper rash, too.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,480,876 times
Go with the Monistat.
If that doesn't work, see your ob/gyn and he or she will give you a pill. But the Monistat is the easiest and cheapest thing to do.
I have heard that yogurt can help prevent yeast infections, but I wouldn't count on it to clear one up as quickly as the Monistat will.
I am 99% sure it is fine to use Monistat while menstruating; it should say for sure on the package insert.
Best of luck.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:09 PM

5,013 posts, read 8,201,327 times
This might be of some help as well:

Connection Between Diet And Yeast Infections (http://www.yeastinfectioncenter.com/connection-between-diet-and-yeast-infections/ - broken link)

Old 05-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Go with the Monistat.
If that doesn't work, see your ob/gyn and he or she will give you a pill. But the Monistat is the easiest and cheapest thing to do.
I have heard that yogurt can help prevent yeast infections, but I wouldn't count on it to clear one up as quickly as the Monistat will.
I am 99% sure it is fine to use Monistat while menstruating; it should say for sure on the package insert.
Best of luck.
The pro-biotic capsules used as a suppository is much more than just yogurt and this natural and harmless remedy is highly effective ... at least for me.
They are live microbial organisms that are naturally present in the digestive tract and in small amounts in the vagina and will keep the yeast (candida albicans) "in check" by suppressing their overgrowth (ie; a yeast infection).

I'd say, start with pro-biotic as a suppository (and orally as well which i forgot to mention).
Why use a harsh chemical and/or run to the m.d. when you can effectively treat a condition naturally and inexpensively?
Using an effective natural treatment is empowering and takes the "cure" out of the hands of the pharmaceutical companies and medical establishment and, if a natural treatment works, why would anyone not want to take that route?
And btw, many women find Monistat problematic ... with increased itching, burning.
The pro-biotic has no such side effects.
And for an extra soothing / cooling treatment when the discomfort is extreme, inserting a tampon "soaked" in yogurt can be very effective as an adjunct to using the pro-biotic capsules as a suppository.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:42 PM

14,413 posts, read 28,048,129 times
Monistat works well, use it and it should clear up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness