Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
What were the Germans thinking during WW2? They were thinking of preserving their country from invading armies who started a war for the purpose of destroying Germany. That is what they were thinking. But first, neither Germany nor Hitler started WW2. It was a conspiracy between Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt that started the war. ......Just one last question. Is it at all possible that jews did something to the Germans that made the Germans mad at jews? Think about it.
Wow! I don't know where begin. A Hitler apologist - even those types usually don't post in public forums outside of the hardcore skinhead, Aryan nation, and neo-nazi sites.

But I give you credit - that is exactly probably the misguided beliefs in which the German people at the time were thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
Because a dictator with charisma and the gift of speech along with a well oiled propaganda machine and brute force can influence a population to follow him until the bitter end.

YouTube - Adolf Hitler - "Sieg Heil" long version high quality

Old 06-16-2010, 08:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
What were the Germans thinking during WW2? They were thinking of preserving their country from invading armies who started a war for the purpose of destroying Germany. That is what they were thinking. But first, neither Germany nor Hitler started WW2. It was a conspiracy between Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt that started the war. Second, let me ask you a question. Why did U.S. side with Stalin after the Soviets had murdered up to 20 million people before Hitler was even elected in 1933? Stalin was the biggest mass murderer since Ghengis Khan. So please no one give moral reasons for entering WW2. If we had to stop Hitler we surely had to stop Stalin. But I'm not going to get into this subject any deeper because it takes many years of studying to get an objective view of what happened and why. Just one last question. Is it at all possible that jews did something to the Germans that made the Germans mad at jews? Think about it.
You say you studied history????
Who were these invading armies?
The Martians, the termites? If you know please tell us because no one else that I'm aware of does.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,617 times
They were thinking they did not want to get blown up by allied bombers or arrested by the Gestapo.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:32 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
]What were the Germans thinking during WW2? They were thinking of preserving their country from invading armies who started a war for the purpose of destroying Germany. That is what they were thinking. But first, neither Germany nor Hitler started WW2. It was a conspiracy between Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt that started the war. Second, let me ask you a question. Why did U.S. side with Stalin after the Soviets had murdered up to 20 million people before Hitler was even elected in 1933? Stalin was the biggest mass murderer since Ghengis Khan. So please no one give moral reasons for entering WW2. If we had to stop Hitler we surely had to stop Stalin. But I'm not going to get into this subject any deeper because it takes many years of studying to get an objective view of what happened and why. Just one last question. Is it at all possible that jews did something to the Germans that made the Germans mad at jews? Think about it.

.................................................. .................................................. .....................

You know, I read a post like this and it just amazes me how "offbase" some people can get.

First, please describe this conspiracy you say existed between Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin that resulted in World War II. Now, which of the three people you just named was responsible for the fortification of the Rhineland in Germany which violated the Treaty of Versailles? Was it Roosevelt, Churchill, or Stalin that was responsible for the Austrian Anschluss? And who was the megalomaniac who marched his armies into the Sudentland and than subsequently seized the rest of Czechoslovakia in violation of the treaty he negotiated with Prime Ministers Daladier and Chamberlain? I'll give you a hint. The perpetrator of all of these acts has a last name that starts with an "H".

Second, this point has been raised before, but even if Stalin was a brutal butcher who murdered millions of his own people the difference between Hitler and he was that Hitler posed an external threat to the surrounding western nations. Stalin, on the other hand, was principally a threat to his own people and virtually no threat to his people.

Third, wars are less about morality than simple national survival. The USA chose those countries as allies who were at war with Hitler. Politics does make for strange bedfellows at times, but that's the way it is.

Fourth, the Jews existed and took up space. That's about all the Jews did to anger the Germans.

Fifth, and finally we did stop Stalin's country. It just took a bit longer. Its generally conceded the western nations won the Cold War and that it ended in about 1991.

Last edited by markg91359; 06-16-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Default I wonder if

I am no historian. I came to learn a little about European history late in life only because I had no choice. I am not going to try to twist history, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that after the HRE and it its Circles were dismantled the new Germany that evolved desired to regain the former power and glory of the past and the land/territlry they lost in treaties, ect..

I wonder if and how its history of aggression and unentended consequences affected the collective consciousness of the pepole when the war drums of WWII were approaching? After all WWI was still fresh in their memory.

Couldn't fear be a factor? .

Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
What were the Germans thinking during WW2? They were thinking of preserving their country from invading armies who started a war for the purpose of destroying Germany. That is what they were thinking. But first, neither Germany nor Hitler started WW2. It was a conspiracy between Stalin, Churchill, and Roosevelt that started the war. Second, let me ask you a question. Why did U.S. side with Stalin after the Soviets had murdered up to 20 million people before Hitler was even elected in 1933? Stalin was the biggest mass murderer since Ghengis Khan. So please no one give moral reasons for entering WW2. If we had to stop Hitler we surely had to stop Stalin. But I'm not going to get into this subject any deeper because it takes many years of studying to get an objective view of what happened and why. Just one last question. Is it at all possible that jews did something to the Germans that made the Germans mad at jews? Think about it.
You forgot to mention that Germany invaded Poland.... that is what started the war.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Most Germans didn't live in Dachau. Even still... while some undoubtedly knew, it is completely possible to live next to a prision and not know what happens there. How much do you know about the goings on at your local state prision? How about Guantanamo? Who would have known what happened there if someone on the inside didn't blab?

Plenty of people could tell you about some of the "special" things our own government has done but who wants to end up like this guy?

U.S. Intelligence Analyst Arrested in Wikileaks Video Probe | Threat Level | Wired.com

Are you responsible for the crimes your government had perpetrated? Are the rank and file grunts following orders guilty for staying silent? These are much harder questions to answer when they are part of one's real life experience, with real consequences and with the unfortunate circumstance of being forced to operate with a confounded sense of right and wrong.

So no, I don't blame the German people AT ALL. I blame the Nazi party, and the two aren't synonymous.
This raises a very interesting question. How much influence does the ordinary person have on the actions of the agencies of their government? All governments have secrets. Some simply control them better.

With the nazi's everything and everyone was controlled. If someone had decided to tell the citizenry about the death camps, who would have helped? We in our culture and our centuray have many ways to circulate information. That situation didn't exist then in Germany. People did hear whispers, but a whisper could cost your life. That said, most Germans did know that people dissapeared and chose to believe the convient lie. But did they do it out of loyalty or fear or practality? Or all of the above?

Dachau was different too. It was the first camp. Its first inmates were the Germans who could lead to opposition if they were given the chance. People did know what happened to some degree since they saw those who were released. It served as a warning to those who might follow. Later, the mass extermination camps were far away and there were rules which were intended to prevent knowledge of them from being passed on. Despite their belief that they would win (and presumable it wouldn't matter) those in command did not want their acts to be known and tried to destroy them in the end.

I can't hold the average German citizen blameless. They saw enough to wonder and yet they didn't ask questions. But I don't put the same weight as those who created and ran and profited from the slave labor.

And what of the foreign governments, including our own, who did know of the systematic murder but did nothing to at the least slow it? It was decided that the best way to help the victums was to win the war. But its been suggested that had they bombed the railroads which fed camps or the camps themselves it would have saved at least some. We'll never know since it was never happened, but then the same can be said about the Germans who did not ask. By the time the real atrocities were in place, would anyone have been allowed to hear?

There are some questions which will never be answered.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Stalin did not murder 20 million people. If you are talking about the total population of the gulags, it was somewhat under 3 million people. Considering that a portion of them were real criminals, the number of persecuted people drops even lower. Not to defend Stalin but being off by a factor of 10 doesn't exactly help your case.

Anyway, the reasons for interfering in WWII were geopolitical - not moral. (Morality plays a much smaller role in international relations than many commonly think). It was simply not in the interest of the United States (and Britain) for Germany (or any country for that matter) control of all Europe from the Atlantic Ocean to the Urals. Even it if it were Ghandi ruling that country instead of Hitler. Germany was considered a much greater geopolitical threat than the Soviet Union.

(BTW for most of 1930s Britain was very hesitant to rein in on Germany and enforce the terms of the Versailles treaty precisely because the British establishment viewed a Germany as a counterweight to the USSR (which they hated)).

Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 AM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
The Nazi's associated Jews with the founding of Communism- - Karl Marx, Leon Trotsky and others. And Communism in the 1930s had just caused the starvation of SEVERAL MILLION Ukranians who had been forced into unproductive collective grain farms by Joseph Stalin. The Nazi's saw this as an evil. When Nazi armies invaded the Ukraine, the natives there welcomed them as liberating them from Russian Communism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History