Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,319 times

Advertisements

From someone who DIDN'T start as a teenager.
Cigarette time is MY time.
Being a mother of a 4 year old & wife to busy husband, both which I adore, but sometimes after cooking dinner, or before bed, that time to relax is timeless.
I know, I could sit outside & chew a piece of gum.
But the naughtiness of smoking adds to the relaxation of a long day at work & with family.
No one can take that moment away from me, it's mine. And I choose to enjoy it with a cigarette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
I have never actually smoked in my life.
But, I have considered it because I know this may seem weird, but I love the smell of cigarette smoke on a person.
I don't know if it's because my dad use to smoke when I was younger.
please do not start because you may not be able to quit!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,295 times
don't worry, nicolepsy, I learned my lesson on watching my dad age horribly because of smoking for over 30 years and find it simply unattractive. I don't plan on smoking anymore

Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,600 times
There were many smokers in my family--my grandparents,aunts,uncles,cousins. Many of them died at young ages and from lung cancer. Although I confess I tried smoking as a teen (stupid of me) I never could stand the smell,and I have allergies so I never became a smoker. In my grandparents day,it was true that people did not realize the harm smoking could cause.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Another better question would be why do people overeat??
It's an addiction;

In response to the OP's DM
I'm sorry if you take a poll. You will find out food and anything else can be an addiction... ( You're not serious are you) ..
What about binge eating?? No addiction? or borderline?LOL
Eating chocolate?? Can be addicting right??
I may be wrong but, I was addicted to eating, so IMO It;s better than smoking
that's 4'Sure
Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
I'm not a very heath conscious person but when I first started smoking tobacco products at 14 years of age we all joked in the school yard calling them "cancer sticks" My stepfather even cut his smoking in half after he lost one of his lungs and part of the other to emphysema. (yes he died from it) After about 5 years of reeking coughing and stinking I quit cold turkey ! My wife of ten years has recently quit cold turkey just like I did. Here is how to do it:

It is easy if you really want to quit. Meaning your not quiting because your pressured or frightened into not smoking, Wanting to quit means you are just plain sick-up and fed with it !

It's really easy if you really want to quit, and if you know how. Knowing how is the easy part,

Just don't do it any more ! ( Also get yourself a do it your self moccasin beading kit and don't stop until its finished, should take about three days. Give up going to bars and change out all of your friends who smoke for friends who don't smoke and don't watch anybody smoking out in public. Don't watch any TV shows or movies where people are smoking, and lastly make sure you never get drunk or you will bum one and light it up for sure ! )

Old 11-23-2007, 09:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
it all has been condensed in a country western song
if you would permit its short only a portion

hank williams

hank, why do you drink
why do you smoke
why do you live out the words to those songs that you wrote
i want you to know i appreciate your kind consideration
but i really must tell you its a family tradition

Old 11-23-2007, 09:22 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,155 times
I started smoking at 15 with my mother's permission. She was a pushover. Started because my brother taught me how and he was so cool.

Now I'm 45 yrs. old and just quit 3 days ago. I think we continue because we think it's easier to smoke, than not to smoke. For those who don't want to quit, I wonder if they would want to if they didn't feel any pain to do so. Like if it was just another day? I would.

It's been easier not to smoke than it is to smoke so far. Every cigarette reminds me of my mother and her terrible health, my father and his health, my 20 year old daughter started smoking and it pains me, my son asking me to quit, my dentist on my case and I have another appt in 2 weeks, my health is feeling it. So every cigarette I tell myself, one day, but not today I'm going to quit this.

Not smoking I think how I'm not going to be like my mother. What a horrible thing she's going thru and I have the chance to avoid it myself, how I can face my dentist now, how my breath is fresh and I don't have to try to hide the smell from my Sig. ot. and my son has not been exposed to cig. smoke. My house is fresh and so are my clothes. Now I can say it's not tomorrow I'll quit, it's today and it was a good day.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 PM

107 posts, read 226,397 times
Congrats KeeperK. Good for you!

I smoke. I "snuck" my first drag in 1978 at the ripe ole age of 8 because my 18 year old sister WAS SO COOL and left a burning butt in the ashtray. Although my parents would have tanned my hide for slamming a door, they merely laughed off the "stolen moment". Fast forward - I bought my first pack at 13. I was allowed to smoke in the house at 15 although neither of my parents smoked. Today I am 37. I have "paused" but never truly quit. I am well aware of the consequences. After massive chest pains I had to have a stent at age 33. I have had my entire upper portion of teeth replaced by crowns. I can't exercise. My husband DIED of cancer (not related to smoking)
I've tried the patch, the pills and hypnosis.

The original question was Why? I think there are hundreds of answers for every smoker out there. Have you ever loved someone who hurt you? Loved someone who did something really bad but you loved them anyway? Smoking is like being in an abusive relationship. You need/want/love something that hurts you. It's not a choice. It is an addiction UNLIKE any other. Maybe one day I'll beat it.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Why do people smoke? Stupidity.

Sorry, but especially since the warnings came out, on the very pack of cancer sticks one buys, you have to be crazy to continue.

Smoking is not good; it is not cool. I have read the posts about not being able to quit. There is a difference between not being able to do something, and not WANTING to do something.

It is tough; but it can be done, if the person truly desires it to be so.
Why do some people drink? Why do some people ride motorcycles with no helmets? Why do some people eat too much? I saw a guy today who could barely walk because he was so big and his thighs rubbed together like two giant stone pillars. Why do people have sex with people they don't know? Why do some people spend 20 hours a day on the Internet?

Why? Why? Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness