Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,152 times

Advertisements

I've always had the side theory that smokers have an oral fixation hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,041 times
I started smoking as a teen to appear edgy and cool. Years later I was still smoking because like most smokers I had a chemical addiction. Damn those teen years! I have quit off and on, but for me the urge is never gone.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,681 times
I smoked for 33 years. When I quit on January 1, 2006, I was up to three packs of Kools a day. Sometimes four packs. I'd tried the patch and pills, fake cigarettes and self hypnosis.

This last time, I had two good reasons to quit. First, my son is a recovering addict and I've encouraged him to stay clean. I felt like a hypocrite, though, expecting him to beat his addiction but doing nothing about my own.

Also, my youngest son has asthma. I was spending more and more of my time locked up in my room so I could smoke. My youngest son is a great kid and I love being around him, but I was choosing my cigarettes over this terrific child. I was ashamed of myself.

I got through the first few months surprisingly easy. I think part of the reason was because I had reasons to quit that really mattered to me. (Let's face it, knowing smoking damages our health never really mattered.) Also, I took a page out of my son's 12 step program and turned to my higher power. (For me, that meant praying to the Holy Spirit to ease my cravings and calm my nerves.)

Addiction of any kind is really tough. It's the hardest thing I've done. I'm glad I quit, even if I did put on weight. Breaking free of the fear of having to live without my "best friend" feels so good! And for the non-smokers out there, cigarettes do become your best friend. Everything you do, everywhere you go, you have that friend with you. You even leave early from places or events where your "best friend" isn't welcome. If you've never been through it, you probably won't understand.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:01 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
I've heard from several people and even seen somewhere where they did a study and found that alot of people who quit off and on go about 3 months, why is this?
I quit a few times and each time it was about 3 months, its just crazy.

I've gone about a month now without a cigarette and I have no craving what so ever for one and I quit drinking last year so now I have no more cravings at all, I cant believe how easy it has been for me, one day my allergies were bad and my nose was all plugged up and I didnt feel like a cigarette so I just decided that that was it,no more cigarettes from here on out and since I've been through this before I know not to even take a puff of a cigarette cause thats how it all starts again, its a mind game and Im gonna beat it, now Im just gonna get in shape and exercise, I hope anyone that wants to quit does, you will feel alot better about yourselfs.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
#1 I don't believe the studies that say that smoking is bad for you...or others. These studies are done by businesses that PROFIT if the findings indicate that smoking is bad.

#2 As I recall, the reason I STARTED smoking is because someone asked me NOT to. And that's a good enough reason for me!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,423 times
Well, I started back in January. The Chantix started making me sick and I had those crazy dreams too. I got really stressed out and went and bought a pack. I wish to God I'd never started but it's too late for that. My 8 yr old is really on my case about it so I went and bought some of the cinnamon nicotine gum. I'm going to start it this weekend. Someone mentioned those ads on tv....those are what really got my kid on my case. But I'm glad he is b/c it is definitely a good motivation. He told me I'm the best mom in the whole world and he just doesn't want to grow up without me. I'm going to keep thinking about that and really do it this time. Good luck to all who are trying to quit and Congratulations to all those who have successfully quit! And GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES to everyone who is on our case and being ugly!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
#1 I don't believe the studies that say that smoking is bad for you...or others. These studies are done by businesses that PROFIT if the findings indicate that smoking is bad.

#2 As I recall, the reason I STARTED smoking is because someone asked me NOT to. And that's a good enough reason for me!
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Please tell me this is sarcasm.
Which one?

Why should I do something because someone wants me to do it? I do what *I* want. I'm an independent sort that way.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 PM

161 posts, read 384,309 times
A majority of people start smoking during their adolescences and from there become addictive. It's looked at as "cool" to smoke or it goes against what everyone tells you, so you choose to go the opposite way. Many teens who suffer from anxiety disorders, drug/alcohol disorders and COD smoke, they use it as a way to cope, especially when they can't find sources elsewhere. Some people are incapable of listening to what others tell you (like me ) and make choices based on what they want. The amount of articles telling you that smoking is bad for you will not deter smokers, having smoking become socially unacceptable however will. Smoking bans in bars has decreased the number of college students who smoke for "social" reasons. You'll never be able to make sense of the reasons why people do things.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,143 times
I was 15 when I started and I was a total closet smoker for a couple of years so I guess I'm in the minority. I never did it to be cool. In fact my friends didn't know I was smoking until I was almost 17, by then I was hooked.

One day, I just looked at my mom's cig's on the table and decided to pick it up and try it out. My mom worked the 3 - 11 p.m. shift my entire life so I had time to "perfect" my craft of stealing her cigs and smoking around the house before she got home from work.

I can't think about it anymore. I'm starting to crave again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness