Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times

Advertisements

First off, if this topic is addressed in another thread, please link me to it, my search didn't really bring anything up though.

The last year of my life (ish) I have notice small black "floaties" (as the DW calls them)or black dots in my field of vision. Especially when I am looking at a computer screen or exposed to sunlight after being indoors a while. Not looking directly AT the sun of course, just when I go outside. Anyone have any idea what this could be, my google search led to some VERY serious problems, but I don't have any other symptoms of those diagnosies.

Some personal info if it helps, I am 27, do not wear glasses and passed my eye test at the DMV 6 months ago (take that fwiw). As far as I can tell, I still have basically perfect vision as I can read things at far and short distance, have a spotless driving record etc...I do work in front of a computer ALL day (at least 8-10 hours) and am occasionally sleep deprived.

Easy answer is go to an eye doctor, but I was just looking for some general info.

Input/advice/experiences are appreciated. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
I had these years ago and the Dr. found a partially detached retina. Since he repaired it there's been no problem. However if left alone it could have led to blindness in that eye. Go to an eye doctor now!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
My husband had this and had a detached retina as well. You need to get to a eye doctor asap, not to alarm you, but if it is that then it should be taken care of asap.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM

ok, then, alarm bells....haha

Thanks for the response, do you guys know what the procedure entailed? Was it painful? I'm a pretty bid wimp when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 AM

432 posts, read 3,659,021 times
I had a few of these and was told it can be normal. one day they just kind of disappeared.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
ok, then, alarm bells....haha

Thanks for the response, do you guys know what the procedure entailed? Was it painful? I'm a pretty bid wimp when it comes to this kind of stuff.
My husband has actually had this surgery twice, well three times kinda, but the first time was just not really a surgery. They hit it with a laser and tried to fix it, but it didn't work so a week later he had the "real" surgery.

They put him under and I'm not really sure exactly what they did, but he had no pain afterwards and he is a HUGE wimp.

So it was fine for a couple of years and then he banged his head on a beam in the attic hard and it detached again. This time it was worse and he was getting what they call a "curtain" in his field of vision.

He was put under again and they placed some type of silicone band inside his eye to hold the retina in place. This doctor was superior to the first and explained that the first/second surgeries were probably not done thoroughly.

Again no pain...the only thing is that depending where the detachment is you either have to be upright at all imes or laying face down at all times. Including sleeping. They inject a solution into your eye and the bubble needs to stay in a certain place for awhile for it to heal correctly. (like a week iirc).

The first time it was at the top of his eye so he had to be upright at all times, that was pretty easy. He just slept in a chair and stuff.

The second time it was at the bottom and we had to rent this chair thing with a hole cut out for his face and it had a mirror attached so he could watch TV. It also came off the chair and attached to the end of the bed so he could sleep with his head hanging off the bed supported in the face down position.

That was a PITA, but it was over soon enough and his eye has been fine ever since. Oh, except the eye he had his surgery in gets red and irritated when he wears contacts for more than 8 hours so he mostly wears glasses now.

I watched the second doctor take the stitch out of his eye, it was sooo tiny. Again, he felt no pain during that either.

Oh I have his doctors name who did the surgery if you're interested. He's in the CEENTA group. Do you still live in Charlotte?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
I had a few of these and was told it can be normal. one day they just kind of disappeared.
I can be nothing, but it can also be serious. They can tell right away by looking into your eye. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks Soph...we actually moved out of Charlotte in March back to Chicago, im currently looking for a reputable place up here though. Awesome info!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
They're called floaters and are very common.

See here:
Eye Floaters, Flashes and Seeing Spots in the Eye

Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
I've had these since my early 20's and I'm 58. I was told it could lead to a detached retina, but never had a problem, just a bit of annoyance. But do see an eye doctor to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness