Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

My 15 year old son was on a medical leave of absence for the entire school year because of headaches. He's had them since he was in 4th grade. CT scans of his head were done when he was in elementary school, but they found nothing. This year, we thought his headaches were anxiety related and have been treating him accordingly.

Two weeks ago, my son tripped while playing in the woods with his friend. He came home with a concussion, a sprained neck, and a broken nose. When a routine CT scan was done of his head and neck at the emergency room, two masses were unexpectedly discovered growing in his neck. As recommended by the ER doctor, I took my son to his pedatrician for a followup, and more tests are scheduled for this Wednesday.

I'm so thankful that we found this by accident because that means that we've found it sooner than we would have otherwise. I've done a very good job of keeping myself from worrying about this. I just told myself that there's no reason to worry until the doctors give me a reason to worry.

The reason to worry came on Saturday via certified letter from the hospital.

The letter instructed me to call the hospital for information about the test results. The letter stressed the importance of calling the hospital and the importance of following up on this health issue.

When I called the hospital, details of the CT scan results were given to me---including a list of the possible medical problems. None of the possibilities are good.

The ER doctor had simply told me that something abnormal showed up on the CT scan and that I should follow up with the doctor. He was casual about it. That's how I've been able to not overly worry.

But the hospital was not casual whatsoever. The hospital was very direct about the potential graveness of the CT scan results. Clearly, the hospital is merely protecting it's legal liability so nobody can claim they weren't informed.

Regardless, one thing remains clear: I now have reason to worry.

How can a mother look at her beautiful child and not become terrified? How does a mother survive worry like this? I know I have strength. I've kept it together since Saturday. I just act nonchallant about his upcoming tests. But inside I'm petrified!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 11:29 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Having been through countless neurological tests myself I will offer you this piece of advice: Wait until you have a diagnosis, then ask your doctor what he/she plans to do about it.

I am sure that you couldn't possibly have an imagination as active as mine. There is no point in running a bunch of scenarios through your mind & making your self crazy. There is nothing worse than waiting for test results.

Whatever is there is there. Educate yourself about whatever it turns out to be and the different methods of dealing with it. Make informed decisions. If you are not comfortable with what your doctor tells you seek another opinion.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Hopes, I am so sorry to hear you are experiencing this worry about your son.

I am sure you are worried, and that trying to put it out of your mind is difficult, but until you have a proper diagnosis, you will likely imagine all sorts of issues that are unlikely.

I will keep you and your boy in my thoughts.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I'm so sorry, Hopes--but I am glad that the masses were found, and I am sending you and your son all the best possible thoughts and good wishes.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
What did your pediatrician say? As Evey said - wait 'til you have a diagnosis. It sounds as if you did everything you were supposed to do - do not beat yourself up! Will be thinking of y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness