Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
They're called floaters and are very common.

See here:
Eye Floaters, Flashes and Seeing Spots in the Eye
Yeah that's what I told my husband when he complained about them. No one can diagnose if they are harmful or not except a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
it is serious if you have flashes of light and a dark curtain affects your eye. Most people get them
and they go away. It is the jell in the eye that does cause them, I had them also. I thought
it was a hair in my eye. You could call your eye doctor or see him to be sure. The brain learns to ignore
them. You also see them more on a white background.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
I have floaters in both eyes that I'm noticing right now as I stare at my PC.

The first one started when I was about 27. I noticed them while I was driving home facing into the setting sun. I went to an ophthalmologist who said while there was nothing wrong with me, there was also nothing he could do to help me. Had my eyes dilated and examined, but nothing turned up. For me, they have never gone away and about a year later, I developed a floater in my other eye. You do learn to live with it.

On a side note, I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor in 2008 which had absolutely nothing to do with my floaters. I was curious to see if they disappeared after my brain surgery but no such luck.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:44 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Mine was repaired with a laser. I would say it more uncomfortable than really painful. It only took a few minutes and considering it saved my vision well worth any pain or discomfort. Any pain ended the second the laser stopped. It might not be anything serious but please do have it checked.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
I had a few of these and was told it can be normal. one day they just kind of disappeared.
Same here.

Quite concerned when it first happened. Noticed a 'fly' that I could never catch with my vision, and some kind of blurred spots when trying to read.

Stayed with me for about six months and then disappeared.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
I wish I was more cognizant of how long I have had them. I know the Dr is going to ask me that tomorrow, the best I can do is stab and say between 4 months and 1 year.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Just got back from eye Dr. Got a clean bill, but still glad I went. Thanks again everyone for your help

Old 06-05-2010, 11:15 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
I'm happy you are OK. Best to check this out. I try to get my eyes checked once a year. Sight is so important!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Orangeish glad you are ok but please visit your eye doc every year. I got floaters also several years back and had it checked out and was told that is normal (i'm older than you). A few years later I started to see wavy things on my peripheal vision and seeing halos when staring at lights.
I was diagnosed with Glaucoma! Imagine my shock since I thought that was an "old" persons disease but here I was with it! I had laser surgery (YAG) and it saved my vision.
Anybody with any type of abnormalities in their vision needs to go see an eye doctor immediately!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Floaters are generally not harmful but if you see flashes of light, that could be a detached retina - or rather, one in the process of detaching. That calls for an immediate call to an opthalmologist! I have had flashes in both eyes but my retinas seem to have detached as a whole, not torn in 2 pieces. So i have never had any treatrment. But I get regular checkups w/an opthalmologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness