Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times

Advertisements

I was also called at home, when I was 24, and told that my Pap test revealed I had ovarian cancer. I got off the phone and cried and told my daughter her mom was a goner.

When I had further tests done, before they put me under they asked me which ovary they were going to biopsy and it was the wrong one (they said right and it was really left or vice versa). I had to tell them.

Then after I delivered my last child, many years later, the doctor came in and told me that the scar for the tubal ligation after childbirth is rather large - that they couldn't do a laporoscopy - so I went in for that surgery and came out with no scar, what-so-ever . . . I was never really sure if they had even done the tubal ligation and the doctor never came to see me so I couldn't ask him what was up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I just have never thought of a magic marker as being a medical instrument.
Oh yes, they are most important!

I have woken up "from the table" many times and looked down and saw black marker lines on my tummy, from where they indicated where to cut, and which side, etc... (my last surgery as a matter of fact, my doc drew a smilie face on my tummy, and wrote a lil note, it was sweet and really nice of him!)

Also, with allergic reactions, they use them. You circle the bite/sting, and if it grows outside that boundary, then start to worry!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,634,850 times
My husband went into a walk-in clinic complaining of intense pain in his lower back that left him writhing on the floor, that would come and go on a cycle and had lasted about a week off and on. The doctor gave him a prescription for fiber, said it was constipation. My husband had already tried some laxatives and had passed everything he had to pass, he knew that wasn't it and said so, the doctor ignored him. So we wound up having to go to the emergency room where they immediately (and correctly) diagnosed kidney stones. They said he had classic symptoms and they later confirmed it with some expensive medical scan. What should have been a $200 visit to the walk-in with a pain med prescription turned into a $10K hospital visit. Bet the insurance company just loves that. Fiber for kidney stones.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,845 times
while there are some real shockers in here, you can bet they dont compare with some of the most outlandish things doctors have heard from their patients!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,853,400 times
I was born with essential tremor, which is a mild tremor primarily in my hands. I really don't much notice it- I've lived with it my whole life, and aside from bad handwriting and trouble holding full glasses, it doesn't affect me.

I've had two different doctors ask if I've tried drinking alcohol as a way of calming the tremor. I don't they don't mean hang out at the corner bar all day, but it still struck me as -interesting- medical advice.

I also had a doctor ask me what medication I've tried to calm the tremor. I said I've never taken anything for it, since it doesn't prevent me from doing anything and the medications for it have some pretty bad side effects. He looked at me like I was crazy and then asked if I wanted to consider brain stimulation surgery, where they insert a wire into your brain and deliver low level electric shocks.

For a mild tremor. That causes me no difficulties whatsoever. Which I'd already told him I wasn't interested in fixing. And was not the subject of the appointment.

Yeah. Sign me up, doc.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
One morning I woke up with a strangly numb left arm. I went to the doctor concerned I might be having or about to have a heart attack. After heart attack was ruled out (many tests, many dollars) I was sent to a orthopedist who treated me for nine months for a pinched nerve in my shoulder. As days and then months passed I was getting no relief and in fact began to have pain in my back and shoulder. After months of physical therapy, drugs, doctors visits, injections of pain killers, the ortho finally tells me "there is nothing wrong with you, this pain is all in your head".

I immediately went to my general physician explained the problem and insisted on seeing a neurosurgeon. He managed to get me into see a neuro that same week. It seems instead of a pinched nerve, I had a rather large ruptured cervical disc. I had surgery two week later and haven't had a problem with the pain that was "all in my head" again.
I had a similar experience, after about 3 days of not being able to sleep due to extreme left arm pain intermingled with weakness, numbness, I was curled up in the fetal position in agony. I went to the ER and they did an EKG, nothing abnormal, everything is fine. So I ask for something for the pain and the idiot female DR replies " Look, I don't what your up to, but your certainly not going to find it here and I'm not risking my license for you". Now after seeing a few D.O.'s and having had MRI's that verify I have multilevel disk bulging (cervical and lumbar), neural foraminal stenosis and other problems that require surgery I'm collecting a stack of medical evidence so when I return to MI I can go to the same ER when she's on shift and check in and I'm not even going to give her the respect of handing it to her, I'm going to throw it at her feet and say this is what I was up to and you should have never been granted a medical license in the first place you friggin idiot.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Before I was diagnosed with a hereditary form of periphiral neuropathy...........wow, I was in a lot of pain. And some of the stupid things Gp's would tell me........."your pain, psychogenic". Wow, I never go to General Practitioners anymore, they just do not seem to know what they are doing.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I had a similar experience, after about 3 days of not being able to sleep due to extreme left arm pain intermingled with weakness, numbness, I was curled up in the fetal position in agony. I went to the ER and they did an EKG, nothing abnormal, everything is fine. So I ask for something for the pain and the idiot female DR replies " Look, I don't what your up to, but your certainly not going to find it here and I'm not risking my license for you". Now after seeing a few D.O.'s and having had MRI's that verify I have multilevel disk bulging (cervical and lumbar), neural foraminal stenosis and other problems that require surgery I'm collecting a stack of medical evidence so when I return to MI I can go to the same ER when she's on shift and check in and I'm not even going to give her the respect of handing it to her, I'm going to throw it at her feet and say this is what I was up to and you should have never been granted a medical license in the first place you friggin idiot.

They thought you were after pain pills, especially in the ER.

Several years ago, my dd broke her wrist, we went to the ER. Before going, I gave her some naprosyn. she wasn't in much pain, but her wrtst was at an odd angle and needed setting. they practically pumped pain meds into her, gave her shots, RX for pain med I could fill, etc. Meanwhile, next to us, was a man groaning in pain, said it was his neck, they just gave him a hard time, kept asking why he came there when he lived on the opposite side of town, didn't do anything, no x-ray, etc, they obviously figured he was after something---like pain relief?

They size you up in an ER and go from there.

Oh, if you were in MI, that's half your problem. I am from MI, I have severe RA (rheumatoid arthritis) I found they tend to undertreat up there. When I moved to TX I found more agressive medical care, if you call naprosyn (was RX only then)---to be agressive. In MI, they tend to think everything is in your head all they wanted to do was send me to counseling. For what, to argue with some scantominous counselor I wasn't imagining my pain? I'm glad you're out of MI, stay out, especially if you have any type of medical condition, they still undertreat!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
I had a pilonidal cyst 30 years ago, the doctor said because i had long hair, it got infected.

Um no, i am a hairy man and it was regular body hair that got it infected, not from the hair on my head.

he was a dumb ass

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
They thought you were after pain pills, especially in the ER.

Several years ago, my dd broke her wrist, we went to the ER. Before going, I gave her some naprosyn. she wasn't in much pain, but her wrtst was at an odd angle and needed setting. they practically pumped pain meds into her, gave her shots, RX for pain med I could fill, etc. Meanwhile, next to us, was a man groaning in pain, said it was his neck, they just gave him a hard time, kept asking why he came there when he lived on the opposite side of town, didn't do anything, no x-ray, etc, they obviously figured he was after something---like pain relief?

They size you up in an ER and go from there.

Oh, if you were in MI, that's half your problem. I am from MI, I have severe RA (rheumatoid arthritis) I found they tend to undertreat up there. When I moved to TX I found more agressive medical care, if you call naprosyn (was RX only then)---to be agressive. In MI, they tend to think everything is in your head all they wanted to do was send me to counseling. For what, to argue with some scantominous counselor I wasn't imagining my pain? I'm glad you're out of MI, stay out, especially if you have any type of medical condition, they still undertreat!
I lived right in the heart of Pfizer territory in MI, major plant in Kalamazoo and the you have satellite companies nearby where they develop their drugs and animal test. The doctors in that area seemed hellbent on prescribing Pfizer meds like Lyrica and Skelaxin which did absolutely nothing for my kind of pain and were terribly expensive like $4 a pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness