U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 AM

311 posts, read 1,325,546 times

Advertisements

Ever wonder why your medical insurance premiums are so high or why you had to work all those hours of overtime to pay for that operation? Perhaps this is part of the reason.

Forbes has a list of the best paying and worst paying occupations. Guess who dominates 13 of the top 15 spots? No, not lawyers. They are all related to the medical profession. Surprisingly, anesthesiologists have the highest median income, more than CEO's, lawyers and even surgeons.

Want to make money? Go to med school - MSN Money
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,324,612 times
Wow....should'a could'a!

Med tech fields are also very well paying, and most are 2 year programs. An entry level radiology technologist in a rural hospital in Maine, one without CT or Mammo credentials, can start at about $15/hour--that's right out of school. Pay increases as their experience does, and also as they become skilled in other modalities. Right now there is a shortage of med techs, so in many cases they can shop around for the best pay. There are companies that a tech can work for that allows them to travel to various hospitals, for a set amount of weeks at a time, and these companies typically pay very, very well.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,228,232 times
It's true that healthcare workers with education get paid pretty well-I have been an X-ray tech for 18 years. So why is there a nationwide shortage of nurses and lab techs? Part of the reason we get paid well is because we are daily subjected to communicable diseases-nasty ones like TB (how do they diagnose active TB? Chest x-ray! Then every healthcare worker who had contact with that pt before diagnosis has to be tested) C. Diff, and HIV.Also, we deal with the not-so-nice side of humans. My co-worker last weekend had to change scrubs due to a pt with poor bowel control. But I love my job, and get satisfation knowing I am helping someone get well, even if I sometimes have to cause them pain to do it. I have been cursed at, hit, spit at, had all body fluids on me, been offered candy, money ,kissed, hugged and one elderly man wanted to take me to Italy! I also suffer back pain frequently(how do you get a 400 lb man on an X-ray table?). I plan to do this until I retire or my body gives out, whichever comes first. It's always interesting working with the public.
I believe more of the problem with escalating medical costs has to do with the cost of medical equipment. In order to stay current and competitive, my hospital has spent about 4 million dollars upgrading to digital radiology. We now lease a PET scanner which has to bring in at least $16,000 each day in order to break even. Also, non-payment of bills is putting us further behind every month. As equipment costs go up, charges go up. Insurance companies respond by raising premiums. I personally believe this system is going to collaspe eventually. In my state (MO) approx. 25% are on Medicaid. Another 30% or so will soon be on Medicare. More people are going uninsured because of cost. With over 1/2 the pop. already on a government program of some kind, the rest can't be far behind. Our healthcare system is really messed up.
Sorry to ramble on. Just a subject close to my heart. Personally, I always wondered why I get paid less than an auto-worker? Or a plumber?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,728,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Wow....should'a could'a!

Med tech fields are also very well paying, and most are 2 year programs. An entry level radiology technologist in a rural hospital in Maine, one without CT or Mammo credentials, can start at about $15/hour--that's right out of school. Pay increases as their experience does, and also as they become skilled in other modalities. Right now there is a shortage of med techs, so in many cases they can shop around for the best pay. There are companies that a tech can work for that allows them to travel to various hospitals, for a set amount of weeks at a time, and these companies typically pay very, very well.
Medical technology (MT) is a bachelor's program; medical lab technician (MLT) is associate degree. An entry level rad tech is a generalist - no specialty. To specialize and be a mammo or CT or MRI tech for example, one must FIRST be a registered rad tech. Lots of people return to school for a career change......

Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 PM

402 posts, read 2,130,682 times
Is the anesthesiologist's pay before or after insurance premiums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness