U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,682,345 times

Advertisements

How do you usually act when you are sick?...Do you get cranky and play "suffering martyr?" Are you a "soldier?"..... Do you keep your pain to yourself? Do you downplay your "suffering" or do you make sure that everyone hears about all of your aches and pains? ....Do you expect a lot of attention from others when you are sick....Or do you "carry on' as normal as if you're not really sick? Just curious....We're all different. Thanks...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:05 PM

I worry about being a burden on other people when I am sick...I don't want my family and friends to worry about me...or have to do "double-duty" because I am sick in bed and can't do my normal chores...It's never been easy for me to be sick. How about you?

Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,101,520 times
I whine and fuss and look for sympathy.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:15 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,269,053 times
I own my own business, there are no sick days. I work through it and get along just fine, but I'm outside in the country. I can "get sick" just about anywhere and anytime. I don't get sick very often, though...knock on wood.

Ya do whatcha gotta do.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Status: "In memory of Sasha and Caesar....loved pekes." (set 8 days ago)

19,755 posts, read 5,370,837 times
Leave me alone, that's my stance when I am sick. Just go away.
My DH though, get me this and that, bring me, do for me....complete opposites.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:53 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,623,965 times
Since I'm the one that is sick I keep it to myself. My wonderful wife of 44 yrs can read me like a book and knows when to help and when to leave me be.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 30,053,549 times
Default I live alone

and generally only get mild flu- like viruses once a year between thanksgiving and new year's that last 12-18 hours then disappear

but i get frightened easily when i feel nauseous, like i wish there was someone with me to do stuff like go down and get my mail when i am not feeling well so it's all not on me

the fright makes the nausea worse, but then it suddenly goes away and since i haven't eaten anything i soon feel great because i'm detoxed

a few years ago i was hospitalized for a few days for an infection. it wasn't too bad just that i had to be hospitalized with an IV but i remember obsessing on getting out, then getting my work paycheck, then calling a cab to cash it so i could pay my rent, then pick up my medications as i was in a lot of pain

it's like i don't feel sorry for myself when ill but rather i worry about whether the illness will morph into something worse and will i go to the hospital and be able to pay my bills, etc etc...

Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM

731 posts, read 1,449,052 times
In my adult life, when I have been sick I was usually alone and had to deal with it. I would have liked to have some empathy, but it was not there. I have dealth with kidney stones, oral surgery and those gawd awful stomach viruses and dog bites just to name a few things and stayed home and somehow managed to get over it by myself. I made my own splint when I tore the muscles on the inside of right hand and it healed perfectly (luckily). I don't go the the doctor very easily. I can stand physical pain better than emotional pain.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,275,954 times
I pretty much have to suck it up and get on with my day. No one else is going to do it for me.

At the end of the day I might whine a little for attention though.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:39 PM

My Mom used to fuss over me when I was sick...I was her only child. My Dad was nice at first but after a few days he would tell me to "make myself well with my mind."...I thought he was a "meanie" when I was younger...but later in life I felt like he did me a "big favor."...Today I "will" myself to get well fast when need be....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness