Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

My fiancee had a child a few years ago and even when she loses weight she has excess skin. Doesn't bother me much but she hates it and wants to get rid of it. Have any of you done this? What research should I do before hand? Who should I talk to? How much are we talking? Any help would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:55 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
(transferred from WA forum)

Old 06-17-2007, 12:03 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Exersice before surgery. Tummy tuck can be a very dangerous surgery. Any surgery for that matter, can be dangerous. Plastic surgeon would do that surgery, insurance may not pay if it is not medically necessary. Look into non surgical options first, IMHO

Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
I had a tummy tuck and no it isn't dangerous surgery unless you go to someone who isn't reputable.

Any female who choses this route ought to have their child bearing years behind them or at least know that they plan on having just whatever number they have. You have to do a lot of research before finding the right physician.

In my case, I never had children, but from constant weight loss/gain I had a tummy problem. I had my muscles tightened, belly button repositoned, skin lifted and removed, had 8 pounds of fat removed, and lipo. It is now 10 years later and I still have a flat tummy. It was a relatively painless procedure, requires a girdle type of garment to be worn for some weeks and that's pretty much the extent of it. It cost $6,000. PM me if you would like more info.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:11 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Thanks very much for the info! And as I said she has excess skin that won't tighten up, she has lost a lot of fat though.

Also I've heard a tummy tuck is very safe.

I'm curious how are these things financed? Do the offices have competitive rates or are you responsible for finding it on your own? Thanks very much for the info and I would love to hear some more opinions/facts!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
My understanding is that most will work with you on financing unless you would like to find it on your own. I believe it is a bit high on rates though.

My son just had necessary plastic surgery and insurance paid, but the office was very careful about getting us to pay the $200 copay BEFORE they did the surgery because I think they have had issues with elective surgery patients not paying.

I would phone in and ask.

Dawn

Old 06-21-2007, 12:08 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I will have to research this more. Does anyone have more info? This isn't going to be easy.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I have a friend who has had a tummy tuck, multiple breast implants (don't ask), and a nose job. She said the tummy tuck was the most miserable of the surgeries. She'd never do it again. I'm not telling you this to frighten your fiancee away from the idea. I just thought you should know that it's not an easy surgery.

From what I understand, recovering from a tummy tuck is a much bigger deal than surgeries for a c-section, apendectomy, or ectopic pregnancy. I've had the aforementioned abdominal surgeries and it took four to six weeks to recover from them. A tummy tuck might take longer.

Another thing to consider is the long term risks of adhesions. Any abdominal surgery creates adhesions. Adhesions are scar tissue that form throughout the abdomin connecting organs and intestines to one another and the abdominal wall. Adhesions can cause all sorts of abdominal pain---especially during the menstral cycle. But most importantly is adhesions can cause bowel obstructions that result in emergency surgery. People can also die from adhesions.

Complications from adhesions can occur anytime in life---5, 10 or 20 years (or even more!) after the surgery. Most interesting, adhesions can for anywhere in the abdomin, not just in the area where the surgery is performed.

To learn more about adhesions, check out the following site: Adhesions, General and After Surgery

Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
My tummy tuck was nothing of the sort which just goes to show that we are all different. I had no pain whatsoever, no adhesions, etc. Maybe I was just lucky.

ShadowXOR what part of the country are you in? There are issues that come up if you have health problems, are a smoker, and the like. Ask your doctor for recommendations- consultations are generally free so just start going to as many plastic surgeons until you find the one most qualified. Ask to see samples of their work - all the good ones keep a book of their before and afters. Also speak to patients.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
My tummy tuck was nothing of the sort which just goes to show that we are all different. I had no pain whatsoever, no adhesions, etc. Maybe I was just lucky.

ShadowXOR what part of the country are you in? There are issues that come up if you have health problems, are a smoker, and the like. Ask your doctor for recommendations- consultations are generally free so just start going to as many plastic surgeons until you find the one most qualified. Ask to see samples of their work - all the good ones keep a book of their before and afters. Also speak to patients.
We live in Seattle, WA. My fiancee doesn't smoke, drink, or anything bad basically. She has no health issues that we are currently aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness