Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,611,535 times

Advertisements

Many doctors themselves claim that "overmedication" is a huge problem in the US, and given the much higher rates of prescription drug consumption in the US compared to other developed countries, this does seem like a possibility.

However, many patients either demand specific drugs from their doctors, even when those drugs would be inappropriate (the "I saw it on TV!" effect), or simply go along with whatever the doctor prescribes, regardless of potential side effects or warnings about limited benefits.

But - have you ever gone the other direction, and declined to take a drug that was recommended or prescribed to you by a doctor?

What motivated you to do this, and do you think it benefited you, overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 PM

6,894 posts, read 22,469,126 times
yes with money as the motivation. Does it benefit me; probably not.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,879,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Many doctors themselves claim that "overmedication" is a huge problem in the US, and given the much higher rates of prescription drug consumption in the US compared to other developed countries, this does seem like a possibility.

However, many patients either demand specific drugs from their doctors, even when those drugs would be inappropriate (the "I saw it on TV!" effect), or simply go along with whatever the doctor prescribes, regardless of potential side effects or warnings about limited benefits.

But - have you ever gone the other direction, and declined to take a drug that was recommended or prescribed to you by a doctor?

My main issue is high blood pressure and I monitor that myself regularly so I can see if the drugs are working or not. In one case I queried one drug, not because it was not working but because of a side effect and that led to us going with another one. I am fortunate in that I have the kind of relationship with my doctor where we can have a sensible and informed discussion.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 PM

427 posts, read 548,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

Well, I hav'nt, but my wife has. Actually, she was prescribed this drug, took it one time, then stopped. She goes back to him a while later, he wants to know how the new med is working. She tells him she stopped taking it. He's upset, wants to know why. She tells him she felt like she was going to have a heart attack after she took it. "Well, how do you know?" So she goes into more details of how it made her feel. He gets mad, is practically arguing with her, doesn't want her to stop taking it, she says she won't take it. Finally he prescribes something else. And the drug in question was eventually taken off the market because of the tremendous harm and deaths it had caused. Doctors can be great, but they're not Gods. Sometimes when your body is trying to talk to you, it's best you listen!!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:00 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,738,875 times
Yes. One time I was having some issues and I went to the doctor. After 3 visits I had 3 different drugs prescribed to me. I never went back to him.
If a doctor can not understand that I am very careful about the meds I put into my body then he/she is not the right doctor for me.
Also after both of my c/sections and oral surgery I left the doctor with prescription for pain killers. Both times I tried over the counter pain killers first and they were sufficient for me.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,039,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My main issue is high blood pressure and I monitor that myself regularly so I can see if the drugs are working or not. In one case I queried one drug, not because it was not working but because of a side effect and that led to us going with another one. I am fortunate in that I have the kind of relationship with my doctor where we can have a sensible and informed discussion.

Do you mind telling me what side effect you were having and what meds he used and changed to?

I started high blood pressure meds three months ago and they are causing me to cough a lot.

busta

Old 05-02-2010, 07:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,693,646 times
I went to a doctor because I was stressed out, unemployed, undermotivated, understimulated, and this was causing me major anxiety. So instead of prescribing me a month's worth of Xanax or Valium (which was what I had been expecting and assumed I needed), they prescribed me some kind of long-term anti-anxiety antidepression stuff for bi-polar disorder that I would need to take every day, along with weekly therapy and reading a book about clinical depression and anxiety disorder.

I thought it was the biggest crock of crap I'd ever experienced. I got through the anxiety, got a job, and got over it all by myself. I still have moments of stress but I chalk it up to that fatal disease known as "being human."

Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,195,108 times
Yes. i've even told my doctor the test he/she wants to do will not benefit me. (my doc wanted to do an expensive blood test to see if i could have a brain tumor and after I asked what my chances were in having a brain tumor I declined the test and told him we should try x route before we go down the brain tumor route. he went with my wishes).

But I am also one that goes to my doctor with SPECIFICS!.. After suffereing for weeks I kept a journal of what was happening, treatments at home, meds taken... I even printed out anatomy pictures and went to my doctor with the journal - the anatamy pictures with where my pain was coming from...i go in with VERY detailed information so I have NO problems declining drugs and or treatment from my doctors and they are very responsive to my concerns and ideas.

I did have a friend that went to see a doctor for arthritis - no journal, just the 'I'm in pain" and the Dr prescribed her anti-depressants.. Well she refused to take them and the Dr then refused to be her doctor.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,879,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Do you mind telling me what side effect you were having and what meds he used and changed to?

I started high blood pressure meds three months ago and they are causing me to cough a lot.

busta
He had me on an alpha blocker overnight. The side effect was having difficulty urinating if I had to get up in the night (nope, it isn't prostate as we checked that).

My experience with blood pressure meds is that you need to experiment with the "cocktail" until you get the right balance for you. As we were working on the problem, I bought myself a "cuff" at Walgreens and checked my blood pressure just about every couple of hours recording the results on a spreadsheet. That way, I was able to go back to the doctor with the results and we were able to adjust meds and dosage accordingly.

I found that my doctor appreciated the fact I was willing to work with him to get things right.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:41 PM

177 posts, read 470,368 times
all the time. i disagree with my doc all the time so i just dont take the meds. not until im in too much pain i cant bear it any longer. then i give in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness