Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What "phony" facts are you rattling on about now...

You are the one that gets "sour" because no one believes your lies about how healthy tobacco is for you...

By the way you are WRONG again.....

"Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States. Each year, an estimated 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking"
CDC - Chronic Disease - Tobacco - At A Glance

The only "junk" science is the crap you believe that somehow exonerates tobacco.

There is absolutely NO doubt, NONE, about the harm tobacco causes.

Take your crusade to twist the facts elsewhere
Sigh! No one home...........

Back on ignore.........

Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Sigh! No one home...........

Back on ignore.........
I'll say no one is home....

Time for you to leave the 1950's.....the world has moved on from its dependence on tobacco....you obviously haven't....

Back to ignoring your gibberish....

Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
tightwad, i know you're not going to like this, but im afraid it is a well established fact that tobacco use is the largest cause of preventable death and disease in the world, and that 50% of smokers will eventually die of diseases directly attributable to their habit.

you don't need to like it, and i'm not telling you to stop smoking (if you do), but that doesn't change the fact that this is truth.
Allow me to correct you about the danger of PURE TOBACCO. Unless a person grows their own tobacco they will never smoke PURE tobacco unless it is in a pipe, as I do, or high quality cigar but never in any cigarette on the market today.

ALL cigarettes are filled with a slurry of non-tobacco chemicals and coloring with the stems and other discarded parts, dirt and paper. The chemicals all are known cancer causing agents by themselves and the paper/discards carry more chemicals from their manufacturing processes.

So it isn't the tobacco that causes cancer it's the chemicals added to a cigarette that is the bad guy here.

Then there is no verifiable proof that every tobacco user will get cancer. In fact only a small percentage of people get cancer from ALL causes not just tobacco. More people die in car wrecks than from smoking.

All that said, what do you want to do? Live forever?????????

Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Allow me to correct you about the danger of PURE TOBACCO. Unless a person grows their own tobacco they will never smoke PURE tobacco unless it is in a pipe, as I do, or high quality cigar but never in any cigarette on the market today.

ALL cigarettes are filled with a slurry of non-tobacco chemicals and coloring with the stems and other discarded parts, dirt and paper. The chemicals all are known cancer causing agents by themselves and the paper/discards carry more chemicals from their manufacturing processes.

So it isn't the tobacco that causes cancer it's the chemicals added to a cigarette that is the bad guy here.

Then there is no verifiable proof that every tobacco user will get cancer. In fact only a small percentage of people get cancer from ALL causes not just tobacco. More people die in car wrecks than from smoking.

All that said, what do you want to do? Live forever?????????
Wrong....

Its ABSOLUTELY the tobacco that causes cancer....."pure" doesn't matter....

Tobacco Smoke Carcinogens and Lung Cancer — J. Natl. Cancer Inst.

SpringerLink - Current Oncology Reports, Volume 2, Number 3

And by the way....

CONCLUSION: Our results suggest that smoking of European cigars, cigarillos, and pipe tobacco might exert a carcinogenic effect on the lung comparable to that of cigarettes.
Cigar and Pipe Smoking and Lung Cancer Risk: a Multicenter Study From Europe — J. Natl. Cancer Inst.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
Quote:
Allow me to correct you about the danger of PURE TOBACCO.
no correction provided, substantiated or accepted.

you have to pick your justification - which is it; smoking pure tobacco doesn't cause cancer, or who cares about risk, since nobody wants to live forever? (in case you didn't realise, this is rhetorical, it just points out the flaw in your justification - you can't have it both ways).

smoking combustible tobacco is a significant health risk. arguing over the relative risks of the different forms is of little value given the risk you are exposed to in ALL cases, relative to the risks of non-smoker.

just because not everyone who smokes will develop cancer doesn't mean that the risk (risk is a matter of probability, not certainty) does not mean that smokers are exposing themselves to a very high risk of developing cancer and a multitude of other diseases compared to a non-smoker.

a very high proportion of people get cancer, depending on which population you look at. with the improvements in prevention of infectious diseases, and continuing improvement in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases, with the consequent increases in live expectancy, beyond a certain age, the majority of people will have cancer of some form or another, whether it is diagnosed or not.

i re-iterate a point i made elsewhere - i'm not suggesting you lose your "right" to smoke, but it does irk me when unsubstantiated arguments are presented which may sway susceptible people into thinking you are right.

after all, what higher price could there be than people's lives?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
^ well said. Bottom line is, breathing in burning combustion/fumes will increase your chance of lung cancer and lung disease. Yes that includes pollution from cars and factories. 200+ years ago lung cancer was extremely rare if not non existant. I wonder why.

So with that understanding, why smoke???? Oh yes that's right. It's a DRUG.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Yes that includes pollution from cars and factories. 200+ years ago lung cancer was extremely rare if not non existant. I wonder why.
Interesting to note that 200 yrs ago tobacco use was growing world wide but that tobacco was pure tobacco not the adulterated trash now used in many tobacco products.

Pipe and quality cigar smokers both enjoy largely pure tobacco yet today so stop lumping them in with the cigarette smokers that are getting cancer from all the damn chemicals.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:10 PM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
if what you were saying was even remotely true, do you not think that the people shouting loudest about it would be the companies who make american spirit cigarettes, and the like, who are pedalling "natural", "pure" tobacco...and yet even they state "no additives in our tobacco does NOT mean a safer cigarette".

how do you reconcile that?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Interesting to note that 200 yrs ago tobacco use was growing world wide but that tobacco was pure tobacco not the adulterated trash now used in many tobacco products.

Pipe and quality cigar smokers both enjoy largely pure tobacco yet today so stop lumping them in with the cigarette smokers that are getting cancer from all the damn chemicals.

See here:

Cigars, Pipes No Safer Than Cigarettes

Cigar smoking: Safer than cigarette smoking? - MayoClinic.com

Cigar Smoking and Cancer - National Cancer Institute :

Are there harmful chemicals in cigar smoke?

Yes. Cigar smoke, like cigarette smoke, contains toxic and cancer-causing chemicals that are harmful to both smokers and nonsmokers. Cigar smoke is possibly more toxic than cigarette smoke (3). Cigar smoke has:
  • A higher level of cancer-causing substances: During the fermentation process for cigar tobacco, high concentrations of cancer-causing nitrosamines are produced. These compounds are released when a cigar is smoked. Nitrosamines are found at higher levels in cigar smoke than in cigarette smoke.

• More tar: For every gram of tobacco smoked, there is more cancer-causing tar in cigars than in cigarettes.

• A higher level of toxins: Cigar wrappers are less porous than cigarette wrappers. The nonporous cigar wrapper makes the burning of cigar tobacco less complete than the burning of cigarette tobacco. As a result, cigar smoke has higher concentrations of toxins than cigarette smoke.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'll say no one is home....

Time for you to leave the 1950's.....the world has moved on from its dependence on tobacco....you obviously haven't....

Back to ignoring your gibberish....
I don't smoke. George Burns did, and he lived to be a hundred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness