Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,730,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I had no pain whatsoever, no adhesions, etc. Maybe I was just lucky.
It's only been 10 years since your surgery.

The link to the medical website I provieed states that 93% of abdominal surgeries result in adhesions.

Not everyone has complications resulting from their adhesions, but adhesions cause 60%-70% of bowel obstructions.

You won't know if you have adhesions unless a doctor sees them while performing a subsequent surgery, or the adhesions start causing you problems---which can happen at any point in your life.

Although I've known for years that I have adhesions (because a doctor saw them), they didn't start causing me trouble until over 20 years after the surgery.

People can experience complications from adhesions right away or decades later. Only time will tell if you have complications due to adhesions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
But the question is, how often does it cause complications? She really wants her self-esteem back and we both really think she needs this. The skins is too stretched.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,372,280 times
Shadow,

Complication rates are generalities and while important, it is more important on the rates of a specific surgeon and hospital that is utilized. When I had my abdominoplasty (and mastopexy and mammoplasty at the same time!) I researched the devil out of surgeons and hospitals that the surgeons practice in. Once I was confident in the surgeon I wanted to use I made a consult appointment. There I asked my more pointed questions and received the answers I was looking for. As I suspected, surgery was a complete success and I am over the moon with the results. My ob/gyn even asked me who my surgeon was as she wanted to get a consult for herself! Surgery is very serious and should not be undertaken lightly. The physical and emotional improvement that I received from the surgeries were so wonderful that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. As for adhesions, I haven't experienced any. And, if I do, I will take care of that at that time. I did have a seroma after I insisted on having my drains removed too soon. No big deal, just went in and had the fluid drained every week until it was resolved. Best of luck to your friend.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 AM

45 posts, read 103,368 times
Default hi

Thanx for the tip ms. I have more questions regarding surguery if you are free one day...thanx

Old 07-14-2009, 01:07 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,221,684 times
I happen to be involved with many people who have lost very significant amounts of weight .....many of them really need plastics afterward. Most insurance companies will pay for something considered 'reconstructive' but not 'cosmetic', which is your fiance's situation. We have learned that there are finance companies that specialize in medical financing....I believe Chase is one of the main ones - google for more info on that. Doctor's offices often have a finance service that they will recommend.

Another option is going to Mexico (or even India, but Mexico is more a more common choice) to have cosmetic surgeries - there are a number of fine hospitals there that specialize in serving Americans and catering to their expectations....many of the surgeons and staff are US-trained and most speak English....many of the clinics offer 'package deals' that include travel, hotel, surgery, follow-up, etc. The cost is only a fraction of the US costs and I don't know of anyone who has had negative results. Google "medical tourism' and you'll find more information.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 PM

23,818 posts, read 33,320,804 times
I see an old post has been bumped.

I have not had a tummy tuck but have had back surgery where they go through the front & I can tell you that recovery is hell. I can't imagine if I had the whole front of me cut open. What's funny is I had less pain in my spine then I had in my stomach. Those going for reconstructive, depending on how bad you are they may have to move muscles, bladder, intestines to put it back where it belongs.

Everyone also heals differently. Some women have a hard time after a C section, while others have no problems.

Watch a few of the surgery shows. Then decide if you want it done.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,613,474 times
I'm planning my tummy tuck for the March / April timeframe. I have had my consultation, done a LOT of homework, talked to others who have had the surgery and other than this being an issue for me, I'm in good health. I drink very little, do not smoke am active, etc... I do plan on losing more weight before my surgery which is why it's scheduled so far out. For those concerned about risks, you could be the picture of health and still die on the table - each person is different. Some may have horrible pain and a long recovery, some may be running marathons two weeks later (kidding) but the point is, all you can do is to do your homework, get a board certified, well reputed surgeon, see before and afters, etc.
The fact is, this is a huge surgery, they cut you wide open, pull, stretch and put you back together, there is going to be some degree of pain or discomfort but, it's worth it if it means a new figure especially when exercise can't fix everything.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,232,560 times
I'm a physician and a cardiologist. The best advice I can provide you with is to see a physician who is well trained in the area of plastics and reconstructive surgery. There is a difference between a "Cosmetic Surgeon" and a Plastic Surgeon. In the past, the only people to perform these cosmetic surgeries were surgeons who performed a formal and official fellowship in PRS or Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery. It's a very competitive fellowship and only the best surgeons qualified to enter this fellowship. Typically a surgeon would complete his or her residency in general surgery and then go on to enter a 3 year PRS fellowship.

In the 2000's, a trend started to occur. Due to the demand for these procedures, new routes were created to allow general surgeons who couldn't get into a PRS fellowship. The surgeons would do a 1 year cosmetic "fellowship." These are not official fellowships sponsored by the ACGME. Many of these are weekend courses. The doctors then referred to themselves as Cosmetic Surgeons since they were couldn't legally call themselves Plastic Surgeons. Then a new trend started to make these Cosmetic Surgeons sound more official so they created their own academy and you know the rest.

The bottomline, see a physician who has been officially trained in the field of Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery not Cosmetic Surgery. When researching doctors, look at their bio and see where they completed their fellowship. Most of the non-Plastic surgeons will call themselves Cosmetic Surgeons so you will know right then and there that they aren't Plastic Surgeons.

I mention this because a lot of people have gotten less that great results going to these cosmetic surgeons. Some of them are not even general surgeons. Some are ENT's, Oral Surgeons etc. who wished to get into the more lucrative practice of elective surgery but are not as qualified as those who were formally trained in the fellowship of Plastics and Reconunstrive Surgery. The public often assumes Cosmetic Surgeon is the same as Plastic Surgeon and it's not. Plastic surgery is an art and you want to see someone who was talented enough to get into a competitive PRS fellowship. Bottomline: the doctor you see should have "Board Certified in Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery"

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-22-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness